ANJOS

AOS from K1 is horrible!

30 posts in this topic

I've been waiting nearly a year since I filed for AOS!!! This is insane. I came here on K1 and filed for AOS in July 2014 and still haven't gotten anywhere. I keep calling and I keep getting different answers. One day my case is in Minesota the next I'm told it's Haileah, Florida. I'm told it takes long because we qualify for an interview waiver. Quite frankly I rather and interview and be over with this.

I suggest anyone thinking in coming on a K1 to please do a lot of research. It really isn't worth coming and waiting so long. I would have rathered getting married overseas and filing for

I-130.

I know people that have came into the states with tourist visas, have stayed here illegally and gotten married and filed the I-130 and they have gotten their papers quickly. This is just ridiculous.

Filed: Timeline

I've been waiting nearly a year since I filed for AOS!!! This is insane. I came here on K1 and filed for AOS in July 2014 and still haven't gotten anywhere. I keep calling and I keep getting different answers. One day my case is in Minesota the next I'm told it's Haileah, Florida. I'm told it takes long because we qualify for an interview waiver. Quite frankly I rather and interview and be over with this.

I suggest anyone thinking in coming on a K1 to please do a lot of research. It really isn't worth coming and waiting so long. I would have rathered getting married overseas and filing for

I-130.

I know people that have came into the states with tourist visas, have stayed here illegally and gotten married and filed the I-130 and they have gotten their papers quickly. This is just ridiculous.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I have a gut feeling that eventually I will receive an Interview Waiver Letter as well. So many people in my monthly filer thread have already gotten the "Ready to be scheduled an interview" case status update. A bunch of them already have an interview date set.

I agree that the waiting time with the Interview Waiver Letter is plain ridiculous. Being K1 adjusters we went through so much, filled out tons of paperwork, waited long months, had our realtionships scrunitized at the US Embassy interview and now some of us gotta wait a year! Whereas those who came to the US on a tourist (or whatever else) visa are required to have an interview and therefore the vast majority of them is done with AOS in 4-6 months! It is so not fair.

I also wish my husband and I would have filed for the IR-1/CR-1 (spousal) visa. That way the wait would have been roughly a year (or a little more) and I would have received a greencard on arrival.

I hope you hear from the USCIS soon. Good luck! :)

Edited by YouAndMeForever

The interview letter is a mere joke. It says I qualify for a waiver but it is not guarantee. Why send it?!! . If they believe that people are using the K1 to come in fraudulently then they need to remove it and that's all. I just want my husband to complete this process and become a USC.

I've also seen many receive RFE's for te medical but coming with the K1 you already have one done abroad.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok... so I "Senator up"... quite a bit. But it gets me what I want. We have been on that, "ready to be scheduled" list, waited OVER a year before I finally got fed up. Our Senator has helped us so much I wouldn't be surprised to get a Christmas card from him this year. And he's come through each time! Have you guys tried contacting the Senator for your area to have them look into your case? As soon as we did that, we received our interview letter in about a month and a half. Contact your Senator AND Congressman. Don't sit and wait, be proactive. There are also ombudsmans who can advocate for you and check into your case. But I would start from the top.

Edited by MouadsWife

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

When I called USCIS on 5/28/15 I was told that they had finally begun working on my case as of 5/26/15 (of course I think the officer just wanted to calm me down).

I will call my senator on Monday to see if they can further assist me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

When I called USCIS on 5/28/15 I was told that they had finally begun working on my case as of 5/26/15 (of course I think the officer just wanted to calm me down).

Ask them for their fax number and send them a detailed goings on of your case. They will need your spouses info so when they contact uscis they will be able to look up his/her information. Tell them in the letter you would like them to inquire on your behalf... (spouses behalf). Let them know how long this has been taking, and each time you call you receive same response. .. let them you are being told you are scheduled for an interview but you are not getting an interview after a year...etc. and you need his assistance. You can write more than one senator.... take the one that picks up the request first. I had two senators for my area. Write all the ones for your area... as I said take the one that bites first. Only one senator can work this case at a time. But a congressman and a senator can work together. So look up a congressman also. Hope this helps.

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to Fam.-based AOS Progress Forum~

~Commentary about case status~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Our 1 year anniversary from noa date was 5/20/15. We still are waiting. There are cases being approved from july, august filers and still there are people waiting that were march, april, may filers. There is no logic to how they are processed. Some cases are getting rfe for a new medical because of uscis delay the medical has expired. Once cases turn in the new medical, they are approved

8/22/15 Received notice of interview "call in letter" for September 1st 8am

9/01/15 AOS Interview Houston-APPROVED!

9/01/15 Card in production, Welcome notice has been mailed

9/05/15 Welcome Notice Received

9/08/15 Greencard was mailed

9/10/15 GREENCARD RECEIVED!!!!!!!!

ROC

6/2/17 mailed I-751 to csc priority mail

7/1/17 I-751 returned rejected (multiple items)

7/3/17 I-751 mailed again with signature confirmation

7/6/17 second I-751 delivered and signed for by Daniel Manchaca

7/10/17  Check Cashed

7/10/17  NOA

7/22/17  Biometrics letter for 8/2/17

8/02/17 Biometrics appointment DONE

3/05/18 case moved to local office

8/25/18 Extension letter (18 months)

9/29/18 service request submitted

10/06/18 response to service request

10/11/18  approved. No RFE, no interview

10/16/18  approval letter received in the mail

10/19/18 greencard received

I filed on 3/18/14 and received my GC yesterday so just over 14 months :( . its worth the wait and if you do get an interview and its like mine was in Atlanta its a total waste of time

Petitioner: Wifey! (US born citizen)
Beneficiary: Hubby! (British born)

[Feburary 2010] Met
[04/05/2010] Began talking
[05/07/2010] Start of our relationship together
[10/01/2011] Met in person for the 1st time in the UK
[10/14/2011] Officially engaged!
[April 2012] Found an attorney
[May 2012] Began I-129F
[05/31/2012] Attorney mailed I-129F
[06/04/2012] Email confirmation of Application/Petition received
[06/07/2012] Check cleared in Dallas
[06/11/2012] NOA1 received in mail
[09/15/2012] Went back to the UK to see my fiance
[01/07/2013] Received RFE
[02/12/2013] Vermont Received RFE Response
[02/18/2013] Petition APPROVED (259 Days)
[03/01/2013] Received at NVC
[03/05/2013] Left NVC
[03/15/2013] Arrived at Consulate in London
[03/29/2013] Received Packet 3
[04/08/2013] Sent Packet 3
[04/15/2013] Fiance's medical in London

[05/01/2013] Received Packet 4

[05/20/2013] Interview!!!

[05/20/2013] VISA APPROVED

an1cHmr-O6k0610MzM0MDg2bHw4NzY2NmxhfHdlX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I have a gut feeling that eventually I will receive an Interview Waiver Letter as well. So many people in my monthly filer thread have already gotten the "Ready to be scheduled an interview" case status update. A bunch of them already have an interview date set.

I agree that the waiting time with the Interview Waiver Letter is plain ridiculous. Being K1 adjusters we went through so much, filled out tons of paperwork, waited long months, had our realtionships scrunitized at the US Embassy interview and now some of us gotta wait a year! Whereas those who came to the US on a tourist (or whatever else) visa are required to have an interview and therefore the vast majority of them is done with AOS in 4-6 months! It is so not fair.

I also wish my husband and I would have filed for the IR-1/CR-1 (spousal) visa. That way the wait would have been roughly a year (or a little more) and I would have received a greencard on arrival.

I hope you hear from the USCIS soon. Good luck! :)

You know I agree with you 100%. What i'm wondering is how long should we wait until we begin taking action like asking a senator or something like that.

2014-05-08 Sent I-129f
2014-05-12 I-129f received
2014-05-15 Received NOA1 email
2014-05-19 Received NOA1 hardcopy
2014-09-10 NOA2 Approved
2014-09-30 Package Left from NVC
2014-10-06 Received by Embassy
2014-10-31 Interview, Approved.
2014-11-03 Picked up visa.
2014-12-25 POE Ft. Lauderdale

2015-01-02 Wedding

---AOS---

2015-01-09 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

2015-01-12 AOS package received

2015-01-14 Email received: Case accepted and routed

2015-01-15 Check cashed

2015-01-20 Received NOAs in the mail

2015-02-07 Received Biometrics letter in the mail

2015-02-19 Biometrics Appt in Raleigh office.

2015-03-13 EAD and AP approved

2015-03-19 EAD and AP sent

2015-03-21 Received EAD/AP combo card

2015-03-26 Received 2nd Biometrics appointment for Charlotte office

2015-04-08 2nd Biometrics

2015-06-15 Received NPIW dated 06-11

2015-08-01 Green Card Approved

2015-08-03 Welcome Letter Mailed

2015-08-07 Welcome Letter Received

2015-08-22 Card Mailed

2015-08-26 Card Received

2015-11-20 Enlisted in the USMC

2016-02-16 Shipping date to bootcamp

Honestly the EAD and AP are all I care about right now, once I have those they can take however long they want with the actual green card. All I need is the ability to work.

Edit: also, getting senators involved just delays the process for everyone else.

Edited by justin-s

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We've been waiting over a year too. Newest info for us is getting a request for information sent to Guam. That's crazy to us, but we are at their mercy. USPS says they should get our response to an RFE on Monday in Guam, so we too are quite frustrated.

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.