79 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

"What if one of us dies" - well, we talked about that, too. It is gloomy and of course not what you expect. Still, I told my fiancé if he got hit by a bus three days after my arrival, I'd certainly go back, but 15 or 20 years from now I might be staying in the US. Talk about it if you can, don't brush it off.

The best country for anyone is probably their home country, no matter what.

Either she is not thinking so much in monetary terms because she has always been provided for or maybe it just isn't so important to her. Maybe she does not mind living in what compared to your life style is relative "poverty".

Saving up to live in her country later sounds like a good plan.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

She does not understand how important it is to keep a job. People are struggling to find good jobs, and here I am asked to quit.

The maturity of a child.

That's exactly my situation, falling in love, no one can control it.

Actually, yes you can - and the proof is what's happening right now. Being married to a child is a major pain in the ###. There can be no question that you saw signs of immaturity earlier in the relationship. But for whatever reason you rationalized the red flags away. So now the question is whether you want to live with this the rest of your life.

If you give up your good job in Redmond and go to her country and get a job making small money, it's going to be very, very hard to live. And I think you would resent this after the 'new' of being with her becomes the 'normal' of married people trying to make ends meet and have a good life. Resentment will make a big problem in your relationship. So, yes, you have many hard things to ask yourself. Wondering what she was thinking would happen?

Best of luck, wow.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.