redbeard

Need help regarding effect of VERY frequent travel to Canada

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I cannot find the laws/rules regarding my predicament anywhere on the web. Here's my unfortunate situation...

My Canadian wife lives about 5 minutes north of the border. I live about 20 minutes south of the border. We have a 2.5 year old toddler that lives north of the border with her and my wife is currently 10 weeks pregnant with our second and is experiencing serious pregnancy complications. She was doctor ordered to two weeks of bed rest and was told she cannot lift more than 5 pounds until she is given the all clear from her OB. So...needless to say my wife needs me there to help her as much as possible.

At the same time, in order for our immigration visas to go through, I need to maintain a residence in the US and keep pulling in income. My current plan is to spend about 5 nights a week north of the border with them in total every week and commute to work south of the border essentially from Canada.

I 100% have no interest in immigrating to Canada at this point, but need to be there for my family until this process is done. I can't find anywhere what the rules are regarding days spent in Canada per year.

Can anyone provide any help?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can visit Canada, you can not live in Canada so from a practical point of view you are good until you are not.

I do not know if Canada limits the number of days in a year, most Countries limit the visit.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

You can visit Canada, you can not live in Canada so from a practical point of view you are good until you are not.

I do not know if Canada limits the number of days in a year, most Countries limit the visit.

I have no intention of living in Canada at this point. We are just in a tough spot and I need to be there most days to pick my son up from daycare and help care for him in the evenings. I pray CBSA is understanding of that. I have a NEXUS card and honestly the Canadian border officers have historically cared less about my length or frequency of my visits up to this point. I have always carried proof of ties to the US in my car, but after probably 200 crossings they have never ever called me into secondary, asked for proof of ties, or asked anything more than the most basic questions. I know Canada probably doesn't have the border paranoia of the US, but at some point are they going to give me trouble? Or are they just honestly not worried about Nexus-holding US citizens crossing as often as they please?

Canada does limit the days to 180 per year, however you likely will find the CBSA to be fair about your situation if you're asked to explain it.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.