8 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

I will fly to usa June 7 as immigrant - lpr. Been to us several times and drove with my Philippine driver's license.

Question is can I drive with my Philippine dl after poe or I have to wait for ssn and apply at dmv first before I can drive. i am over 18 yrs with previous dl from home country.

Thanks.

Additional info: Im with f1 visa. Thanks.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Since driver's licenses are regulated by the individual states, suggest that you do an online inquiry with the California DOL/DMV to find your answer.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As an immigrant/LPR, you need to have a US driver's license or learner's permit to drive.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
  • https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/dl/dl_info#international
  • Seems to me that technically, you're still a resident of the country of which issued you your driver's license. You haven't established residency in the U.S. yet...that's MY interpretation.
  • International Driving PermitsThe State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident.The IDP is only a translation of information contained on a person's foreign driver license and is not required to operate a motor vehicle in California. Citations issued to a person in California who has an IDP, but does not have a California driver license will be placed on the Department of Motor Vehicle database.The IDP is also called an International Driver License, International License, etc.For more information about travel and driver licensing requirements outside of the US, visit the US State Department Road Safety Overseas website at: http://travel.state.gov/road_safety.html
Edited by Torete

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Most states allow you 90 days to drive on our Licenses. Just like a visitor here who wants to rent a car.

Texas gives you 90 days, Check you state rules........

As an immigrant/LPR, you need to have a US driver's license or learner's permit to drive.

Visitors are treated differently from residents.

Visitors can drive on foreign driver's licenses.

Residents cannot drive on foreign driver's licenses. A resident must have a local drivers license.

There is always a grace period in which new immigrants can drive on their home country licenses before they get state licenses. What this grace period is differs by state. You guys are implying new immigrants can't drive at all until they get a learner permit or driver license which is simply not true.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.