We Keep Receipts

Democratic congresswoman apologizes for ethnically loaded gesture

26 posts in this topic

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/17/politics/california-sanchez-gaffe-native-american/index.html

(CNN)U.S. Rep. Loretta Sanchez has apologized for an ethnically touchy gaffe that was caught on cell phone video.

The Democrat, who is running to replace California's retiring Sen. Barabara Boxer, would otherwise seem like a paragon of diversity. But when she let out a stereotypical Native American "war cry" over the weekend, it marred that image and sent her running.

Literally -- away from a reporter trying to chase her down for comment on the gaffe that many found racially offensive. But late Sunday, she spoke about the slip-up.

Native Americans know she's watching out for them, she said at a Democratic Party convention in Anaheim, as reported by the Los Angeles Times. "And they know what many of you don't know — that like so many Mexican Americans, I am proudly Native American on my mother's side," Sanchez said.

Sanchez apologized Sunday at the state convention, saying "in this crazy and exciting rush of meetings yesterday, I said something offensive and for that, I sincerely apologize," according to video from CNN affiliate KCAL KCBS.

Sanchez was ad-libbing at a California Democratic party convention in Anaheim, when she made a stereotypical Native American "war cry.

Raising her hand to her lips, she let out about two seconds of it.

"I'm going to his office, thinkin' that I'm gonna go meet with woo-woo-woo-woo, right? 'Cause he said 'Indian American,'" she said, using the gesture to try to discern between Indian Americans -- with ancestry from India's subcontinent -- and Native Americans.

I really think all politicians need someone to write their dialogue for them before the day starts...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I think the world is way too freaking sensitive

That's because no one is making fun of you or your heritage.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I make fun of him all the time.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

That's because no one is making fun of you or your heritage.

Your blind and deaf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

If you watch that video and then her running away from the reporter she looks like she's acting like a child. Definitely not someone I would want making decisions of any consequence. We used to do the woo woo woo thing, when we were 5 or 6 years old playing cowboys and Indians. Just stupid. And she doesn't know the difference between Native Americans and Indian Americans? Love the fall back of, I'm part Native American too, so that allows you to be an idiot?

Your You're blind and deaf

Fixed for you.

If someone says something offensive about ANY race, it shouldn't be stood for.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Fixed for you.

Unless your a black college professor. Then it's cool. Level playing field and all

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Fixed for you.

How do you know he wasn't referring to "your" blind and deaf. You know, as opposed to someone else's?

Unless your a black college professor. Then it's cool. Level playing field and all

When did I say it was cool?

How do you know he wasn't referring to "your" blind and deaf. You know, as opposed to someone else's?

Because it's NB. Grammar is the enemy...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

When did I say it was cool?

I have a waiver. Your making fun of my Heritage

Because it's NB. Grammar is the enemy...