Dupont

Point of Advanced Parole?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello, My husband's conditional greencard expires in August. We would like to take a vacation after that point and before he would most likely get his new 10 year greencard. Initially, I thought we would have to apply for advanced parole which I've recieved mixed messages on whether or not that can be used for vacation. However - now I think we can just take the NOA 1 from the i-751 which extends the greencard for another year. Is that correct? You can just take the NOA, expired greencard, passport and you are good to go? If that is the case - why would anyone ever apply for advanced parole? On the Visa Journey timelines they list the I - 131 as though it is a normal part of the process but it doesn't seem like it is necessary.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Ive not looked at the guides on ROC yet, but are you not mixing up ROC and AOS.

I've only witnessed those applying for AP with AOS not ROC.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to ROC Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum, past K1~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

We traveled internationally and I was able to get back into the country with my expired GC, passport and the extension letter before RoC. Actually, I took my biometrics appointment as well and produced it when asked when my 10-year green card was coming. We had almost zero hassles.

Our Journey begins

Met online in March 2009. Started dating through Skype in September 2009. Met in person on 03/14/2010. After many visits, both ways, Nate proposes to Liz on 8/10/2010.

Our K-1 Journey
K1 Visa processed at Vermont, approved in 106 days. Approved at CDJ on 19/09/2011
Our AOS Journey from K

Applied for AOS on 12/27/2011

-AP/EAD combo card processed at Vermont, approved in 86 days. Approved on 3/22/2012; Card Received 3/30/2012

-GC processed at Vermont, approved in 268 days. Approved on 9/20/2012; Card Received on 9/26/2012
Our RoC Journey

08/30/2014: Sent package to Lockbox

09/02/2014: Package Received in Chicago

09/05/2014: Received NOA1 (Extension letter for 1 year)

11/30/2014: Called USCIS, Biometrics appointment not received yet. Appointment letter never delivered to correct address.

12/05/2014: Finally receive Biometrics appointment letter in the mail.

12/30/2014: Biometrics taken in El Paso, Texas ASC

05/08/2015: Approval notice received by email and text

05/10/2015: Approval notice received by mail

05/15/2015: GC in hand

-RoC processed at Vermont, approved in 248 days

Our Citizenship Journey

06/20/2015: Will be able to early file N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

When filing for AOS, before becoming a permanent resident, people need the AP to re-enter the US while waiting for their green cards to be approved. The I-131 is a normal part of filing for AOS. You file the I-765 and I-131 at the same time as the I-485, and you will receive an EAD/AP combo card that allows you to work and re-enter the US. The I-131 is not part of the ROC process.

AP is not needed by green card holders. You are a permanent resident and can travel abroad and re-enter using the green card. If you will be out of the country for long periods of time, then you would file for a re-entry permit(which is also the I-131), not AP. Just to travel normally though, re-entry permit is not needed. When filing for ROC, your receipt notice is an extension of the green card for a year. You can re-enter the US using the expired green card along with that extension letter.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

When filing for AOS, before becoming a permanent resident, people need the AP to re-enter the US while waiting for their green cards to be approved. The I-131 is a normal part of filing for AOS. You file the I-765 and I-131 at the same time as the I-485, and you will receive an EAD/AP combo card that allows you to work and re-enter the US. The I-131 is not part of the ROC process.

One can apply for AP during AOS for a non-specific trip, right? My fiance may need to visit back home for his father's bad health, but we would like to be able to visit places like India and Switzerland if we get the chance. Must we be specific with the countries and/or dates of visit or are they flexible with the visits?

Signature coming soon...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

One can apply for AP during AOS for a non-specific trip, right? My fiance may need to visit back home for his father's bad health, but we would like to be able to visit places like India and Switzerland if we get the chance. Must we be specific with the countries and/or dates of visit or are they flexible with the visits?

When your fiance does his AOS, he has to also apply for the AP (i131) and the EAD (the employment document) along with AOS so they will send him a combo card AP-EAD within 1 - 3 months from the moment he sent his papers. You dont need to specify which country/ies you will be visiting if you dont know for sure, you can do it if you want to but it's not mandatory . The purpose of AP is so you can travel while your AOS is pending.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You don't need to be country specific. My wife (Filipina) and I just got back from a trip to Malaysia, Thailand and China. No questions were asked why we went where we went. We did have to a secondary inspection (basically passport was taken, and they stamped something about AP on the back page).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

No reason needed for an adjustment applicant to receive and use AP. There is no place on the I-131 for an adjustment applicant to list a reason or countries they are visiting. You do not fill out Part 4. You skip from the bottom of page 2 to Part 7, as it tells you on the form. You also do not need to include a statement giving a reason or explanation.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

No reason needed for an adjustment applicant to receive and use AP. There is no place on the I-131 for an adjustment applicant to list a reason or countries they are visiting. You do not fill out Part 4. You skip from the bottom of page 2 to Part 7, as it tells you on the form. You also do not need to include a statement giving a reason or explanation.

Gotcha. Now I just looked up Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). I missed that the first time, so now I know.

Thank you all!!!

Signature coming soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.