kitsulli

hamilton ontario to buffalo ny, anyone else go through the k1 process while being so close in distance?

50 posts in this topic

Thank you so much! I'll def start gathering things to prove our relationship! Since they don't stamp a passport when you cross and i have no flight tickets etc since its so close i wonder if there's any way to get records from customs how much it has been happening for years? It's in the computer we are in a relationship, they barely even ask the purpose anymore. I doubt anyone specifically knows this answer haha. I'm just spewing out questions left and right. We have plenty of pictures, letters, emails, phone history, bank statements showing how frequently i go there and purchase things...all dating back up to 4 years when we originally met as just friends (we have been a couple for a year and a half) Being able to prove we consistently crossed for so long would definitely prove the legitimacy of it so I'll have to figure that one out.

sounds like you would have more than enough :)

My I-130 pack included a few pages from our Facebook chat log (edited out the more risque stuff ;) ) about four pages of pictures I arranged on the computer (about 20-24 pics in all) that included pics of our wedding (with all our kids and my parents), photos at medieval events with friends, etc (under each pic I put a brief description and the month/year) ..... I was worried it wouldn't be enough, but they accepted it!!

It's more the quality of what you send rather than the quantity :)

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay good :) I'm feeling very confident now. It's all so overwhelming at first, not knowing where to even begin. I've gotten the best answers from this post and you guys than anywhere else I've posted :) and actually answered all my questions not only half so I have to ask again haha. I may have more questions in the future and if so I'm referring back to here :)

Timeline

Ok so I need to stop reading things on other sites bc it's discouraging me haha. I keep reading that you should NEVER come here and get married then return bc the next time you go to cross they will say you lied about your intent for entering last time and not be allowed back. So I'm assuming the answer to that is to just be honest and her say she's coming to get married not just visiting. I just need reassurance from you guys haha, and I will NOT be looking at any other boards haha. Why do so many people make things seem so difficult if not impossible?!

Timeline

And with her crossing to get married and being honest about coming back home and has no intentions of staying it's clear you're gonna shoot for the cr1, do they frown upon that wondering why you can't do the K1 like, why you're in such a hurry to get married rather than go about it that way? Those would be the questions I wouldn't know how to answer.

Edited by kitsulli

LOL :) You guys have been dating 4 years - I wouldn't quite call that rushing to get married ((hubby and I were "officially" dating about 6 months before we said "I do" LOL ))

Most of the Canadians I've met here who've married their US significant other either in the US or in Canada haven't encountered any problems crossing for the wedding ceremony. Sometimes people coming in from 'high fraud' countries will encounter problems..... when you run into someone's horror story, check where they're from....

Any time I'm crossing, I make sure I am only answering exactly what they ask, in as few words as possible ;) And, like you, being a long time crosser I'm sure we're in their database.....

Only once did the guard give me a hard time.... tried telling me I went about this the wrong way, I was supposed to get the Visa then get married... he was referring to the K1 and I think he was either truly clueless about the CR1 or just being an idiot :P

Cross border relationships are so common in border towns, most don't even blink anymore ;)

Best wishes :)

Spoiler

Removal of Conditions

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

Timeline

I just randomly came across a post where someone was saying their spouse got denied permanantly for admitting to smoking pot in the past. If someone smoked it 20 years ago the answer would be yes if you were being honest, I feel like that would eliminate alot of people considering a majority of people have atleast done it once in their life. The reason this whole thing upset me is bc my gf is a recovered addict, she has went through long term rehab to overcome it and that is in her past. After reading about it going that wrong for someone smoking pot ever in their life how is something like her situation gonna be treated?!?!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So stop reading other stuff! Seriously. Just relax and continue as you have been!

The horror stories definitely are uncommon, especially in our area. It's common for the border officials to have cross border daters coming through.

Unless your partner has a police record, quit worrying :) if she is already being permitted to cross regularly, you are fine.

A lot of times the people with those stories have other issues they aren't mentioning.

There's also a difference between crossing to marry with the intent to stay illegally and crossing to marry with the intent to legally immigrate. Think of it like a destination wedding. :)

You will find that in your journey, because you read this site that you wil sometimes know more about the process than the officials you interact with and it will be annoying. :)

Timeline

Haha my anxiety issues clearly don't help the situation. I do need to just stay positive and confident, I almost don't even want to post in other forums on here anymore bc I feel like some people are discouraging me and almost arguing facts I already know. I mentioned we alternate every other week going to one another staying 3 days at a time and someone said whoa! I would stop pushing your luck with that. I explained how actually that equals out to her being here around 90 days a year which is half the 6 months that's allowed and we NEVER get hassled, in fact it seems easier the more we cross. I was also told if they find out she has a history of drug use they will most likely make her see an assigned psychiatrist and ban her for a year from being able to enter the us. Our presidents have admitted to smoking marijuana in the past, among other drugs! So I don't see why they would be so harsh on someone who is recovered and could pass drug tests if needed. I should probably just stick to asking the ones who have been so kind and seem to relate to my situation better for any questions I have in the future. I thank all who have been helpful and supportive so much for that! I'm gonna stop worrying about those small details and only ask questions if I have any on paperwork/things more directed to the process itself.

Edited by kitsulli

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There's a scare story for everything somewhere on VJ and someone who likes to argue (aka 'make points' to go along with it ;)

Fact is you live near the border, you cross a lot which is super common for Canadians and Americans alike and you're not in a high fraud country. I think you could probably ask about how everyone in the Canadian forum has dealt with that question for the medical and get some first hand responses. There have been plenty of younger folks going through this. I say that like I'm old, but frankly I'm old enough to be your mother...frankly my past 'recreational use' was drop in the bucket when it's 20+ yrs ago

Haha my anxiety issues clearly don't help the situation. I do need to just stay positive and confident, I almost don't even want to post in other forums on here anymore bc I feel like some people are discouraging me and almost arguing facts I already know. I mentioned we alternate every other week going to one another staying 3 days at a time and someone said whoa! I would stop pushing your luck with that. I explained how actually that equals out to her being here around 90 days a year which is half the 6 months that's allowed and we NEVER get hassled, in fact it seems easier the more we cross. I was also told if they find out she has a history of drug use they will most likely make her see an assigned psychiatrist and ban her for a year from being able to enter the us. Our presidents have admitted to smoking marijuana in the past, among other drugs! So I don't see why they would be so harsh on someone who is recovered and could pass drug tests if needed. I should probably just stick to asking the ones who have been so kind and seem to relate to my situation better for any questions I have in the future. I thank all who have been helpful and supportive so much for that! I'm gonna stop worrying about those small details and only ask questions if I have any on paperwork/things more directed to the process itself.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

^^ yep

From what I've heard (read) the medical for Canadians doesn't even include this question ((and I'll confirm when I do my medical - hopefully soon!)) where some other countries do a drug test as part of their medical and it is something they will fail you for..... I believe ours looks for TB (chest xray), sphyllis(?) (blood draw), and general health (updated vax).....

Easy peesy - but not covered by OHIP :P :P

Spoiler

Removal of Conditions

Windsor-Cleveland here; about 3 hours drive. Congrats on your upcoming wedding :)

-yes, get your Nexus card. It makes you a trusted traveler and they run background checks and take your fingerprints so I like to think it's a little more evidence I'm a good citizen lol.

-yes, you can request the dates of the times you've crossed. While I'm sure they know how many times and when you've crossed, I ordered the info online from Canada Customs. It costs $5 and took about 2 weeks to get in the mail.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/req-dem-info-eng.html

It only records the entry points into Canada but it still works.

-I printed off my last credit card transactions and highlighted the times I used it around Cleveland, mostly Target and to get gas.

Edited by Loki_Go

2015-03-07: Got engaged (L)

2015-03-30: Sent I-129F to Dallas lockbox

2015-04-14: NOA1 Packet received, sent to CSC

2015-05-07: NOA2 Approved!

2015-06-15: Received Packet 3 by mail

2015-06-17: Sent Packet 3 to Consulate

2015-07-14: Received Packet 4

2015-08-10: Medical in Toronto

2015-08-16: Received medical envelope

2015-08-24: Montreal interview- APPROVED!

2015-08-27: Visa arrives at Loomis location

2015-08-28: Visa in hand!

2015-09-17: Entered USA

2015-10-23: Married!

2016-01-11: Sent AOS Package I-485, I-765, I-131

2016-01-21: NOA1 Package received

2016-02-19: Biometrics

2016-04-01: AOS interview- APPROVED!

2016-04-07: 2 yr cond green card in hand

2018-03-12: sent ROC

2018-03-19: NOA date, 2018-03-24 letter rec'd

2018-05-18: Biometrics appt waived

2019-06-04 New biometrics letter received

2019-06-10 Biometrics

2019-06-18 ROC Approved
2019-06-25 10 year Green Card in hand

Timeline

I am really thinking the cr1 would be our best bet. We aren't really in a hurry, we have been doing our trips/visits every week for a year and a half already so the benefits of it being cheaper, allowing her to work and cross right away would definitely be worth continuing what we've been doing in the mean time.

I have a pretty basic question , when she crosses over, the visit that we would plan to get married, what does she say, just it's a normal visit? Bc I know it's huge not to lie but also that they will probably turn you around if you go with those intentions (from what I've been reading) and when she returns does she just say she got married while she was here? Honestly I know I keep getting told to just look up the processes on here and it's great to see a time line but what are the very first steps, let's say doing the cr1. I feel like I don't even know where to begin. Just feeling overwhelmed =/

Kitsulli,

Congrats on finding this site.

I now live in Medina, NY. When I was dating/engaged to my husband I was crossing over every week coming from Toronto. I would strongly suggest getting a NEXUS pass as it is well worth it. There is a NEXUS only bridge between Lewiston/Queenston and Niagara Falls which is called the Whirlpool Bridge. The CBP there are fairly easy going and I have never had a problem crossing there. Only when I go thru Lewiston are the custom agents complete d&*@s. I go thru the Whirpool Nexus location once a week and all they ever ask is "Anything to declare" and then let me thru. I was able to travel back and forth during the K1 process. I made sure that I had a ton evidence of ties to Canada every weekend when I would come over. Always always be honest with CBP.

Last time I went thru Lewiston/Queenston, I got such a hassle as the agent had no clue what he was doing. I am in the process of ROC and even though my conditional residency GC is expired, I have my extension letter to show that my application for permanent residency is being processed and the application is pending. This guy gave me the hugest hassle but finally let me thru after I asked him if there was a problem. I also asked if I could go in and talk to his supervisor or an immigration officer as I didn't understand what the delay was as they have all of my updated information in their system.

Let me know if you need any other information as I would be happy to help out.

Cheers

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

Last time I went thru Lewiston/Queenston, I got such a hassle as the agent had no clue what he was doing. I am in the process of ROC and even though my conditional residency GC is expired, I have my extension letter to show that my application for permanent residency is being processed and the application is pending. This guy gave me the hugest hassle but finally let me thru after I asked him if there was a problem. I also asked if I could go in and talk to his supervisor or an immigration officer as I didn't understand what the delay was as they have all of my updated information in their system.

Question for you moemac59 - I updated my Nexus information with the extension letter for the green card (it expired on April 23, 2015, so it was extended to April 23, 2016). I did this process in person at a Nexus office and when I looked online at my Nexus profile later it showed my greencard expiring in 2016 which is what it should say. All that to say I haven't actually crossed since it expired and am hoping to do it soon. Did you manage to update it in person too or how did it work for you? I really hope I don't have to deal with a grump!

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They ask about hospitalisation which would include rehab, I forget the exact questions about drug usage, I know they ask about alcohol.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.