6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

My wife just received her EAD acceptance notice, her AOS is still processing. I was wondering if I would be able to put my children on government assisted medicaid while this was in process? I know that we are supposed to show that we can manage on our own without government assistance and that I can support my spouse. I do all of this. However, my health insurance at work is awful and pricey. I want to keep my wife and myself on my work health care but would like to put my children on medicaid to get the care they deserve for less cost. My son especially needs great and frequent care for the disabilities he has, but I don't want her AOS denied if I apply. Any advice would be helpful.

If your children are american born I believe they can get on Medicaid no problem as long as you both don't make to much household wise. Generally they seem to have a problem if the non-US person is the one getting on benefits. They don't want people who aren't american benefiting from the system.

If you have a child that is disabled you may want to look into SSI for the child. My daughter was granted SSI for disability (you can either be granted for disability or low income), even when I met the income requirements but over all the fact she's disabled is what gets her her insurance.

As for the AOS, it can go either way. They can look at it as you don't make enough to support your children on all aspects and that if you can't do that how are you going to afford another member? They could also look at it as something that is your right as an american to have so it's no big deal as long as your spouse doesn't get on it. Depends on the person who will be looking at the support info.

That and if your spouse can work now, she probably should. Her not working could be more of a detriment to the AOS than you putting your children on assistance, and generally speaking unless you have an incredible amount of money (which you don't seem to) you're expected to have a two income household when you bring your spouse into the country, so in all honesty you really SHOULDN'T be able to put them on medicare by the standards they're expecting of you. (Like the income for a household of three needs to be 25k as of 2015, for Texas the medicaid line for adults (not sure about children) is only 19k meaning it wouldn't even be possible for us to get on medicaid if we made the minimum they expect.)

Edited by ash1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

She can't go on government assistance.

If your children are US Citizens you can apply for benefits for them.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

She can't go on government assistance.

If your children are US Citizens you can apply for benefits for them.

Glad you answered! I figured that too but it's a slippery slope sometimes with the government!

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

US citizens can receive any benefits they are eligible for.

It does not impact your wife's AOS. If you meet the income requirements for the I-864, then that is all you need to prove financially. If you don't meet the I-864 requirements, then you will need a joint sponsor that does.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.