Saffer

Tips to be safe in the US?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

That was a good-natured response. The one I didn't know was Firearms Identification.

But behind the explanation is that acronyms signal club membership. The club is the people who know the acronym, and like jargon makes us feel like they belong to an exclusive group of insiders.

It often amazes me that when I ask people what the acronym they are using stands for, they don't know. So for example "EPA" - were I to ask, the explanation would be: "They like, y'know tell people whether or not their water is polluted" instead of "Environmental Protection Agency". Acronyms are always self-explanatory. So if you know what each letter stands for, you know what it means.

Sometimes I get anger. They are frustrated because the belief about exclusive club membership clashes with the fact they actually don't know what it means.

To The OP - I selected the .44 magnum for shooting the black bear trying to push his way in my front door and the .375 Holland&Holland magnum for the four grizzlies I laid down trying to take my moose from me over the years. But the best answer given so far that I have seen is to exercise common sense and not put yourself in high-risk situations where you are unprepared for the potential consequences.

It's amazing how many serial killers just look for unlocked doors and windows.

I still think avoiding hunting with former vice presidents that VJ won't let me name is better than grabbing a gun off the plane.

Not that I have anything against guns.

We have an AR-15, 1911 handgun, and 7mm Rem mag rifle. When I finally buy a big deep freeze I expect it to be full with all sorts of goodies. :D

Hrm... I'd also avoid downtown LA greyhound station. But then in 2000 I was there when a guy tried to rob it with a pair scissors. Another big guy yanked out his Rambo knife to help out, somehow, and the security took down the wrong guy until we all yelled for them to get the right guy; which they were able to do finally. I never would have noticed any of it except I was waiting in line for the lost and found, hoping someone would have turned in my wallet instead of stealing it. Weirdly they sent back all the cards 2 months later.... I thought that was nice of the thief, all things considered.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's pretty important to practice if a person is going to rely on guns. When it comes to pulling the trigger on a living thing, there's some very good research demonstrating that even amongst trained soldiers, there is a surprising degree of unwillingness to shoot at the enemy.

A while back I read "The Psychology of Killing" and loaned it out to someone who left the state, but there is a review here:

http://www.military-sf.com/Killing.htm

lol - the money quote is "When people talk about killing they are like virgins talking about sex". Some surprising data: Only 15% to 20% of the soldiers in WWII, a very bloody conflict indeed, fired at the enemy. In Viet Nam it was a vastly higher rate, but only one in 52,000 bullets killed anyone. lol. A lot of spraying at nothing, as opposed to close-quarter killing of past wars.

In hunting we call it "buck fever" when the state champion marksman is in front of a deer for the first time and he freezes up. Target practice helps, we still need live practice of some sort. I think martial arts, boxing, or some kind of combat sport is going to help rid the freeze-up in a combat situation if it has live sparring. Not to mention the practice at hand-to-hand fighting being good for both confidence and defending yourself. Hunting is going to help of course. But it is really hard to find a place where you can practice shooting at people.

But that universally recognized "Klack Klack" from chambering a round is going to sober up anyone with bad intentions towards you. I haven't found bears to be very bright about it, but humans get the picture.

Thanks TBone TX. It shows the importance of knowing your rights. The best way to keep yourself safe is to know your rights and abide the law.

That, and keeping a gun home with all the safety precautions needed. This includes to take the mandatory courses you have and practice at a fire range regularly. This could make a big difference during a home invasion. Not trying to stir the pot here, I just believe its better to be safe and prepared than sorry.

Edited by Zats&Bryan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have a first aid kit, no harm in being prepared.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I don't rely on any of my guns for protection. My husband may, but he's prior military. It would be extreme circumstances before I'd shoot someone. Something, probably... someone? Different story.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I don't rely on any of my guns for protection. My husband may, but he's prior military. It would be extreme circumstances before I'd shoot someone. Something, probably... someone? Different story.

If I may ask, what did he do in the military?

I only ask because I believe people put too much emphasis on "prior military" meaning "experienced with firearms."

I do not handle any form of weapon in the course of my duties. I work in a windowless compound behind two lines of fencing and concrete barriers, with two entrances containing armed Security Forces. There are no weapons within that compound that are not in the hands of those guards. I'm not ashamed to say that for the most part, I'm a nerd in camo; I do smart things utilizing keyboards, antennas, and dials.

In nine years, I have handles a firearm in an official capacity three times; the first was in Basic Training, and the last two times were pre-deployment training. I didn't even deploy with a weapon.

Outside the military, before I came to the UK, I was on the range almost every weekend. I own thirteen firearms and hope to become a gunsmith someday. But nothing I do in my military life translates to what I do in my civilian life. I have only ever shot at stationary paper targets with an M4 in the military. On the range, I fired on moving targets with a variety of rifles, shotguns, and pistols at various distances and types of ammo, to include home-defense training which included obstacles, "innocent" targets, tight spaces, and limited ammo.

And I'm still willing to say I'm not that comfortable firing on an intruder in my own home. Probably never will be, and hope to God I never have to.

My point is, even being prior military, you should still hit the range often, take safety courses, even if you've done them before, etc. etc. Just good practice.

Of course, I don't know him, so he might just have me beat in all areas. :P

I am the USC.

The member "Khaleesi" is my beautiful wife.

When I say prior military, I mean someone has had proper training on how to handle a gun. How to take care of it, hold it, and shoot it. How to be safe around others. They have been taught when to shoot and when not to. That doesn't mean you can't acquire that knowledge outside of the military because you certainly can. Some learn more, some learn less in the military that is for sure.

My husband has an excellence ribbon for the m16. He was deployed twice voluntarily, both times with weapons. In Iraq he had to have his M16 with him at all times. He also grew up in Alabama with an avid hunting family. I can gut a fish but he can stock the freezer with deer. He is no longer in the USAF though but works for the FAA.

We do not go to gun ranges as in Co there is little need. You can merely drive to the mountains (my Jeep can get you almost anywhere) and practice as you like. However my husband does not carry on a regular basis. His work and the city and county of Denver prevents it. Plus a 1911 is a bit much to open or conceal carry comfortably.

He feels comfortable enough to defend our home, which is really what matters. That doesn't mean we still don't lock the doors. :)

Edited by NLR

I have a first aid kit, no harm in being prepared.

I have one in the jeep AND the house! You never know where that deep paper cut will happen next.