We Keep Receipts

Video of mob burning teen alive in Guatemala spurs outrage

58 posts in this topic

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/27/americas/guatemala-girl-burned-mob/index.html

(CNN)A large crowd stands by as a teenage girl -- beaten and bloodied -- writhes on the ground, her body engulfed in flames.

"Add gasoline," someone shouts.

The shocking scene from a Guatemalan village went viral online and has spurred a debate over what some describe as vigilante justice in the Central American country.

Citing witnesses in the village of Rio Bravo, local media reported that the girl was beaten and burned to death for her alleged involvement in the killing of a taxi driver there earlier this month.

Police told CNN they haven't verified the authenticity of the video. But they said they are investigating the circumstances leading up to the death of a 16-year-old girl who was set on fire in Rio Bravo, a small village two hours west of Guatemala's capital in the state of Suchitepequez.

Guatemalan authorities have pointed to vigilante justice as a persistent problem, particularly in rural areas.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Lots of Muslims in Guatemala, yes?

Of course, because no other religions have violent folks in them :goofy:

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

These are unfortunately weekly affairs reported on liveleak from countries where criminals do not generally face prosecution and locals take on the job - Brazil being the largest offender as of late..

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Exactly!

I'm not getting it...

Has anyone said *ever* that only Muslims commit theses type of acts?

Was this act done in the name of some religion?

The only religious angle I see in the story is the Catholic churches statement denouncing the act and asking for people not to take the law into their own hands..

Video of a girl being tortured to death and it is used for a virtual high-five session for making a point against something that was never said or claimed or even related. Trifecta :thumbs:

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

I'm not getting it...

The only religious angle I see in the story is the Catholic churches statement denouncing the act and asking for people not to take the law into their own hands..

Video of a girl being tortured to death and it is used for a virtual high-five session for making a point against something that was never said or claimed or even related. Trifecta :thumbs:

Typically, when something happens, it's compared to Islam. A christian conservative says we should legalize killing gay people,someone opines "this is what an Islamic state would look like". People go on killing sprees, someone says "watch out of the Muslims" even though there weren't any there. Even in a thread about the Mormons, we have to hear about the Prophet Mohammed. Or more recently, someone brought up marrying a 17 year old, and the prophet was brought up again.

Are Muslims a race or a religion?

Religion if I had to guess.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I'm not getting it...

You need to spend more time around here.

Of course, because no other religions have violent folks in them :goofy:

Was this done in the name of some work wide religious outfit. Nice try but not even close to the world wide cancer of radical Islam

Was this done in the name of some work wide religious outfit. Nice try but not even close to the world wide cancer of radical Islam

Say, how many folks die in the name of Islam here again? Oh that's right, more people die just because rather than some nut job claiming to follow Islam.

Edited by Stay Woke

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Say, how many folks die in the name of Islam here again? Oh that's right, more people die just because rather than some nut job claiming to follow Islam.

The story you posted was not here. The radical Islam cancer is global

Thousands have died in this country because of radical Islam

The story you posted was not here. The radical Islam cancer is global

Thousands have died in this country because of radical Islam

4216 to be exact. Over a 14 year period. What's the head count for gun deaths as of right now for this year?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg