rstamaria2013

Just got my citizenship! would like to petition my mother, how will i start?

10 posts in this topic

Hello, yesterday was my oath ceremony for naturalization. i enter here on a k1 visa (fiancee). After 4 years of application, fees and hard work now im a US citizen. (thanks to my co-vjiers for all the help). Now, i wanna bring my mother here. how can i start?? pls help thanks have a good day to all

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Congratulations!!!

:guides: easily accessible at the top of the forum page.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, yesterday was my oath ceremony for naturalization. i enter here on a k1 visa (fiancee). After 4 years of application, fees and hard work now im a US citizen. (thanks to my co-vjiers for all the help). Now, i wanna bring my mother here. how can i start?? pls help thanks have a good day to all

Congratulations on being a new citizen, to petition your mom you need to file an I-130 go to the USCIS web site and download and fill out the form, gather all the documents that you need, you need to have your NSO birth certificate that has your mother's name, fill out the affidavit of support, and other pertinent paperwork go to the USCIS web site and look for the I-130 guide or instructions and it will give you specific documents that you need to petition your mom it should only take approx 6 months or less to get your mom (based on my experience anyway. Good luck!

Romance is the appreciation of two people who are celebrating the lucky coincidence that they found each other.

Congratulations on being a new citizen, to petition your mom you need to file an I-130 go to the USCIS web site and download and fill out the form, gather all the documents that you need, you need to have your NSO birth certificate that has your mother's name, fill out the affidavit of support, and other pertinent paperwork go to the USCIS web site and look for the I-130 guide or instructions and it will give you specific documents that you need to petition your mom it should only take approx 6 months or less to get your mom (based on my experience anyway. Good luck!

thanks for the reply, they're asking about proof of citizenship (certificate) and/or passport. so certificate is fine right? i still don't have my passport. and for the affidavit of support do i have to send my 2014 tax return?? thanks for the reply

Congratulations on being a new citizen, to petition your mom you need to file an I-130 go to the USCIS web site and download and fill out the form, gather all the documents that you need, you need to have your NSO birth certificate that has your mother's name, fill out the affidavit of support, and other pertinent paperwork go to the USCIS web site and look for the I-130 guide or instructions and it will give you specific documents that you need to petition your mom it should only take approx 6 months or less to get your mom (based on my experience anyway. Good luck

and also i wanna ask if i have to submit the affidavit of support for the initial application of I-130. because it says right there on the instruction that i need to provide proof of citizenship,passport and NSO Birth certificate. or i only need to submit it when my mother arrives here in the US to file for Adjustment of status?? please enlighten me lol thanks a lot.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

no, she won't go through adjustment of status, the affidavit of support is at the NVC or National Visa Center stage

the approved i130 will be sent to the NVC, where immigration will request more payments, forms and documents until the file is completed and sent to your mom's country where she will have her interview

read the guides

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

thanks for the reply, they're asking about proof of citizenship (certificate) and/or passport. so certificate is fine right? i still don't have my passport. and for the affidavit of support do i have to send my 2014 tax return?? thanks for the reply

Yes a photocopy of your naturalization certificate is enough no need to send your passport. I sent my IRS tax transcripts and not my tax return. But like what one of the posters mentioned you'll send your tax transcripts during the adjustment of status (I-485).

• For your petition to be accepted, you must:
    • Properly sign the I-130 form. As the petitioner, you must sign Part E.
    • Submit the correct filing fee of $420.
    • Complete the entire form. You must complete Part A. You must provide your name, complete address, marital status, and country of birth in Part B; and the beneficiary’s name, complete address, marital status, and country of birth in Part C.
    • Submit a copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your mother's name
Edited by angelwithoutwings

Romance is the appreciation of two people who are celebrating the lucky coincidence that they found each other.

• 2 weeks later...

@ angelwithoutwings, I'm also a new citizen and considering sponsoring for my parents. I've read through the form I-130, and noticed they're not asking for taxes. If you don't mind, can you please explain after I submit this I-130 form what's next. Just trying to get an idea of the documents I'll need, fees I'll have to pay etc. thanks a lot!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.