Wirelessly_inluv

Registered Nurse willing to work in US

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi. So my sister is vacationing here in the US. She plans on working here in the future. Shes currently applying for board lincensing exam in this state. Thing is its theyre asking for Social Security Number which she hasnt. She needed to take the licensing before any company can hire her. How will she obtain SSN while on tourist visa. Does anybody know any hospital that sponsors foreign nurses to work in the US?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She can not obtain a SSN.

From my observations Hospitals do not seem to get involved presumably due to the long wait times, I have only seen agency's involved.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hi. So my sister is vacationing here in the US. She plans on working here in the future. Shes currently applying for board lincensing exam in this state. Thing is its theyre asking for Social Security Number which she hasnt. She needed to take the licensing before any company can hire her. How will she obtain SSN while on tourist visa. Does anybody know any hospital that sponsors foreign nurses to work in the US?

Your sister can not get a Social Security number. Even if she had a Social Security number and passed the NCLEX-RN, there is almost no chance she would be sponsored.

An alternative would be to find a state which does not require a Social Security number in order to be allowed to sit for the NCLEX-RN. I'm not sure if there are any states left which don't require a Social Security number, but your sister could check it out on allnurses website, or check out each state's board of nursing website to find out the requirements for foreign nurses.

Seven years ago, when my wife, Chinook, was in 'Pinas and applied to sit for the NCEX-RN, she did so through Vermont because Vermont did not require a Social Security number. However, I believe they now require it. Many states have done the same.

The value in finding a state which will accept an NCLEX-RN application without a Social Security number, and then passing the test and getting a nursing license, is that your sister will be ready to work in the U.S. when the retrogression has been lifted. Once she goes to work in the state where she has her nursing license, she could transfer her license to the state where you live if she wanted to.

Can you take the NCLEX outside the US?

And are we not overlooking the obvious of a little thing called a work visa as well.

This all seems very dodgy.....

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have not heard of retrogression coming to an end EB3 seems more likely.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Can you take the NCLEX outside the US?

And are we not overlooking the obvious of a little thing called a work visa as well.

This all seems very dodgy.....

Yes, you can take the NCLEX-RN outside of the U.S. Several counties offer it. My wife considered taking it in Manila.

I'm not sure who you directed your comment to about the work visa, but I believe I addressed it in my previous post.

I have not heard of retrogression coming to an end EB3 seems more likely.

Of course, no one knows when, or if, the retrogression will end. However, many Filipinos are optimistic about it and they take the long view on the issue. One reason may be that Filipino RNs start at about $2500-3500/year (if they can even get a job), whereas U.S. RNs start out at about $50,000-60,000/year.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.