shellymarie

Should I be worried?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey, Good Morning Everyone!

First off, I'm completely embarrassed to post this because I don't want anyone to have the wrong impression of me. This whole situation was all a misunderstanding, but it resulted in something not so good. Was just wondering if anyone has been in any kind of similar situation, or if you know if I should be worried.

Long story short...in 2011, I made a stupid mistake with my bank account. :bonk: Without going into too much detail, I made a check deposit through an ATM machine, but I guess I was having an off day, and I forgot to put the check in the envelope. When the bank stumbled upon this the same day, my account was closed. Of course, I went to the bank, paid all the associated fees (within 2 days of this happening) and was hoping my account could be reopened. However, I was told that my account was flagged for "fraudulent behavior" and that they wouldn't be able to reopen my account.

They never pursued anything further, no police involvement, no charges etc. The only thing that came from it was that they put a "flag" on my name, preventing me from opening any bank accounts for 5 years (which will be off of my name this coming January 2016). Also, they did provide me a letter stating that the account had been paid in full etc.

My question is...do I have anything to worry about with my background check? Do you think this is something that would show up...and even if it shows up, would it be something that would prevent my petition from being approved? The only reason I'm even concerned because the lady at the bank said it was "fraudulent" even though it was a complete accident/oversight on my part. I have nothing else on my record.

Thanks so much in advance!

Edited by shellymarie

Matt & Mish

:) 12/25/13 "Met" online (Instagram)

(L) 5/29/14 Became a couple

:wub: 2/4/15 First meeting in person (I spent almost 3 weeks in Brazil!)

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

6/27/15 Case received & case number assigned

6/30/15 Case shipped to Embassy in Rio

EMBASSY:

7/6/15 Case received by Embassy

7/20/15 Received "packet 3" email

9/18/15 Medical exam

9/29/15 Interview-APPROVED!!!

(F)"Every love story is beautiful; but ours is my favorite" (F)

I would be 99% sure you have nothing to worry about. This is just a safeguard banks implement to prevent fradulent behavior on the account. My account has been flagged 7 times in one day for the same thing. I was trying to transfer money from the UK to the USA and use my card here in the USA. With each purchase they put a hold on my account because of "fraudulent behavior." Nothing came of it, other than a huge inconvenice to me having to call an international number and spending hours on the phone.

So, unless the police have been involved and you were charged with criminal preceedings in court, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I also, don't understand how they can close your account without any notice. A bank will not usually close your account, they will put a hold on it. The other thing that strikes me as weird, is the idea that you are prevented from actually opening another account for 5 years within their system using your name. That's strange to me.

Edited by DaveNot

The issues with opening another account come From TeleCheck a vetting company for Banking transactions once you get in their system you can not open an account in your name anywhere till it is cleared out of the system. TeleCheck is used by retail companies to check if you can cash checks and by banks to keep track of people that might be doing shady things. Once cleared out of the system you should not have any issues.

Service Center : California Service Center on 2014-03-17Consulate : London, United KingdomI-129F Sent : 2014-03-10I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-14I-129F NOA2 : 2014-04-07NVC Received :4/21/2014NVC Left :4/23/2014Consulate Received :2014-04-29Packet 3 Received :2014-05-01Packet 3 Sent :2014-05-01Medical Complete: 2014-05-07Packet 4 Received :2014-5-31Interview Date :2014-06-06Visa Issued: 2014-06-10Visa Package Received: 2014-06-13Arrival at POE Seattle: 2014-6-13

Married 07/07/2014

AOS Timeline
AOS package mailed 08/08/2014 (Chicago Lockbox)
NOA date 8/13/2014
Biometrics done 09/14/2014
INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 10/31/2014
Approval e-mail 10/31/2014
Card production e-mail 12/27/2011
GREEN CARD ARRIVED 11/08/201

Employment Authorization Document
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2014-09-04
Approved Date : 2014-09-25
Date Card Received : 2014-10-03

ADVANCED Parole
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance :First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2014-10-03

ROC Timeline
ROC package mailed to CSC 10/13/2016
NOA1 date 10/17/2016
Biometrics date 12/8/2016

Interview: None
Card production ordered: 03/27/2018
10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED

Timeline

I would be 99% sure you have nothing to worry about. This is just a safeguard banks implement to prevent fradulent behavior on the account. My account has been flagged 7 times in one day for the same thing. I was trying to transfer money from the UK to the USA and use my card here in the USA. With each purchase they put a hold on my account because of "fraudulent behavior." Nothing came of it, other than a huge inconvenice to me having to call an international number and spending hours on the phone.

So, unless the police have been involved and you were charged with criminal preceedings in court, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I also, don't understand how they can close your account without any notice. A bank will not usually close your account, they will put a hold on it. The other thing that strikes me as weird, is the idea that you are prevented from actually opening another account for 5 years within their system using your name. That's strange to me.

Thanks so much for your response!

It was so long ago, I don't even remember the exact reasoning as to why they took that route. I think my account was negative at the time (which is the reason I was going to deposit the check in the first place). I think they thought I was up to something, but it truly was just a complete accident on my part. I was younger at the time, and my first time really being on my own (before that, my grandmother used to handle everything for me-I'm not really the type to speak up in confrontational situations, or stick up for myself lol). I was so completely embarrassed by being called a fraud, that once they gave me their explanation as to why my account was closed, I just accepted it instead of trying to fight it. Looking back, I should have fought it, but nothing I can really do about that now.

Hopefully, it won't interfere with anything! Thanks again!

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

Timeline

The issues with opening another account come From TeleCheck a vetting company for Banking transactions once you get in their system you can not open an account in your name anywhere till it is cleared out of the system. TeleCheck is used by retail companies to check if you can cash checks and by banks to keep track of people that might be doing shady things. Once cleared out of the system you should not have any issues.

haha yep! I learned all of this recently (per my response above, I never really pushed the issue anymore at the time-which looking back now, I realize that was dumb lol). Recently, I was going to try to get it cleared off my name since I came across the letter that the bank gave me showing I paid all the fees etc, but once I found out that this will be off my name in January, I'm just going to let it come off by itself.

I guess my concern was whether or not the "fraudulent" term would show up on my background check done by USCIS or not?

Thanks for your response! :)

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

One item to consider moving forward: after you are married, especially for the RoC stage, you'll need to show that you are both financially merged. So you will need to have at least one joint bank account together. ;)

K-1
03/09/12 - NoA1
10/04/12 - NoA2 (210 days)

AoS

01/25/13 - NoA1
08/15/13 - NoA2 (199 days)

RoC
05/21/15 - NoA1

11/02/15 - NoA2 (164 days)

N-400

08/18/16 - NoA1
03/14/17 - Interview

03/16/17 - Oath Ceremony (217 days)

US citizen

Total time start to finish: 5 years, 12 days (1,838 days)

Timeline

EEEK! oh no! how far into the process is that? as long as it's after January, i should be ok because that's when the flag comes off my name!

One item to consider moving forward: after you are married, especially for the RoC stage, you'll need to show that you are both financially merged. So you will need to have at least one joint bank account together. ;)

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

EEEK! oh no! how far into the process is that? as long as it's after January, i should be ok because that's when the flag comes off my name!

Years from now. No worries.

At this point you will just need to prove you meet the income requirement for the I-134 that is provided to the foreign fiance(e) for the K-1 visa interview.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Foreign banks do weird things. My fiance didnt use his German account for 3 months and it was closed without notifying him. He went to draw money from his account and nothing worked, he called the number on the back of his card and all they would tell him was that the account was closed and could not be reopened. 2 weeks later the letter came in the mail explaining why. It seems its in the fine print that the account must be used each month in some way or form or else it is flagged for fraud.... He cant open an account with them again ever. My German bank is not insane and I regularly dont use my account for months at a time. Same thing with my UK account. No issues ever.

Timeline

Years from now. No worries.

At this point you will just need to prove you meet the income requirement for the I-134 that is provided to the foreign fiance(e) for the K-1 visa interview.

perfect...thank you SO much! :)

Foreign banks do weird things. My fiance didnt use his German account for 3 months and it was closed without notifying him. He went to draw money from his account and nothing worked, he called the number on the back of his card and all they would tell him was that the account was closed and could not be reopened. 2 weeks later the letter came in the mail explaining why. It seems its in the fine print that the account must be used each month in some way or form or else it is flagged for fraud.... He cant open an account with them again ever. My German bank is not insane and I regularly dont use my account for months at a time. Same thing with my UK account. No issues ever.

Oh wow! That's strange! I'm sorry that happened! But glad nothing serious came about from it!

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.