mrstevenl

Questions regarding K1/K2 visa from Montreal

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I am currently still stuck in the TSC hell. However it appears our number is approaching soon for NOA2 from what we see here on the time lines (people please keep your timelines updated this helps everyone) Just had a few last min questions.

1. We are doing the K2 and my fiances 3 children will be coming with her under a k2 visa. One of the childrens (child A) father has pretty much abandoned all rights to him since birth (and she has court papers that say as such) and the other two have the same father who is actually a US citizen (child B and child C) and well pretty much has the same thing. The US citizen is listed on the birth certificates of child A and B (yes child A is not biologically his and but he signed the birth certificate because he was with her at the time of his birth and was going to take care of them, obviously didnt work out. But there are court papers from the real father in which all custodial rights were given up from him). and on Child C no father is listed (by the time he was born, my fiance and his father the us citizen split up and he moved back to the states away from her). So my question is what real documents would we need for them at the interview to show they have a right to come to the USA on visas? With child A it seems pretty straight forward having the court papers, but with child B and C we have no paperwork. As there was never a court issue and child C doesnt even have a father listed on his birth certificate. We do have contact with the US citizen father, of child B and C and can get him to sign/make any letter/forms needed without issue.

2. When at the interview I am a bit confused on what fees will be due. I know there is a Visa fee due (payable before the interview by credit card or during the interview in cash only) and I think the fee for this is $350. Would I need that fee for each person kids included? So $350 x 4 = 1400. Also there is now a USCIS fee of $165 ? would this fee also be per person on the K2. Also it recommends paying before coming to the USA but says its not required how quickly/important is it to pay this fee before leaving to the USA is it?

3. The medical exam will be in Toronto at one of the three medical exam offices that are allowed to do them. Do you have any recommendations as to which offices seem the best? The fees are all the same 300$ for my fiance and 150$ per kid (yikes another 750$) Also with your recommendation how long did it take you to get the results. Id like to be there with my fiance and kids for the medical and the interview, but would like to time it so I do not miss to much work. Example trying to do the medical within about a week and a half of the interview would that be enough time? I would hate to have to take 2 trips up and back, and the added cost that would cause. she lives less than 45mins from the medical exam places, so we would be going to pick up the packet directly from them when ready not waiting for the mail. and we are planning to drive to montreal and stay over night and then return to toronto after the interview.

4. For anyone who has brought kids into the states, what do we need to expect to get from their schools so we can register them here? Im assuming just their complete school records should suffice. Anything else we need to make sure we gather before they come down?

Any other advice/tips/recomendations from people who have done the K2 thing would be much appreciated. I find tons of great information on this site about the K1 and I appreciate all the great information but there is a lot of information lacking in regards to the K2 (traveling with) visa, for the kids.

Thanks and Someone tell TSC to hurry up already!!!

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

I know nothing about K1 and K2. Just out of curiosity, aren't the kids automatically US citizens because their father is?

-AOS sent (I-485 I-130 and I-765) 03/06/15

-AOS delivered 03/09/15

-NOA email/text 03/13/15

-NOA in the mail 03/20/15

-Biometric letter 03/27/15

-Biometric appointment 04/06/15

She should have letters from the father stating he knows the children are moving. Technically she can get Crbas for the children because their father is a USC but she may not want to go that route. That would make them USCs as well and remove the need to get them a visa.

If you dont go that route then yes each child needs the visa application and the fee. $265 each. Are the children under the age of 14? If so then the next fee after the interview is the AOS after marriage. If the children are under 14 it's $635 for each of them and $1070 for your soon to be wife.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I thought that if a child has claim to US citizenship, then they won't give them visas and you need to go through the CRBA process. If they deny the CRBA, then you can file for visas for them. ???

As for schools, you usually need vaccination records too. Best to call the school they'll be at and see what they want for registration.

Good luck!

K1 Vancouver

AOS

4/4/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent

4/6/15- Package received

4/9/15- NOA1- text/email

4/13/15- NOA1 hard copy EAD/AP (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/14/15- NOA1 hard copy AOS (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/17/15- Biometrics Letter received

4/29/15- Biometrics completed

6/23/15 (Day 77)- Service request

7/2/15 (Day 86)- Service request complete, email of approval of EAD (approved on June 30)

12/29/15- Interview

Im not sure how the CRBA process works but it's something the OP should definitely look into!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

If possible, you should make a visit to the schools the children will be attending when they get to the US and ask what they need for registration. For us, moving to California, they just needed a copy of the vaccination sheet we got from the medical exam in Toronto, but the kids also needed to have a TB scratch test done here, by a local doctor, before they could start school.

Sounds to me like if the children can get US citizenship through their father, you should attempt to go that route instead of Visas for them. But either way, you should try to get affidavits/notarized documents from anyone involved in the fathering, stating that they agree to the children's immigration to the United States.

Good luck!

The K-1 Visa journey for myself and my two K-2 children:

K-1: NOA1 2011-8-10; NOA2 2012-1-12; Interview 2012-4-24; Visa issued 2012-9-17; POE (Sarnia) 2012-9-26; Wedding! 2012-10-02
AOS: NOA1 2012-11-20; Biometrics 2012-12-14; AP/EAD approved 2013-1-11; Interview 2013-1-31; 2-yr Green cards in hand 2013-2-9 (101 days total)

ROC: NOA1 11-7-14; Biometrics 12-1-14; 10-yr Green cards ordered 4-13-15! (157 days total)

Counting down to naturalization time!

Timeline

I know nothing about K1 and K2. Just out of curiosity, aren't the kids automatically US citizens because their father is?

They would be but he would have to sponsor them, and to do that, He cant sponsor them because 1. they would be required to live with him, 2. hed have to file affidavit of support and well he cant even take care of himself let alone them.

So youd think it was that easy, as I did but found out different.

Timeline

She should have letters from the father stating he knows the children are moving. Technically she can get Crbas for the children because their father is a USC but she may not want to go that route. That would make them USCs as well and remove the need to get them a visa.

If you dont go that route then yes each child needs the visa application and the fee. $265 each. Are the children under the age of 14? If so then the next fee after the interview is the AOS after marriage. If the children are under 14 it's $635 for each of them and $1070 for your soon to be wife.

Yes it would be nice if we could go that way, but he is in no position to do that.So we will have to go the visa route (and we have already started it, according to this site we are expecting NOA2 around may 20th to June 2nd).

Yes they are all under the age of 14, so the lower AOS fee will be nice. The oldest is 11.

Timeline

I thought that if a child has claim to US citizenship, then they won't give them visas and you need to go through the CRBA process. If they deny the CRBA, then you can file for visas for them. ???

As for schools, you usually need vaccination records too. Best to call the school they'll be at and see what they want for registration.

Good luck!

I hope that is not the case, if so we will be set back a long time and well that would really suck. Its already been an extremely long process.

We will have all their medical records (as we already have to get them for the interview) so that shouldnt be an issue.

Timeline

I think it had to do with because they were not married, I think the CRBA only applied for married births. where as without being married there was some other stipulations, I will have to find that part of the site again to see where it was talking about that. But what I was reading said there was requirements that the child in order to relocate to the USA had to live with the father, and some other things like the support affidavit I will try to look it up again. I could very well have been looking at something wrong Ill find it.

I think it had to do with because they were not married, I think the CRBA only applied for married births. where as without being married there was some other stipulations, I will have to find that part of the site again to see where it was talking about that. But what I was reading said there was requirements that the child in order to relocate to the USA had to live with the father, and some other things like the support affidavit I will try to look it up again. I could very well have been looking at something wrong Ill find it.

has to legitimize them you mean? Yeah that may be a bit of a hassle. At least you're banking on that and going for the visa. Check out the Canada forum as well Ontarkie did the K1 with multiple kiddos but her process was different because it was a while ago.

Timeline

has to legitimize them you mean? Yeah that may be a bit of a hassle. At least you're banking on that and going for the visa. Check out the Canada forum as well Ontarkie did the K1 with multiple kiddos but her process was different because it was a while ago.

Thanks for the Info, I think yes that is part of it. the legimizeing them.

I think where I was getting my infomation about the sponsoring and living with him was from the http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-through-family/green-card-immediate-relative-us-citizenside about immigrating an imediate family member (which included son or daughter). I did not see the information about the CRBA, which I hope doesnt give us any issues. It is our intent for me to adopt them anyway after marriage.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They would be but he would have to sponsor them, and to do that, He cant sponsor them because 1. they would be required to live with him, 2. hed have to file affidavit of support and well he cant even take care of himself let alone them.

So youd think it was that easy, as I did but found out different.

You should got look at the CRBA forum http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/154-consular-reports-of-birth-abroad-crba/because none of this is true.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

You should got look at the CRBA forum http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/154-consular-reports-of-birth-abroad-crba/because none of this is true.

Thanks for the heads up, I think it was because I was looking at the green card sponsorship info that I posted above and not the CRBA. I hope this does not effect our K1/K2 visa progress.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.