New User 1000

Refused at US Consulate in Montreal

357 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

I had my visa interview yesterday at the US Consulate in Montreal. I am being sponsored by my husband who is a US Citizen. However, I was given white 221 (g) and was told to send one missing document. Basically my husband lives with me here in Canada and hence his parents are providing the affidavit of support. We had only completed I-864A and not I-864. The 221(g) request the we complete I864 and submit it to the US Consulate. He has kept my passport and everything else. Has anyone ever been through this and what is the experience like? How long does it take? Any information will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Our interview was May 6th. Same thing. They wanted the offer letter proving my US employment. I sent it via Loomis courier May 8th. Tracking showed it arrived in Montreal Monday May 11th 9AM. "Administrative Processing" is the status as of this morning 17 days later. One email reply from them was it hasn't been processed through their sorting facility.

Get them the required documents asap. They'll handle it in the order they receive it. I'll post as soon as we hear anything. Good Luck!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

We were also given a 221(g) for a missing official birth certificate. They kept our passport too. Once you submit the right document, it should only take a week or so for your approval. Then you should get a notification that your passport is ready for pickup (if everything is in order, of course).

Ours delayed us by about 2 weeks. Stressful at the time, but a small speed bump in hindsight. Good luck :)

Timeline

Hi to all!!

At least you know they need some documents. My husband was given a 221g white, on May 21 after de CO told him that everything was fine!. I'm guessing that is because he was born in Cuba. however has been Canadian citizen for more than 10 years and has been many times in the uS. This so depressing!!! :cry:

Good luck to all!! Hope you get an answer soon!!! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was given a 221g for not having the original or certified copy of my US spouse's divorce papers.

My passport was given back to me and I was told to send it in with the documents.

I couriered it to the Consulate in Montreal on May 21/15 and Loomis shows it being delivered on Friday, May 22/15.

I emailed the consulate on May 26/15 asking how long it would take to get from the offsite address (that the courier envelopes are delivered) to the actual Consulate and the reply I received this morning (May 28) was...

Thank you for your email!

We confirm that as of today your document has not been received. We cannot comment on how long it takes for the mail to reach our office, however we advise that you allow 2 additional weeks for mail delivery.

So it seems that it takes a couple of weeks to get from the offsite delivery address to the consulate.

Edited by SuzieQTpi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We were also given a 221(g) for a missing official birth certificate. They kept our passport too. Once you submit the right document, it should only take a week or so for your approval. Then you should get a notification that your passport is ready for pickup (if everything is in order, of course).

Ours delayed us by about 2 weeks. Stressful at the time, but a small speed bump in hindsight. Good luck :)

Glad yours did not take that long but this does not apply here. Montreal is as not know for speed, they have been known to take 6-8 weeks. Very few get things fast out of Montreal.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

That's a bummer. I never would have figured the cluster that is the Mumbai consulate would be faster than Canada.

Hoping for a speedy process for the OP!

Glad yours did not take that long but this does not apply here. Montreal is as not know for speed, they have been known to take 6-8 weeks. Very few get things fast out of Montreal.

Hi all,

I had my visa interview yesterday at the US Consulate in Montreal. I am being sponsored by my husband who is a US Citizen. However, I was given white 221 (g) and was told to send one missing document. Basically my husband lives with me here in Canada and hence his parents are providing the affidavit of support. We had only completed I-864A and not I-864. The 221(g) request the we complete I864 and submit it to the US Consulate. He has kept my passport and everything else. Has anyone ever been through this and what is the experience like? How long does it take? Any information will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Did you submit any evidence that your husband has reestablished domicile in the USA? You may want to send that in as well.

Please read the domicile thread that is stickied.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

My hubby who is a naturalized Canadian Citizen (I am a USC) had his interview on 5/5.. He was given 221g for not having original Police Certificate from Jamaica where he hasn't lived in 40 years but he lived there until he was over 16 . We jumped through hoops and got the document along with his passport which they had returned to him after the interview on Tuesday 5/19 via Loomis..We know from tracking that Loomis delivered it ON 5/19 but to date nothing has been updated which means it's still in their off site facility... THIS IS LIKE WATCHING PAINT DRY. :( Hopefully we'll all get good news SOON..

Timeline

He asked if my husband had an offer for a job in US. We didn't sign anything but a lateral transfer was OK with his current boss since our company is located both in Canada and US. That wasn't enough for him. He wanted a written offer. He did tell me that I just need to have signed I-864 from my in laws. Did you all have your passports taken? I am going to send mine today and see how it goes.

It will be great if everyone keeps posting any updates to their case. I know it would be useful for me.

Thanks, and I feel your pain. Sorry for all the awful things we have to go through at this last step and the things that ask I feel like are so minimal and doesn't really impact your entry into the USA.

Timeline

Hi All,

A little update on my status. I submitted the I-864 from my in-laws on May 29th and arrived in Montreal on June 1st. Case status was updated to ready on June 4th (yesterday). I think this is a good thing, right?

Timeline

Yes READY is a good sign I think. We had our status updated to READY on 6/2. Had hoped by now it would say ISSUED but still saying READY but the update date has changed twice (6/3 and 6/4)so hopefully the waiting will be over soon.

Timeline

Oh no!! That sounds horrible. My husband's father is also sponsoring me. His father completed the I-864A and my husband completed the I-864. Does that mean that my father in law has to complete the I-864 rather than the I-864A?

Oh no!! That sounds horrible. My husband's father is also sponsoring me. His father completed the I-864A and my husband completed the I-864. Does that mean that my father in law has to complete the I-864 rather than the I-864A?

Yes.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.