JimmyHou

Information on Name Change During Naturalization

278 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country:
Timeline
On 5/22/2015 at 9:44 AM, JimmyHou said:

I thought this might help those of us considering a legal name change.

The N400 application is (in most cases) a great time to legally change your name. It's fast and it's free. Outside of the N400 process, a name change requires a visit to your local courthouse, may require a public announcement in a newspaper (depending on your state and local laws) and will cost you money. In New York City, the cost is about $65 while on Houston it is over $400, so cost varies from city to city.

You can change your name to anything you want within certain limitations. You can't change your name to impersonate someone or in an attempt to hide your identity for illegal purposes. Other than that, it's up to you. If you are Arthur Robert Wilkinson, you can become Geraldo Mohamed Leibowitz.

It's important to note that if you are just changing your last name to take your spouse's last name or to revert to your maiden name, then a legal name change is not required. This is because a marriage certificate or a divorce certificate acts as proof of legal name change. This is true EVEN IF your certificate does not show the new name that you want to take. For example, if Anita Mary Harrolds marries Geraldo Mohamed Leibowitz, she can legally be known as Anita Mary Leibowitz even though that name does not appear anywhere on the certificate. In fact, she can also hyphenate both last names without a legal name change. However, if she wanted to change her middle name from Mary to Margaret, she would need a legal name change.

To request a legal name change through the naturalization process, fill out the name change section of the N400. The interviewer may ask you to confirm that you still want to change your name because some people change their minds between the application and the interview. The interviewer may ask for proof of your current legal name. In case of a discrepancy between your green card and your passport, a birth, marriage, divorce, or name change certificate determines your current name, so make sure you have these with you (if they apply in your case...it's always a good idea to have your translated birth certificate with you at the interview). The interviewer will print out some forms (three I think) for you to check and sign. These should have your old and new names on them.

You will have to be scheduled for a judicial oath ceremony. This is because USCIS does not have the legal authority to change your name and must ask a judge to do so. If your city has regular judicial ceremonies then there shouldn't be any delays. If your city holds regular administrative ceremonies, but not many judicial ceremonies, then the name change may cause a delay. Some cities (including San Francisco and San Jose) have stopped scheduling judicial ceremonies altogether. Applicants in these cities cannot legally change their names through the N400 application. Your interviewer will inform you of this and will cross out the name change section during the interview. You will have to request a regular name change before or after naturalization if you live in these cities (see above).

At your oath ceremony you will be given your naturalization certificate as well as a name change certificate signed by a judge. This second certificate will show your old and new names and you'll need it to update your name with your banks, on your drivers license, credit cards, etc. In addition to doing all the paperwork to make these changes, you'll also have to consider the effect of the name change if you have dual citizenship; your name on your two passports may not match and your other country may require you to go through different name change procedures or may not allow name changes at all. People do travel using passports with different names, but you have to be careful when booking tickets and you may want to travel with your name change certificate (and translations).

If you want to check whether or not (and how often) judicial ceremonies are held in your location, find your office here and look under naturalization ceremonies:

http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices

Thats exactly what i needed to hear.Thanks a lot man 

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline
On 5/22/2015 at 8:44 AM, JimmyHou said:

I thought this might help those of us considering a legal name change.

The N400 application is (in most cases) a great time to legally change your name. It's fast and it's free. Outside of the N400 process, a name change requires a visit to your local courthouse, may require a public announcement in a newspaper (depending on your state and local laws) and will cost you money. In New York City, the cost is about $65 while on Houston it is over $400, so cost varies from city to city.

You can change your name to anything you want within certain limitations. You can't change your name to impersonate someone or in an attempt to hide your identity for illegal purposes. Other than that, it's up to you. If you are Arthur Robert Wilkinson, you can become Geraldo Mohamed Leibowitz.

It's important to note that if you are just changing your last name to take your spouse's last name or to revert to your maiden name, then a legal name change is not required. This is because a marriage certificate or a divorce certificate acts as proof of legal name change. This is true EVEN IF your certificate does not show the new name that you want to take. For example, if Anita Mary Harrolds marries Geraldo Mohamed Leibowitz, she can legally be known as Anita Mary Leibowitz even though that name does not appear anywhere on the certificate. In fact, she can also hyphenate both last names without a legal name change. However, if she wanted to change her middle name from Mary to Margaret, she would need a legal name change.

To request a legal name change through the naturalization process, fill out the name change section of the N400. The interviewer may ask you to confirm that you still want to change your name because some people change their minds between the application and the interview. The interviewer may ask for proof of your current legal name. In case of a discrepancy between your green card and your passport, a birth, marriage, divorce, or name change certificate determines your current name, so make sure you have these with you (if they apply in your case...it's always a good idea to have your translated birth certificate with you at the interview). The interviewer will print out some forms (three I think) for you to check and sign. These should have your old and new names on them.

You will have to be scheduled for a judicial oath ceremony. This is because USCIS does not have the legal authority to change your name and must ask a judge to do so. If your city has regular judicial ceremonies then there shouldn't be any delays. If your city holds regular administrative ceremonies, but not many judicial ceremonies, then the name change may cause a delay. Some cities (including San Francisco and San Jose) have stopped scheduling judicial ceremonies altogether. Applicants in these cities cannot legally change their names through the N400 application. Your interviewer will inform you of this and will cross out the name change section during the interview. You will have to request a regular name change before or after naturalization if you live in these cities (see above).

At your oath ceremony you will be given your naturalization certificate as well as a name change certificate signed by a judge. This second certificate will show your old and new names and you'll need it to update your name with your banks, on your drivers license, credit cards, etc. In addition to doing all the paperwork to make these changes, you'll also have to consider the effect of the name change if you have dual citizenship; your name on your two passports may not match and your other country may require you to go through different name change procedures or may not allow name changes at all. People do travel using passports with different names, but you have to be careful when booking tickets and you may want to travel with your name change certificate (and translations).

If you want to check whether or not (and how often) judicial ceremonies are held in your location, find your office here and look under naturalization ceremonies:

http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices

Thank you for the great write up.

http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices This link does not generate any info for chicago office? is there a way to learn these dates for chicago?

thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

When is the best time to change my maiden name to my married name, before or after I apply for citizenship? 

Hello, 

I recently got my permanent residence, and I would like to apply for citizenship. During this process, I am considering finally changing my last name - something I have been delaying due to the green card. I am originally from Colombia so that means I have to change all my documentation. If I do opt for the change now, should I apply for a new green card with a new last name in case I have to travel (i.e. an emergency)? Should I change my last name in the form N-400 and then make all last name changes? Or, should I wait until become a citizen to change my last name? 
Thank you very much. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline
On 1/22/2018 at 12:15 PM, susancakes said:

When is the best time to change my maiden name to my married name, before or after I apply for citizenship? 

Hello, 

I recently got my permanent residence, and I would like to apply for citizenship. During this process, I am considering finally changing my last name - something I have been delaying due to the green card. I am originally from Colombia so that means I have to change all my documentation. If I do opt for the change now, should I apply for a new green card with a new last name in case I have to travel (i.e. an emergency)? Should I change my last name in the form N-400 and then make all last name changes? Or, should I wait until become a citizen to change my last name? 
Thank you very much. 

You said "recently", has it been 3 years? This is the requirement for n400 application based on marriage. 

You don't need to apply for another GC, it is not official till you take the Oath and got your court document.

Just wait, and do all the changes during your N400 application, it's the easiest and cheapest way to do it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Anyone know if there is a new location on uscis.gov where you can check the type and frequencies of the oath ceremonies available for each field office? I can't find this information from the link in the OP.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I came across a similar problem, only with a green card. I found an article on the Internet What if my name has changed since my existing green card was issued?  . This helped me understand how to proceed. I replaced the green card as quickly as possible and try not to change important information - address registration, insurance number, work. I want to get citizenship as soon as possible, so I try not to break the law.

• 3 weeks later...

For those that have done the name change as part of your application, on the interview results, did you have "congratulations" checked or was it "decision cannot yet be made"? My wife is having her middle name changed to match the Filipino convention.

My wife had her interview on 1/25/2018 and passed, but was marked as "cannot make a decision" or whatever. We have heard nothing so far and seen no update in her case. I called the USCIS and the said that it falls within the normal processing time, according to their info that they have for the Minneapolis field office and said that the info is updated on the 15th of every month.

Two of her friends in the same state, one submitted a month before and another one month after, and they have both gotten their Oath scheduled. Of course, neither are doing a name change, so we suspect thus far that the delay is due to the name change and the need for a judge to officiate the oath.

I came across a schedule of oath ceremonies and there are a number coming up that take place in a courthouse. I may be incorrect, but I would think that if it's in a courthouse, a judge would officiate.

Here is the link for the schedules: http://www.mnd.uscourts.gov/Naturalization-Schedule.pdf

I'm not too worried about it, but we were hoping to have at least seen some update by now.

Edited by golem216

On 3/8/2018 at 5:49 PM, golem216 said:

For those that have done the name change as part of your application, on the interview results, did you have "congratulations" checked or was it "decision cannot yet be made"? My wife is having her middle name changed to match the Filipino convention.

My wife had her interview on 1/25/2018 and passed, but was marked as "cannot make a decision" or whatever. We have heard nothing so far and seen no update in her case. I called the USCIS and the said that it falls within the normal processing time, according to their info that they have for the Minneapolis field office and said that the info is updated on the 15th of every month.

Two of her friends in the same state, one submitted a month before and another one month after, and they have both gotten their Oath scheduled. Of course, neither are doing a name change, so we suspect thus far that the delay is due to the name change and the need for a judge to officiate the oath.

I came across a schedule of oath ceremonies and there are a number coming up that take place in a courthouse. I may be incorrect, but I would think that if it's in a courthouse, a judge would officiate.

Here is the link for the schedules: http://www.mnd.uscourts.gov/Naturalization-Schedule.pdf

I'm not too worried about it, but we were hoping to have at least seen some update by now.

I was going to do the same thing I wanted to change my middle name I’m a filipina too, when we file the AOS we kept the same middle name and add my husband last name. But then now I want to change my middle name just like the same in my Philippine passport. Can I ask what did you do to change it, did you send any proof of change of name change or anything? Thanks 

3 minutes ago, J&E2013 said:

I was going to do the same thing I wanted to change my middle name I’m a filipina too, when we file the AOS we kept the same middle name and add my husband last name. But then now I want to change my middle name just like the same in my Philippine passport. Can I ask what did you do to change it, did you send any proof of change of name change or anything? Thanks 

On the N-400 application, there is an area of the form where you can specify if you want to change your name as part of the process of becoming a citizen.

This is what the instructions mention:

Item Number 4. Name Change (Optional). A court can allow you to change your name when you are naturalized. Any name change you request on this application will not be final until you are naturalized by the court. If you want the court to change your name at your naturalization oath ceremony, select “Yes” and complete this section. You do not need to request a name change if your name has changed through marriage, divorce, or other court order. NOTE: USCIS cannot process name change requests for members of the military, or their spouses, who are naturalizing overseas.

1 minute ago, golem216 said:

On the N-400 application, there is an area of the form where you can specify if you want to change your name as part of the process of becoming a citizen.

This is what the instructions mention:

Thanks for the reply, I’m just confused if I need to send proof of name change when I file my n400. And do I need to check (yes) if I want the court to change my name? Or I can leave it blank. What did you guys do when you file yours, sorry if I ask too much I just don’t know what to do

1 minute ago, J&E2013 said:

Thanks for the reply, I’m just confused if I need to send proof of name change when I file my n400. And do I need to check (yes) if I want the court to change my name? Or I can leave it blank. What did you guys do when you file yours, sorry if I ask too much I just don’t know what to do

It looks like we checked the box "Would you like to legally change your name?" and then specified what my wife's name would be.

Since we haven't finished with the process, I can't say for certain if there was something that we missed, but my understanding is that as long as a judge officiates the Oath, the name change would be approved as part of that. Otherwise, if it's not a judge, then we need to have a separate appointment afterwards to finish it up.

On 1/9/2017 at 9:04 PM, Hank_ said:

Simply complete question 4 with your new name, everything will be handled for you after that at oath taking.   Very easy to do.  ;)

Hi Hank, I just wanna ask you a question about name change. I was confused, this is my problem I wanna change my middle name (for ex.) my maiden name is Jane Cruz Santos and my married name is Jane Cruz Smith. But I want to change my middle name to Jane Santos Smith, do I need to send proof to change my name? I just wanna change my middle name just like the same name as in my Philippine passport. Because when we file for aos we use the same middle name as my maiden name and use my husband last name. And I know this is the time that I can change my middle name and use my paternal last name as my middle name. Would this give me a problem? Thanks 

5 minutes ago, golem216 said:

It looks like we checked the box "Would you like to legally change your name?" and then specified what my wife's name would be.

Since we haven't finished with the process, I can't say for certain if there was something that we missed, but my understanding is that as long as a judge officiates the Oath, the name change would be approved as part of that. Otherwise, if it's not a judge, then we need to have a separate appointment afterwards to finish it up.

Oh I see, I should have just follow the Philippine style of name change when we apply for aos instead of keeping the same middle name and now if I file the n400 it will give us some delays too once I change my middle name. But anyway thanks for the info and replies coz I can relate to your experience coz I’m filipina too and I wanted to change my middle name and use my paternal last name as my middle name when I apply for n400

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
28 minutes ago, J&E2013 said:

Hi Hank, I just wanna ask you a question about name change. I was confused, this is my problem I wanna change my middle name (for ex.) my maiden name is Jane Cruz Santos and my married name is Jane Cruz Smith. But I want to change my middle name to Jane Santos Smith, do I need to send proof to change my name? I just wanna change my middle name just like the same name as in my Philippine passport. Because when we file for aos we use the same middle name as my maiden name and use my husband last name. And I know this is the time that I can change my middle name and use my paternal last name as my middle name. Would this give me a problem? Thanks 

With naturalization you can change your complete name to anything you like.   So... yes you can change your name to Jane Santos Smith, no proof of anything is needed.  :thumbs:  

Remember to check the box to indicate you want to change your name.  ;)  

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.