bahamamama234

Will medical enrollment affect my immigration status?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello everybody, I was wondering, me and my husband both have jobs at the same company, he makes around 350 a week I make 250 a week...

We do qualify for enrollment in the healthcare provided by the company, but he wanted to get free medical for some reason, probably because if we go out of that job and try to find better one, the healthcare wouldn't be provided any longer.

My question, we enrolled and got approved, it gonna be working in june 1st (MEDICAL . LA CARE) for free.

Will that affect the fact that I have a temporary 2 years GC and when I go to get the 10 years one and later on when I go get citizenship, will the fact that we have medical affect something? should I take my name out of the medicall?? Will our sponsor have to pay the government if in case I use anything by medical?

I just really am ignorant to that information and would appreciate if somebody could give me the answer, if I have to get out of medical even before I use I will, I am young and healthy anyway, I just don't want my immigration process to be affected in a negative way.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I would love to know the answer to this!

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
You kind of owe it to the person who sponsored you to not be ignorant about the requirements of the I-864. If you receive a Federal, State or Local "Means Tested Public Benefit" your sponsor may be required to pay it back. I would call LA Care and ask them if what they are providing you is a MTPB. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html Means Tested Public Benefits

Federal means tested public benefits are the following:

• Food stamps
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Medicaid
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  • State Child Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
FAQs: Means Tested Public Benefits
Collapse All
Can the applicant use government assistance or public benefits?
What assistance programs are not considered means tested public benefit programs?

If the sponsored immigrant uses federal means tested public benefits, the sponsor must repay the cost of the benefits.

The following types of assistance are not considered means tested public benefits and do not have to be repaid.

• Emergency Medicaid
  • School lunches
  • Immunizations and treatment for communicable diseases
  • Student assistance to attend colleges and institutions of higher learning
  • Some kinds of foster care or adoption assistance
  • Job training programs
  • Head start
  • Short-term, non-cash emergency relief

Timeline

Yeah, I guess I should call them before july... me and my husband are going to brazil for 3 weeks, when we come back, if they ask questions, we have a job, apartment lease, but the healthcare is medical, do we have to show them something about healthcare? can we just say that we enrolled and gonna start in july without mentioning the fact that we have it for free because of now high income? I don't wanna say we got it for free or bring the papers that say we got it for free lol

Edited by Jabuticaba 1

Timeline

Anybody knows how I can get out of medical?

Now I am afraid that it will be bad for my immigration status and want to get out. rather have no healthcare if medical will affect my status

There has been no one held accountable for government mean tests.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

There has been no one held accountable for government mean tests.

Hi Nancy! as you can see in this topic http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/549969-can-being-on-medical-be-a-reason-to-deny-gc-holder-on-entering-us-after-trip/#entry7644857it looks like I found some documents saying that medical can not count as public service of public charge or Using health care services, including Medi-Cal, generally does not affect a person’s immigration status. An immigrant’s use of health services is not considered in determining whether the immigrant is or is likely to become a public charge.

This document was made in 2006 tho.

the seconds one was saying you can not lose your residency for being on medical, they can not make your sponsor pay for emergency uses and they might make the sponsor pay for non-emergency but there is no cases of california making the sponsor pay for medical uses.

http://www.co.merced.ca.us/DocumentCenter/Home/View/6354

If I go in the trip abroad with my husband and in our way back if they ask if we have healthcare in the USA, should I show our medical cards and pretend we didn't got for free, should I hide and say we don't have nothing, or should I get out of medical before going? Just really don't wanna risk losing residence over healthcare, I am very young and fortunately don't need healthcare as of right now anyway...

Thank you for the help! and for everybody that is replying, it really worries me ...

You are overworried and paranoid. CBP has nothing to do with your health insurance. Don't sweat over small thing, your life has more things to worry about.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.based AOS to WST-based AOS Forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Are housing assistance such as Shelters considered as means tested benefits?

Considering the fact that nursing homes are, I believe housing assistance such as Shelters is as well, but there's a couple exceptions for refugee green card holders, if yours is based in refugee.

This is where I found such info. http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge

What publicly funded benefits may not be considered for public charge purposes?

A. Non-cash benefits (other than institutionalization for long-term care) are generally not taken into account for purposes of a public charge determination.

Special-purpose cash assistance is also generally not taken into account for purposes of public charge determination.

Non-cash or special-purpose cash benefits are generally supplemental in nature and do not make a person primarily dependent on the government for subsistence. Therefore, past, current, or future receipt of these benefits do not impact a public charge determination. Non-cash or special purpose cash benefits that are not considered for public charge purposes include:

• Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases; use of health clinics, short-term rehabilitation services, and emergency medical services) other than support for long-term institutional care
  • Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  • Nutrition programs, including Food Stamps, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Program, and other supplementary and emergency food assistance programs
  • Housing benefits
  • Child care services
  • Energy assistance, such as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
  • Emergency disaster relief
  • Foster care and adoption assistance
  • Educational assistance (such as attending public school), including benefits under the Head Start Act and aid for elementary, secondary, or higher education
  • Job training programs
  • In-kind, community-based programs, services, or assistance (such as soup kitchens, crisis counseling and intervention, and short-term shelter)

State and local programs that are similar to the federal programs listed above are also generally not considered for public charge purposes. Please be aware that states may adopt different names for the same or similar publicly funded programs. It is the underlying nature of the program, not the name adopted in a particular state, which determines whether or not it should be considered for public charge purposes. In California, for example, Medicaid is called "Medi-Cal" and CHIP is called "Healthy Families." These benefits are not considered for public charge purposes.

In addition, and consistent with existing practice, cash payments that have been earned, such as Title II Social Security benefits, government pensions, and veterans' benefits, among other forms of earned benefits, do not support a public charge determination. Unemployment compensation is also not considered for public charge purposes

And thanks everybody for the replies, you guys are right. We work, I work 32 hours a week or more in a well known company, pay taxes, pay rent....

I believe that keeping my name in our medical free health coverage will never be an issue with immigration even when it comes to naturalization then..

Timeline

Here is more information about public assistance/public charge

Not all public assistance are considered for public charge, mostly the cash benefits are considered..

check out the ''public charge'' fact sheet straight from the USCIS website

http://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-sheets/public-charge-fact-sheet

• 5 years later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi, 

Im searching through this topic, but Im not sure if Im reading correctly.. It looks like Medi-Cal is now considered a public charge and can cause the adjustment of status inadmissible?

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-g-chapter-10

RVtq0ciavRik6C4AKrxbiQYiDyQBS7AEh_jawmzeTuJVc8kS3N3HKsLaUc1-fX0g5ha0onA1BDFCbrBXIfvJwt9MS9W6Ku1t8XdNsbOijPefOhzG38LnJka4ushs-J_bYMYcFeqm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Zombie thread now locked from further comment. Please start a new thread if you have a question.**

VJ Moderation

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.