afinemess

AOS for F-1 husband, filing while abroad?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hi, I just joined the community and I have a question about initiating the AOS process. My husband is on an F-1 visa for graduate education and is coming to the end of his seven-year program. His 1-20 expires June 15th (even though he graduates in August), which will cause his visa to expire. We want to file as soon as possible, but we are both currently in South Africa for my dissertation research. He will return to the US on June 6th, but I'll need to stay here in SA until the end of June/beginning of July. We have all the paperwork we need, so my question is: Can I send the prepared packages with him back to the US and have him mail them in? Or will USCIS know that I am abroad when they receive our file and red flag it? Has anyone heard of anything like this? He has the 60 grace period in which to file the AOS after his visa expires, and I'll be back in time, but we want to get the ball rolling for employment purposes as much as anything else.

If it helps, here's our background:

He's from Hungary, I'm a US citizen by birth. Met in grad school in November 2011. Started dating February 2012. Got engaged one year later on our anniversary. Married in Hungary in September 2013. He was in and out of the country until March 2014 for research, which is why we didn't file after our wedding. We were scheduled to leave for South Africa September 2014, so we decided not to file until we got back to the US. I was supposed to be back in the US at the beginning of June as well, but it didn't work out that way.

Any ideas? Can we file before I get back? Thanks.

AOS and I-130 filed concurrently to Chicago Lockbox 08/07/2015

NOA1 08/12/2015

Biometric appointment for EAD 08/28/2015

Successful walk-in at Houston Service Center 08/31/2015

RFE (I-864) 08/31/2015

Notice RFE Received 09/08/2015

Day 76, 10/26/2015, submitted service request re: EAD, informed that 90 day timeline restarted 09/08/2015

Day 79 (10/29/2015), EAD ordered for production, i-765 case approved

Day 85 (11/4/2015), received notice that EAD was mailed

Day 88 (11/7/2015), EAD in hand! Husband starts work in two weeks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You can file from abroad; just make sure your address on all forms is your permanent US one.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.