HikkoshiShitai

Hello Everyone, this is me. & I got a question right off the bat

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am an American Citizen (probably, but I'll get to that later) in his early thirties living in Japan for my sixth year.

I met my wife (Japanese national) some years ago and we finally got married this month.

We'd like to move to the good ol' US of A and start a new life and tackle the challenges therein together there. Buuuut, unbeknownst to us there was an entire, daunting multi-faceted set of steps one must go through before even starting said next step in life.

We are in the pre-beginning stage of it all.

The Embassy website has a nice introduction and guide to get to the I-130 so that wasn't so bad.
http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7114.html

But information after that starts getting a little complicated and a myriad of questions arose.

That's when we found the community on VJ which; it seems to be the best resource on the web for this kinda stuff.

So here we are, happy joining, hoping to get some help along the way and if possible give it, too.

Obtaining necessary paperwork to officially get married over here, we've done a fair amount of document hunting, government office hopping and all-around stressing. Now, we are about ready to submit the I-130 but we have a couple points we're not quite sure about.

Still here? Here comes the question I alluded to earlier.

On the I-130 form, the left "Information about you" side,

questions #13

"If you are a U.S. citizen, complete the following:"

"My citizenship was acquired through (check one):"

There are 3 options:

[ ] Birth in the U.S.

[ ] Naturalization.

[x] Parents. Have you obtained a certificate of citizenship in your own name?

Under "Parents", there are 2 sub check-boxes:

[ ] Yes. Give certificate number, date and place of issuance.

[x] No.

Herein lies one of our concerns.

Now, I am certainly a US citizen. I have an SS# and an American passport, a voter registration card but I don't have a "certificate of citizenship". Not sure I ever had one. Pretty sure I never needed one up to this point.

My mother was naturalized when I was 17 and she got me my passport then. Since then, I've renewed it, voted in elections and have never had any issues. So, I THINK I'm a citizen but don't have a certificate to provide.
Thus, for question #13, I check PARENTS > NO.

Will this be a problem?

I have looked into getting a "certificate of citizenship". It's no easy task. I would have to submit a FORM N-600 [Application for Certificate of Citizenship], another boat-load of supporting documents and pay a $600 fee. I don't know how long this could take, if it's necessary or not and worry if it might hurt our visa chances down the line but if possible, I'd rather not do this. Really, we will need those $600 and more for the whole visa process. Not to mention starting a new life in the US. I could submit a "Fee Waiver Request" form but I worry that that too would hurt our visa chances down the line.

Anyway, this has been my HELLO to VJ and a brief update on where we're at.

We would love to hear your thoughts.

What do you guys think?

- D. & R.

TL;DR Is marking PARENTS > NO on form I-130, Question #13 "If you are a U.S. citizen..." a problem?

2015-05-28 = mailed out I-130 from Osaka, Japan

2015-06-01 = I-130 arrived

2015-06-04 = USCIS Acceptance Confirmation e-mail

Hello everyone,

I am an American Citizen (probably, but I'll get to that later) in his early thirties living in Japan for my sixth year.

I met my wife (Japanese national) some years ago and we finally got married this month.

We'd like to move to the good ol' US of A and start a new life and tackle the challenges therein together there. Buuuut, unbeknownst to us there was an entire, daunting multi-faceted set of steps one must go through before even starting said next step in life.

We are in the pre-beginning stage of it all.

The Embassy website has a nice introduction and guide to get to the I-130 so that wasn't so bad.

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7114.html

But information after that starts getting a little complicated and a myriad of questions arose.

That's when we found the community on VJ which; it seems to be the best resource on the web for this kinda stuff.

So here we are, happy joining, hoping to get some help along the way and if possible give it, too.

Obtaining necessary paperwork to officially get married over here, we've done a fair amount of document hunting, government office hopping and all-around stressing. Now, we are about ready to submit the I-130 but we have a couple points we're not quite sure about.

Still here? Here comes the question I alluded to earlier.

On the I-130 form, the left "Information about you" side,

questions #13

"If you are a U.S. citizen, complete the following:"

"My citizenship was acquired through (check one):"

There are 3 options:

[ ] Birth in the U.S.

[ ] Naturalization.

[x] Parents. Have you obtained a certificate of citizenship in your own name?

Under "Parents", there are 2 sub check-boxes:

[ ] Yes. Give certificate number, date and place of issuance.

[x] No.

Herein lies one of our concerns.

Now, I am certainly a US citizen. I have an SS# and an American passport, a voter registration card but I don't have a "certificate of citizenship". Not sure I ever had one. Pretty sure I never needed one up to this point.

My mother was naturalized when I was 17 and she got me my passport then. Since then, I've renewed it, voted in elections and have never had any issues. So, I THINK I'm a citizen but don't have a certificate to provide.

Thus, for question #13, I check PARENTS > NO.

Will this be a problem?

I have looked into getting a "certificate of citizenship". It's no easy task. I would have to submit a FORM N-600 [Application for Certificate of Citizenship], another boat-load of supporting documents and pay a $600 fee. I don't know how long this could take, if it's necessary or not and worry if it might hurt our visa chances down the line but if possible, I'd rather not do this. Really, we will need those $600 and more for the whole visa process. Not to mention starting a new life in the US. I could submit a "Fee Waiver Request" form but I worry that that too would hurt our visa chances down the line.

Anyway, this has been my HELLO to VJ and a brief update on where we're at.

We would love to hear your thoughts.

What do you guys think?

- D. & R.

TL;DR Is marking PARENTS > NO on form I-130, Question #13 "If you are a U.S. citizen..." a problem?

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your up coming journey.

You are correct in checking "Parents" and then "NO" as you received your citizenship as a result of your Mother getting hers before you turned 18. You are a USC as you have a US passport. Just include a copy of the entire passport as proof of your citizenship and the USCIS should be able to connect the dots that your Mother naturalized before your 18th birthday and that is why you do not have your own Naturalization Certificate number.

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Thank you very much for your answer and welcomes.

It's a relief to hear.

Onward we go!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Thank you for your welcomes.
We're obtaining the money order from the regional post office (a bigger one) and mailing out our I-130 today.

Welcome to the forums :)

I-129F Petition
Service Center: Texas Service Center
I-129F Sent: 3/17/14
I-129F NOA1: 3/24/14
Alien Registration Number Changed: 3/25/14
I-129F NOA2: 8/25/14
Sent to NVC: 8/28/14
NVC Received: 9/8/14
Case # Assigned: 9/9/14
Left NVC: 9/11/14
Consulate Received: 9/16/14
Packet 3 Received (Instructions/Checklist): 9/19/14
Packet 3 Completed: 9/23/14
Medical Scheduled: 10/15/14
Packet 4 Received (Appointment Date): 10/2/14
Interview Date (Helsinki Consulate): 10/27/14
Interview Result: APPROVED!
Visa Received: 10/31/14
POE/Baltimore (BWI): 12/9/14
Married: 1/12/15

Adjustment of Status I-485
Service Center: National Benefits Center
I-485 Sent: 1/24/15
Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 1/27/15
Check Cashed by USCIS: 2/2/15
NOA 1: 1/30/15
Biometrics Appointment: 3/13/15
Biometrics Completed (USCIS Baltimore) 3/13/15
Letter from DHS Advising of Potentially no Interview Required for our Case: 6/15/15
Case Transferred to Kansas City Missouri Field Office: 1/26/16
RFE Received Wanting a New Vaccination Supplement: 2/4/16
Appointment Scheduled with Civil Surgeon: 2/15/16
Appointment Cancelled due to Weather Conditions: 2/15/16
Appointment Re-Scheduled with Civil Surgeon: 2/16/16
Civil Surgeon Completed I-693 Vaccination Supplement Needed: 2/16/16
RFE Response Sent to Kansas City Field Office via USPS: 2/16/16
Delivered to USCIS Field Office by USPS: 2/19/16
Signed Return Receipt Receipt in Mail from USCIS: 2/22/16
I-485 Notification Application APPROVED - No Interview: 2/23/16
NOA 2 Approval Notice Received Through Mail: 2/27/16
Green Card Sent Through Mail Notification: 2/26/16
Received Card in Mail: 3/2/16

Employment Authorization I-765
Service Center: National Benefits Center
I-765 Sent: 1/24/15
Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 1/27/15
NOA 1: 1/30/15
Biometrics Appointment: 3/13/15
Biometrics Completed (USCIS Baltimore) 3/13/15
EAD Approved: 3/30/15
Received Card in Mail: 4/8/15
---------------------------------------------
Sent Renewal I-765 to Chicago Lockbox: 1/30/16
Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 2/3/16
NOA 1: 2/8/16
Biometrics Appointment: 3/2/16
No need to get them done due to getting Green Card

Removal of Conditions on Residence I-751
Service Center: Vermont Service Center
I-751 Sent: 1/16/18
Delivered to Center: 1/19/18
 NOA 1: 1/24/18
Case Approved: 4/2/19
GC Received in Mail: 4/15/19

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Scan date 4 17 2015 just got off the phone with nvc they said my case done review and would not tell me if I got a checklist or case complete couldn't get her to tell all I got was u would get instructions in a few days any one had this happen????? Thank u