New User 1000

Refused at US Consulate in Montreal

357 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

I had my visa interview yesterday at the US Consulate in Montreal. I am being sponsored by my husband who is a US Citizen. However, I was given white 221 (g) and was told to send one missing document. Basically my husband lives with me here in Canada and hence his parents are providing the affidavit of support. We had only completed I-864A and not I-864. The 221(g) request the we complete I864 and submit it to the US Consulate. He has kept my passport and everything else. Has anyone ever been through this and what is the experience like? How long does it take? Any information will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

My wife received her 221g on May 15 because I did not make enough income in 2014. I had plenty of money in the bank and also brokerage statements from stocks that I own but the CO would not approve it because only he only said bank accounts count as income. If I had known that I would have sold some stocks and put it in my bank account. And I had to get my dad to do a joint sponsor 864. His taxes were not done so I had to wait until june 5 for the CPA to finish. I sent my wife the original 864 along with all my dads 1099s. Also it can only be sent from Loomis and Loomis does not have a US branch. So had her go to Fed ex and than Loomis to mail it which she did yesterday. So it seems like the end of July is the timeline now but who knows maybe an t was forgot to be crossed somewhere so that will add another 5 months to the wait. What a nightmare this process has been! Yet if you are from south of the border you can walk across and get full benefits, pay no taxes and get free healthcare. I know because I have coworkers who are Mexican who tell me this. Yet still have been over 2 years in process because of this bureaucratic nightmare. Good luck to all . Sorry for the rant....

USCIS

07-23-13 NOA1

12-13-13 NOA2

NVC

01-14-14 case received by NVC

02-19-14 case number and IIN# assigned, gave NVC email add.

02-19-14 optin for electronic processing email sent

02-24-14 submitted DS-261

02-25-14 invoiced and paid for I-864

02-27-14 AOS shown as paid

03-10-14 optin email accepted by NVC

03-11-14 DS-261 accepted by NVC

03-12-14 scanned and emailed AOS

03-12-14 invoiced and paid for IV fees

03-24-14 IV fees shown as paid

04-02-14 Received and Resubmitted AOS checklist

08-01-14 DS-260 completed and submitted by wife

10-12-14 IV docs scanned and emailed

10-14-14 NVC scan date letter recd 10/27

03-17-15 case complete

04-23-15 medical- Surrey BC

05-15-15 interview - Montreal

xx-xx-15 wife receipt of passport with US PR visa

xx-xx-15 wife in US

Timeline

Hi I completely understand your frustration. The officer actually was really nice to me and told me that I was just missing that form. I even apologized and he said "don't worry, it's ok". I didn't think to ask how long the process would take and I didn't even know this could happen. It is super confusing of the status on caec website. It went from ready to AP to ready but the description of the status below doesn't align with what the consulate have emailed me. However this whole waiting thing is just ridiculous and nervewrecking. I wish they came up with better system. Honestly NVC should have told me that I was missing I-864 and I would have gotten that. I called them so many times before I submitted everything and not even once they told me such thing.

Well all in all, there is nothing we can do but impatiently check the status, wait and hope for the best. Good luck to you.

Edited by New User 1000

Timeline

We are in a similar position. My hubby interviwed on 5/5 and was given 221 g for missing a document NVC never requested or gave checklist for and a joint sponsor. Provided and sent via Loomis .Delivered on 5/19..but consulate didn't update until 5/29..File updated from AP to READY on 6/2. File updated on 6/3,6/4 & 6/8 but still on READY..Finally sent email today will see what the response is..And so we wait and ......wait..!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think I may be pissing them off now. I sent them my new US email address and asked again when I can expect to have this processed. This was their reply:

Good morning,

You have been advised on several communications that your documents were received on June 5th, 2015. We ask that all applicants allow for 8 weeks of processing time from the day we receive your documents. Please do not send multi inquiries regarding the same issue as you have already been advised of the procedure.

OP11
Correspondence Unit | Immigrant Visa

U.S. Consulate General in Montreal

We also contacted our Congresswoman to see if there is anything she could do to help us. But I'm thinking it's futile at this point. Does anyone have any experience that it's quicker than 8 weeks?

Okay if you look, there was someone who had an interview in Dec, sent the document in Jan, and didn't get the visa until May. So that's what I would base your timeline on.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Hi!!

not sure if this apply on this cases but The Department of State posted a note on their FB page saying that "They continue to experience technical problems with the Visa systems and they are unable to print most immigrant and nonimmigrant Visas" They apologize and Blah blah blah!!!

This makes no sense!!! but its happening!!! More waiting!!

Edited by Idy Fdez

Timeline

I have read this entire thread and ohhh I feel for all of you.. :(
It was awful for us when we got an RFE during the initial petition that delayed us 2 1/2 months, but to get to the

interview - last step and have this, I can only imagine how frustrating. I am so sorry and I am thinking about all

of you and praying for speedy process.

Please keep us updated. Hope to hear some good news on this thread very soon.

Kimberley and Richard
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
2012-01-25 : I-129F Sent
2012-01-27 : VSC Received
2012-01-31 : I-129F NOA1 Notice Date
2012-02-01 : Touch
2012-07-05 : RFE Email (after 161 days)
2012-07-11 : RFE Received in Mail
2012-07-12 : RFE Reply Sent via USPS Overnight
2012-07-13 : RFE Reply Received at VSC at 12:16 PM
2012-07-18 : Case status updated to: "Request for Evidence Response Review"
2012-09-20 : Service Request Submitted with Tier 2 ISO
2012-09-25 : NOA2 Approved after 242 days!!
2013-01-07: Medical
2013-01-22: Interview - Approved! smile.png

My blog and video review of the Montreal Hotel that we stayed in: http://fanatictourist.com/blog/travel-tales/review-le-square-phillips-hotel-and-suites-montreal-canada/

2013-04-30: POE - Sarnia / Pt. Huron

2013-05-06: Made it legal.

2013-06-10: Apply for AOS, EAD and AP

2013-08-27: EAD / AP Received
2013-09-17: Greencard Received

2013-09-28: Wedding! smile.png

2015-06-15: Sent I-751 Application - Removal of Conditions.
2015-11-23: Approved
2015-12-02: 10 yr Green Card Rec'd.

Timeline

Thank you Texas 22 the technical issue is evidently causing serious delays to those approved at interview and those of us given 221g who have sent the additional documents.Just saw a review for someone who had their interview on 6/9 in Vancover and was approved..They emailed the consulate yesterday and received this respnse ...There is a worldwide computer problems (so ALL Consulates everywhere) and they cannot print visas.The problems affects people who had interviews after June 9th .That is the official day they are announcing. They do not know how long it will take to fix the problem or to catch up the delayed cases..We would be in this latter bucket I think.Really not much else we can do but pray and try not to become too stressed. Will break my heart for our son to spend another Father's day without is dad. Hopefully we'll all get status. ISSUED soon.

Timeline

This is on MONTREAL'S website

Possible Visa Services Interruption

15 June 2015

The Department of States Bureau of Consular Affairs is currently experiencing technical problems with its visa systems. This issue is not specific to any particular country or visa category. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working urgently to correct the problem and restore full operability.

Currently, we are unable to print most immigrant and nonimmigrant visas approved after June 8, 2015. In addition, U.S. embassies and consulates are unable to process new applications submitted on or after June 9, 2015. Individuals with visa interview appointments scheduled for June 14-20, 2015, should reschedule their appointments if they submitted a DS-160 online application after June 9, 2015. Appointments can be rescheduled by following the instructions located on https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-CA/niv. Individuals who submitted their DS-160 online applications prior to June 9, 2015, should plan to attend their scheduled visa interview appointments. Those with urgent travel should follow the instructions for expedited emergency appointment found on https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-CA/niv.

Timeline

Wow that is just awful. :( Let's hope they fix it fast!!

Kimberley and Richard
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
2012-01-25 : I-129F Sent
2012-01-27 : VSC Received
2012-01-31 : I-129F NOA1 Notice Date
2012-02-01 : Touch
2012-07-05 : RFE Email (after 161 days)
2012-07-11 : RFE Received in Mail
2012-07-12 : RFE Reply Sent via USPS Overnight
2012-07-13 : RFE Reply Received at VSC at 12:16 PM
2012-07-18 : Case status updated to: "Request for Evidence Response Review"
2012-09-20 : Service Request Submitted with Tier 2 ISO
2012-09-25 : NOA2 Approved after 242 days!!
2013-01-07: Medical
2013-01-22: Interview - Approved! smile.png

My blog and video review of the Montreal Hotel that we stayed in: http://fanatictourist.com/blog/travel-tales/review-le-square-phillips-hotel-and-suites-montreal-canada/

2013-04-30: POE - Sarnia / Pt. Huron

2013-05-06: Made it legal.

2013-06-10: Apply for AOS, EAD and AP

2013-08-27: EAD / AP Received
2013-09-17: Greencard Received

2013-09-28: Wedding! smile.png

2015-06-15: Sent I-751 Application - Removal of Conditions.
2015-11-23: Approved
2015-12-02: 10 yr Green Card Rec'd.

Timeline

Hi to all:

This are the latter news from the DoS FB page updated today at 6.00pm:

UPDATE: We continue to address technical problems with our visa systems. Public and private sector experts are working around the clock to correct the problem, but we do not expect the system will be online before next week. Some visa applicants will experience delays in receiving their visas. Others will be contacted directly to reschedule their upcoming appointments. If you have urgent humanitarian travel needs, you should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

For the full text of our latest update, please visit our website.

We do understand this is affecting your travel, and we apologize. Please understand that we cannot respond to individual case inquiries via social media platforms. Please visit the website of your local embassy/consulate for location-specific information, and contact the embassy or consulate where you applied for your visa if you have questions about your individual case or if you would like to retrieve your passport until your visa can be printed. We will continue to post updated information as it becomes available.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.