33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Thank you so much!!

Yeah it goes both way, she has to approved by my parents for approval to be my wife. I don't like it, but can't help culture.

The complicated part is that my girlfriend is working in China right now, she will be done and back to Indonesia in November. So we can start the process then! It's the waiting that worries me!

So she won't be able to go to the states to see your family before than? Can they go visit the two of you? Then you could start the process earlier :)

Timeline

It's not like that.

It's wrong to go to the States on a tourist visa to get married AND stay.

The OP was looking for a visa where she wouldn't have to go back home afterwards therefor the tourist visa with the intention of marrying and staying would not be a good suggestion. The OP has opted to go with the K1.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My girlfriend is Indonesian, she's from Central Java. Need help with applying visa for her in the fall. What's the best way to go about getting a visitor visa? I'm planning to go to Indonesia February. Is it better to do the process while I'm there or is better for her to start the process while she's their?

If someone can please help much appreciated!

Thank you!

She applies for the B 2 on her own merits. She must understand that the most difficult aspect is meeting the strongest ties rule which mean she must prove beyond doubt that she MUST return. This can difficult to do & requires thought.

Keep in mind that these cases are often decided before the person ever steps up to the window to interview. This means she must find a way to present her proof with the application if possible.

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Unfortunately my parents won't travel to Indonesia with me, as my parents only travel to Ghana and back to America now a days.

I was hoping their would be a better solution for this, but having her come to America for while would be a boost to our relationship. But seeing how people have to jump through legal hoops, is very difficult. Seeing as we both have never done anything like this before, it feels overwhelming and scary.

But I'm not the first person to do this, so I'm sure theirs a way for us!

And yes I want to do this legally! I don't want to break any laws. Seeing as though I feel like a guest in America even though I am a citizen of America and Canada. I respect the law and each country!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** One post bordering on advising on illegal immigration activity removed. Be careful how you post please. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Unfortunately my parents won't travel to Indonesia with me, as my parents only travel to Ghana and back to America now a days.

I was hoping their would be a better solution for this, but having her come to America for while would be a boost to our relationship. But seeing how people have to jump through legal hoops, is very difficult. Seeing as we both have never done anything like this before, it feels overwhelming and scary.

And yes I want to do this legally! I don't want to break any laws. Seeing as though I feel like a guest in America even though I am a citizen of America and Canada. I respect the law and each country!

Plenty of us have been down these roads. It seems as you say but it can be simplified & you are in the right place for help. Keep in mind no one here knows exactly what will happen in her case but we can predict fairly well.

Step one is the initial application which is pretty easy. The case is unique as they all are. Here on the surface it seems like they would understand the culture at her embassy for example. This would then seem to insure success. But what must be considered is not why she wants to go but what compels her to return. That must be defined and presented to be granted the visa.

If granted she attempts entry into USA. Its at that POE where they assign the length of time she can stay & actual entry. This is where they wont understand the culture. That doesn't mean she wont get in; just that she will need to know how to answer the simple questions. This is easy because she just tells the truth.

Your only a guest here if you think you are. I became a citizen too & I assure you I am not a guest. Like all of us you just need time to relax into a new life maybe.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

The good news: it is easy for Indonesians to get a K-1 (fiancee) visa.

The bad news: it is difficult for Indonesians to get a tourist/visitors visa.

If your gf is currently working and residing in China, she might want to look into applying for the tourist visa there assuming a) it is possible (I have no idea) b) her job pays her well. If her job doesn't pay well, then never mind.

If she returns to Indonesia and applies for a tourist visa there, she'll have to show substantial ties to Indonesia. Being unemployed with not many assests is a sure way to NOT get a tourist visa.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

If you enter the states with the intention of getting married on a tourist visa then yes, it is wrong.

wrong. You can enter the US with the intention of getting married, you just cannot stay. Entering the US with the intention to marry, stay and adjust status is visa fraud. There is a clear difference.

Timeline

wrong. You can enter the US with the intention of getting married, you just cannot stay. Entering the US with the intention to marry, stay and adjust status is visa fraud. There is a clear difference.

Please read post nr 18 were I have already replied to almost the exact same thing.

If you enter the states with the intention of getting married on a tourist visa then yes, it is wrong.

Your post doesn't make sense.

Entering the US on a tourist visa with the intention of getting married is perfectly fine. Thousands of couples do that every year. In this case, the foreign spouse has to return to his/her home country and a spousal visa needs to be filed (IR-1/CR-1).

However, entering the US on a tourist visa with the intention to get married AND adjust status is not just "wrong" but is immigration fraud .

Your post doesn't make sense.

Entering the US on a tourist visa with the intention of getting married is perfectly fine. Thousands of couples do that every year. In this case, the foreign spouse has to return to his/her home country and a spousal visa needs to be filed (IR-1/CR-1).

However, entering the US on a tourist visa with the intention to get married AND adjust status is not just "wrong" but is immigration fraud .

It COULD be an immigration fraud. Entering on a niv doesn't bar you from adjusting status. i personally got married and applied for AOS within a week after entering the U.S , there was no issue during the green card interview.

Because of culture, we both come from traditional backgrounds, I was born in Ghana she grew up in Indonesia. Both our families need to give blessings before we can get married. But engagement does seem the way to go! Thank you!

K-1

I'm going to have to research the process of the K-1, and maybe find out what my part is.

Hi, I would also suggest you to do K-1 Visa instead of get married in Indonesia and then apply for cr1 visa later. K1 or fiancee visa is much faster and easier than Spouse Visa.

Journey @ USCIS:

07-27-2013: I-130 Sent

10-02-2013: NOA1-I130

12-09-2013: Approved

12-15-2013: NOA2 Hard Copy Received

Journey @ NVC:

01-22-2014: Case Number & IIN Assigned

.::Case Pending::.

12-09-2014: IV packet sent

12-10-2014: IV packet Delivered to NVC

12-11-2014: IV Scan Date

01-29-2015: Checklist Received from NVC

01-29-2015: Checklist Respond sent

02-02-2015: NVC Received checklist responds.

02-03-2015: New Scan Date

08-18-2015: Case Completed

04-17-2015: Interview Email Received (P4)

04-18-2015: Left NVC

04-19-2015: CEAC Status ‘In Transit’

04-21-2015: Medical Scheduled - Done

05-07-2015: Interview date @Jakarta,Indonesia (Refused under 221(g) for submit applicant (husband)’s ORIGINAL birth certificate & new form G-325A)

05-07-2015: CEAC Status ‘Administrative Processing’

05-18-2015: Requested documents Submitted to RPX-Jakarta,Indonesia

05-19-2015: CEAC Status changed from AP to READY for Interview

05-21-2015: CEAC Status READY, date updated.

05-21-2015: CEAC Status Changed from READY to AP. (at 4pm) I hope it will change to ISSUE tomorrow

05-22-2015: ISSUED

05-27-2015: Visa on hand,finally...

05-29-2015: POE O'hare Chicago

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

JosephKD,

i am also a Ghanaian amd i was faced with similar dilemma with family meeting fiancé.

My parents are both in the USA and fiancé is in Ghana and his parents are scattered in Europe so neither of our parents have met Nor have my parents met my fiancé.

My parents know him thrpugh emails,phone calls,pics..

it is doable.

Do the K-1. Go and visit the girl since it might be easier for you to visit her. If she can't come and visit arrangement for a skype or a hangout with your parents.

I perfectly understand how our culture works but things have changed and i am sure your parents will accept the situation.

K-1 takes 6months to 1yr. It will give ou and your fiancé and your families enough time to get to know eachother. Plus, you two and prepare for your lives together..good luck

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

It COULD be an immigration fraud. Entering on a niv doesn't bar you from adjusting status. i personally got married and applied for AOS within a week after entering the U.S , there was no issue during the green card interview.

You came into the US with F 1 not a B 2 or B 1 so your situation still does not apply.

Maria&Steve, stated that " they cant marry and stay" with a tourist visa. And that's true.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.