35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Now is'nt that interesting that it does not matter, as you do put the original DS-160 #AA number from the barcode on your Notification of readiness form when you submit it.

Not wishing to disagree here, but if it was me, and I was doing a new one, I'd take the original confirmaition page with me on the day as well as the new one, in case I could not get through the security without the right barcode!

..it's only one more sheet of paper ot carry :)

Edited by Lauren and Kevin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I did the same thing on my DS160 (different question) and did a new DS160. I emailed the embassy about it and had both confirmation pages with me, just in case. It doesn't matter that you already have an interview scheduled, they will take your latest form.

And yes, fiance is immediate family in this situation :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

You will need to correct the question about the visa denial and also that question about immediate family, it clearly state in the "explanation text" that a fiancé is considered immediate family. The ds160 says in the end - did you answered everything truthfully and Blabla...

I had to re-do a ds160 once, all you need to do is make a new one but also change the code at your account at ustraveldocs (update info about you) that box needs to be updated with the new ds160 code.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I already did a new one correctly with the denied visa and immediate family I'll bring the 2 confirmation page on the day of interview. With regards to account at ustraveldocs I don't have one.

I already did a new one correctly with the denied visa and immediate family I'll bring the 2 confirmation page on the day of interview. With regards to account at ustraveldocs I don't have one.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Singapore
Timeline

I had the K1 visa interview in Singapore in November 2014. There will be two officers. The first officer will go through all of your documents with you. I agree with RobRod. Immediately give him the new DS 160 confirmation page and immediately explain to him that you made a mistake. He is very professional and will know what to do. He will then take all of your documents and give them to the next officer who will interview you and make the final decision to grant you the K1 visa. The second officer will consult with the first officer. Everything should be easily cleared up.

What's most important is that you stay calm and be prepared for your interview next Friday. The second officer is extremely nice, kind and professional. But if you're very nervous and trip up on your answers, he may suspect that you may be hiding something. He may then end up looking for something else, apart from the denial of a tourist visa.

I just had my green card interview two days ago (and it was approved) and the officer at the field office was even more detailed and fast in her questioning compared to the officers at the US Embassy in Singapore. I'm sure you're super prepared with the paperwork. Now be calm and you'll do great for the interview. Good Luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No, your fiance is not considered immediate family. Immediate family would be parents and siblings.

When I did it, there was a drop down and fiancé(e) was considered immediate family.

I made a mistake or two or king so I just did filled out a new one.

Edited by Howeetest D

Got engaged: 10 May 2014

I-129F Sent : 02 Feb 2015

I-129F NOA1 : 10 Feb 2015

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 06 Mar 2015

Hrdcpy NOA2: 12 Mar 2015

NVC Received: 22 Apr 2015

Case # Assig: 23 Apr 2015

NVC Left : 29 Apr 2015

Embassy Received:05 May 2015

Medical Date: 07 May 2015

Packet 3 Received:07 May 2015

Packet 3 Sent: 07 May 2015

Packet 4 Received:19 May 2015

Interview Date: 16 Jun 2015 (Approved)

Issued: 29 Jun 2015

At Depot: 02 Jul 2015

P.O.A: 06 Aug 2015

Wedding: 28 Aug 2015

v5Hb.png

Timeline

I had the K1 visa interview in Singapore in November 2014. There will be two officers. The first officer will go through all of your documents with you. I agree with RobRod. Immediately give him the new DS 160 confirmation page and immediately explain to him that you made a mistake. He is very professional and will know what to do. He will then take all of your documents and give them to the next officer who will interview you and make the final decision to grant you the K1 visa. The second officer will consult with the first officer. Everything should be easily cleared up.

What's most important is that you stay calm and be prepared for your interview next Friday. The second officer is extremely nice, kind and professional. But if you're very nervous and trip up on your answers, he may suspect that you may be hiding something. He may then end up looking for something else, apart from the denial of a tourist visa.

I just had my green card interview two days ago (and it was approved) and the officer at the field office was even more detailed and fast in her questioning compared to the officers at the US Embassy in Singapore. I'm sure you're super prepared with the paperwork. Now be calm and you'll do great for the interview. Good Luck!

I am really anxious and nervous for my upcoming interview. It's quite a relief to know all the infos you all been giving me.I send an email to Singapore Consulate query about it they say they will follow up I don't know what to expect now. It feels like I wanted to cry and hoping this process will end up nicely because I have waited for almost 5 years for us to be together for good.Hope and pray for the best!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Singapore
Timeline

I'm sure that everything will work out great at the interview! Also when the first officer tells you the procedure that will follow the completion of the interview, you may perhaps like to write it down. I was surprised to get the instructions from the first officer instead of the second officer. The instructions are really useful such as the wait time for the K1 stamp in your passport and when / where to get back your passport. Some people agree that it'd be best to select People's Park Center as the self drop off / pick up point for your passport (instead of using a courier service). Also the second officer may not necessarily inform you that your visa will be approved at the end of the interview. You must check online and keep tracking online for when you can collect your passport.

Two more very important things which I didn't know about and I messed up.

1) After you arrive at your point of entry in the US, you will have exactly 90 days not only to get married but also only 90 days for your work authorization as a K1 to be processed. See here http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/fiance-marriage-visa-book/chapter5-22.html. Even though you have the right to apply for work authorization, it will take a long time for USCIS to process and mail you the EAD. So your work authorization may expire by the time you get it. So if you really want the work authorization, try to apply for it immediately upon entering the US.

2) Go apply for your social security number immediately after entry. Your right to a SSN while on a K1 visa expires on the 76th day from the date of your point of entry. After the 76th day, you will have to wait until you get your work authorization or green card as the spouse, the adjustment of status (AOS) then you can easily apply for the SSN.

BTW, in addition to Visa Journey, www.nolo.com and it's legal encyclopedia is very useful.

Good Luck! Everything will work out great!

Timeline

I'm sure that everything will work out great at the interview! Also when the first officer tells you the procedure that will follow the completion of the interview, you may perhaps like to write it down. I was surprised to get the instructions from the first officer instead of the second officer. The instructions are really useful such as the wait time for the K1 stamp in your passport and when / where to get back your passport. Some people agree that it'd be best to select People's Park Center as the self drop off / pick up point for your passport (instead of using a courier service). Also the second officer may not necessarily inform you that your visa will be approved at the end of the interview. You must check online and keep tracking online for when you can collect your passport.

Two more very important things which I didn't know about and I messed up.

1) After you arrive at your point of entry in the US, you will have exactly 90 days not only to get married but also only 90 days for your work authorization as a K1 to be processed. See here http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/fiance-marriage-visa-book/chapter5-22.html. Even though you have the right to apply for work authorization, it will take a long time for USCIS to process and mail you the EAD. So your work authorization may expire by the time you get it. So if you really want the work authorization, try to apply for it immediately upon entering the US.

2) Go apply for your social security number immediately after entry. Your right to a SSN while on a K1 visa expires on the 76th day from the date of your point of entry. After the 76th day, you will have to wait until you get your work authorization or green card as the spouse, the adjustment of status (AOS) then you can easily apply for the SSN.

BTW, in addition to Visa Journey, www.nolo.com and it's legal encyclopedia is very useful.

Good Luck! Everything will work out great!

Thanks a lot for your encouranging words and advice ? Hope all went well, and passed this phase of my journey.

Thanks for all the response.?

• 1 month later...

we just checked from NVC about K1 FIANCE VISA. they forwarded our case to Embassy at 30 th June 2015. Now today i just filled up DS 160 form and submitted. But i am confused about DS 260. can you please confirm whether i should submit DS 160 or 260?. becoz on the website DS 160 is related to nonimmigration Visa and DS 260 is related to immigration visa? what is all about? explain plz

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

we just checked from NVC about K1 FIANCE VISA. they forwarded our case to Embassy at 30 th June 2015. Now today i just filled up DS 160 form and submitted. But i am confused about DS 260. can you please confirm whether i should submit DS 160 or 260?. becoz on the website DS 160 is related to nonimmigration Visa and DS 260 is related to immigration visa? what is all about? explain plz

If I'm not completely mistaken DS-160 is for K1 and DS-260 is for CR1.

If I'm not completely mistaken DS-160 is for K1 and DS-260 is for CR1.

Yes, I agree. DS-160 for K-1 and DS-260 for CR-1. The fiance visa is treated as a immigrant visa by the DoS, because it's a non-immigrant visa with immigrant intent. When you are checking your status, you will use the immigrant section of CEAC.GOV, but when the visa is issued, the title should update to Non-Immingrant.

Signature coming soon...

Thank you for your answer. it is really helpful.

now NVC confirmed to send our case to Embassy 30 th june 2015 and provided us INVOICE NO and NVC NO. Today 14 July 2015 i submitted my DS 160 form and keep saved confirmation. Now what is my next step?

Q1: I have to wait for embassy action or i should contact them to get update?

Q2: My action was correct that i submitted DS 160 after arriving my case at Embassy?

Q3: How can i check status of my case whether it is under process or Ready?

Yes, I agree. DS-160 for K-1 and DS-260 for CR-1. The fiance visa is treated as a immigrant visa by the DoS, because it's a non-immigrant visa with immigrant intent. When you are checking your status, you will use the immigrant section of CEAC.GOV, but when the visa is issued, the title should update to Non-Immingrant.

Hello Friend,

Can you plz tell me what was in Packet 3 ?

When I did it, there was a drop down and fiancé(e) was considered immediate family.

I made a mistake or two or king so I just did filled out a new one.

Thank you for your answer. it is really helpful.

now NVC confirmed to send our case to Embassy 30 th june 2015 and provided us INVOICE NO and NVC NO. Today 14 July 2015 i submitted my DS 160 form and keep saved confirmation. Now what is my next step?

Q1: I have to wait for embassy action or i should contact them to get update?

Q2: My action was correct that i submitted DS 160 after arriving my case at Embassy?

Q3: How can i check status of my case whether it is under process or Ready?

1) You can contact them using their immigrant visa email. Give them your NVC number and DS-160 application number as well as the names of the parties (petitioner and beneficiary). Ask them for an interview, and they will either schedule you or let you know that they need to review your file before they can schedule your interview.

2) Yes, you were correct. The embassy will need you to fill out the DS-160, but you have this done now.

3) You check the status of the case using: https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/

Use the NVC number in the immigrant section and it may say "Ready". You can use the Nonimmigrant section and use your DS-160 application number, which may say "No Status". Checking the NVC number is more accurate.

Hello Friend,

Can you plz tell me what was in Packet 3 ?

Each country is different, so you may want to check the UAE portal up at the top tabs. The information that Jamaica, UK, Romania, etc needs will be different from that which UAE will need.

Signature coming soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.