drwhoman5

Form I-864 support from joint sponser parents married filing jointly

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello all,

I am the petitioner for my wife and I need to file the I-864 affidavit of support. I have not worked in the US for many years so I do not meet the requirements. My parents will be my co-sponsers. They are retired, married, and file taxes as married filing jointly. Should my Dad file the I-864 form as "I am the only joint sponser" and my mom files an I-864A to combine their income as they do on their taxes, or do my Mom and Dad both file I-864 forms as the "first" and "second" of two joint sponsers?

thank you

Brian

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

You can do it the first way having your dad be the co sponsor and doing a i864 and your mom do a i864a . Do they share the same address as you because I did it this way and because I used the same primary address as them on my affidavit (I'm the petitioner/sponsor) both had to do a i864a . But if you have a different us address then them ignore that and do what I said in the first few lines . Make sure you don't forget to fill out a i864 as well .

Timeline

Hello

Thank you very much for your response.

I have just moved back to the US and do not have a job yet. So yes I am living with my parents now. I was planning to file a I-864 form as the sponser that will show I do not meet the requirements. At the same time my dad will file a I-864 and my mom a I-864A. Is this correct because I do not count myself in the household size as I am not a dependant for my parents. Thus in Part 6 of the I-864 form "Income you are using from any other person who was counted in your household size" my dad would put my Mom and her income. Is that correct?

thanks again

Brian

Timeline

Well just a heads up the national visa center gave me a checklist saying my dad didn't need to be a co sponsor just a household member like my mom because we all shared the same address . So they both did a I-864a and it saves you the trouble because the form is easier so you are basically in the same situation as me .

So what I had to do was myself a i864 I do not work and don't meet the income either . For my household size it was 1 for me 1 for my spouse ( counted only as the immigrant not my spouse) then there is a box that says include anyone parents, siblings, etc. in the same household as you that are combining their income for you to meet the guidelines and will be filling out a i-864a and I put 2 there for both my parents . Household size was 4 on my affidavit .

Edited by Morganalmonshid94

Timeline

I placed my dads individual income (estimate) and my moms on the next spot individual as well your parents tax returns will have w2s showing what they make seperatly and you put that in for them .

Timeline

Ok, I see, it is very confusing but we want to avoid getting a checklist. So since I dont have any earnings in the US then I put down $0 for my income, and I add in my parents income as household members to be above the poverty guidelines. So it end up being a household of 4 as you said.

thank you very much

Timeline

Yes exactly that mine was 0.00 as well then where it asked who else I was including in the household I put my dad and his income as whatever 32k for example then on the next number my mom for say 23k and added it up where it asked total income at the end for 55k, I was so mad when I found out I could've done an easier form the whole time haha so both will do a simple i864a and submit the supporting documents tax returns etc. they need to .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.