articulate987

Baby of US citizen & UK citizen

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone, I've searched here for a while but can't find any situation quite like my own so hope someone can offer some advice.

I am a UK citizen who has been living in the US doing voluntary work on a B1/B2 tourism visa (which precludes me from taking on any paid work, but in the UK I teach law at College level). I am returning to the UK in June as originally planned but during my time here have become pregnant with an American citizen being the father. Completely unplanned, but in thinking of both what the father wants and the future for the child, I'd like to know what is out there. Could the father file for the child (once born of course!)? And if this was successful, would there be any way for me to also apply for a visa? Or would it be that the child could potentially get a visa but I would have to wait until the child was 21 and could petition themselves? Can I apply for any documentation when the child is born? (The child is likely to be born in the UK due to healthcare costs).

Any help greatly appreciated. This was completely unplanned and I am now trying to consider my options.

If the child father is American then he or she will automatic be citizen there is some paper work to file for that you could research for that. or I am sure someone that knows more about that can answer

As far as visa it should not be hard. I am guessing that you are not married so you will most likely be doing the K-1 fiancée visa

however the way you wrote your post it sounds like you have doubts as if that is what the father wants

ROC
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

i went through the same issue with my children. THE FATHER, US CITIZEN will have to apply for CRBA (certificate of birth abroad and US passport can be applied for at the same time)

I did this for both my children and did not take more than 6 weeks to get certificates and passports back. had to apply for spousal visa for my wife which we will in 2 weeks have an interview.

any other questions feel free to ask. Process for kids is pretty simple.

congrats and god bless! :goofy: :goofy: :goofy: :goofy: :goofy: :goofy: :goofy::dancing: :joy: :dancing: :joy: :dancing: :joy: :dancing: :joy: :dancing:

Met June 2011

Baby 1 dob      Jan 28, 2013

Baby 2 dob     March 15, 2014

Baby 3 dob     May 11, 2018

Got married February 5, 2014:

USCIS: February 1, 2014:

Sent I-130: February 17, 2014:

NOA1 to NVC August 18, 2014:

Case Complete NVC March 17, 2015

Letter and instructions from NVC for INTERVIEW March 27, 2015

Medical Exam May 26, 2015

Bio-metrics Appt. May 27, 2015 -

INTERVIEW DAY May 28, 2015 - APPROVED!!!!!!!!

VISA RECEIVED: June 4, 2015

Point of Entry: JULY 14, 2015

SS Card Received: JULY 22, 2015

Green Card Received: AUGUST 27, 2015

LIFTING CONDITIONS

Date Filed: April 15, 2017

Bio Appt:    June 1, 2017

I551 Stamp: YES - November 17, 2017

NOA:   Feb 16, 2018

Approved: Aug 2, 2018

10yr GC rec'd: AUG 9, 2018

Hi everyone, I've searched here for a while but can't find any situation quite like my own so hope someone can offer some advice.

I am a UK citizen who has been living in the US doing voluntary work on a B1/B2 tourism visa (which precludes me from taking on any paid work, but in the UK I teach law at College level). I am returning to the UK in June as originally planned but during my time here have become pregnant with an American citizen being the father. Completely unplanned, but in thinking of both what the father wants and the future for the child, I'd like to know what is out there. Could the father file for the child (once born of course!)? And if this was successful, would there be any way for me to also apply for a visa? Or would it be that the child could potentially get a visa but I would have to wait until the child was 21 and could petition themselves? Can I apply for any documentation when the child is born? (The child is likely to be born in the UK due to healthcare costs).

Any help greatly appreciated. This was completely unplanned and I am now trying to consider my options.

The baby will not need a visa. He/she can get an American passport for travel to the US. Some things to read.:

http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-child-born-abroad.html

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/abroad/events-and-records/birth.html

London embassy topics--

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/acs/passports/robirth.html

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/acs/passports/crba_docs.html

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/faqs/faq_children.html

The baby will not be able to help you immigrate to the US until he is an adult. Then he can petition for his mother to get an immigrant visa (providing the laws haven't changed by then.). If you were married to the baby's father, then your spouse could petition for you to immigrate to the US.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What you can do in the way of volunteering is a bit more complicated than if you are paid.

There are few requirement on the Fathers residency to be able to transmit citizenship, vast majority of cases not an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.