nathens23

how important is the past

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all,

My fiancée (US citizen) is very concerned as we are filing for K1 and she spent a lot of the past few years in residences not on the lease, will this affect the G325a section? should she put her places of residence even though there will be no documentation to support them? Additionally, over these years her employment was sparse (a common thing in the US from what I understand) and there is a year she didn't file for tax as she lived solely off savings (trust account) and didn't work a single day. Will this be an issue too?

(also sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

Cheers,

N.

Did she have mail go to those locations? Tbqh, I think as long as she claimed address at those places at SOME point it shouldn't be a problem. I temporarily stayed at my mothers house for like a month, but since I forwarded mail and important things there it actually shows up when I get those "Did you live at any of these addresses" for social security verification. I don't know how far that is looked into, and if anything it could just come back as an RFE where you just have to add more locations that might be popping up in their system that you didn't list.

That said a lot of people don't actually have hard copies of things proving where they lived, especially when you're looking at the last five years or so. One lease I had I wasn't on, my ex-husband was the only one that signed the lease and they didn't add myself or my daughter as occupants. The only proof I would have would be mail, but I don't have mail from five years ago.

The only thing she might have to prove is that she lives somewhere stable -NOW-. Proof of Domicile.

As for income, as long as she can support you now according to the guidelines she's fine. The guidelines are based off of CURRENT income for this current year. They want old W2's and tax filings, but they care mostly about what you make NOW. If she can't support you, then you'll need to find a co-sponsor who can meet the guidelines. Now if she's never worked ever and has no intentions of working that -could- be a problem as said in the information for the I-134 page on visa journey, but for the most part as long as SOMEONE can support you and sign the needed paper and meet the requirements and she plans on working she should be fine.

Edited by ash1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks, that's what I suggested - loads of people don't sign a lease where they live so there's bound to be ways to show place of residence..

As for the employment part, it makes sense they would be more interested in future as opposed to past...

Thanks for the rapid reply :)

You're very welcome.

And yeah, some states simply consider recieving mail as being a resident of the house. There are cases of people squatting in other peoples homes while they were gone and the police couldn't remove them due to the squatters claiming residence and receiving mail there. Different places consider different things, but if imo, if your mail went there you were living there for some point in time. I think one of the ways to even prove domicile is to show a bank statement with your current address, which tbqh you can just change at a whim online lol.

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

The government and most governments are very very black and white. So the only thing that could get her is that if the government shows up her having addresses and she didn't put it down. That could also happen to me too since I was using my mothers address for a whole month, between having an address for two years, one month at her house, three years at this house.

Just fill out the information honestly. Always remember, you can always just get an RFE and put in the info that was missed for location and send it back and things could be okay!

As for income, atm I've been unemployed, I'm currently looking for work but I haven't worked (other than for a week) in the past two years. Luckily though, my mother meets the co-sponsor requirements for both the I-134 and the I-864 (used for the green card in the future). If I get a job by the time I have to send my fiance the I-134 then I'm good to go, if I don't then I plan on attaching a statement saying that I am currently looking for work and plan on working asap just to ease their hopes, this is even with having a co-sponsor who makes well over the needed amount to sponsor him.

Just keep your head up. This is a big paperwork game and making sure your ducks are in order.

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.