Jdtravails

Wish to Postpone interview/initial Visa approval

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

So,

In the last couple months while working through my wife's visa application we got two bits of great news, that together aren't so great.

1) she's pregnant with our first! Woohoo!

2) she just got her interview date!

However, if we go through with it right away, we would have until about 2 weeks after her ETD to move to the US. That, combined with the wonderful healthcare system in the US vs the one we have here in Japan, with a doctor she's already comfortable, added onto my need to hunt down employment once I move with them puts us in a bit of a quandary.

Is it possible to postpone an interview a few months so that we can still meet the 6-month deadline to move to the US after her visa is approved? We would rather leave early next year, after the baby has reached a few months old (it's a loooong flight, and it'll be a newborn, after all). The consulate says they will usually allow for an interview to be rescheduled, but not that far in advance.

Does anybody have any experience here in delaying the interview/visa approval?

Thanks ahead.

Edited by Jdtravails

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm a bit confused with what you want to happen. Kindly give specific dates like:

When is the original interview date?

When is your wife due to give birth?

When do you want to fly to the US?

Lots of factors to consider. Don't equate an interview with visa approval because a lot can happen during the interview and you might end up with a 221g/AP.

Remember too that you will apply for CRBA for the baby so he/she can travel using a US passport (given that you qualify to transmit citizenship). Depending on how fast the CRBA process is in Japan, this could add to the delay in your travel plans.

Timeline

I'm a bit confused with what you want to happen. Kindly give specific dates like:

When is the original interview date?

When is your wife due to give birth?

When do you want to fly to the US?

Lots of factors to consider. Don't equate an interview with visa approval because a lot can happen during the interview and you might end up with a 221g/AP.

Remember too that you will apply for CRBA for the baby so he/she can travel using a US passport (given that you qualify to transmit citizenship). Depending on how fast the CRBA process is in Japan, this could add to the delay in your travel plans.

Thanks for the fantastic response!

I'll start with your questions

• The interview date is June 15 and the Embassy e-mailed me saying they don't expect to have all the paperwork until the end of May/beginning of June.

• My wife is due in early December.

• We wish to fly to the US in late March/early April as that is the end of the business year here and will allow us to tie up loose ends after the baby is born/old enough to fly safely.

> As for citizenship, I believe I am qualified as I lived in the US from birth until my mid-20's which is more than enough to fulfill the basic requirement of, I believe, 5 years from the age of 16.

The approval/interview -- I know I'm being more than optimistic there, but I don't see any reason as to why we'd have a problem. While there are no joint bank assets (they don't do that here, everything is typically in one person's name as the wife is usually expected to manage money -- we don't, but that doesn't matter as it can't be helped), there is plenty of other evidence -- including a joint residence -- and we've been married for over 2 years already with plenty of photos/trips/etc documented and included in the app. Again, I'm being overly optimistic, I know.

As that was a bit longer than I'd prefer, the bullets are direct question responses and the > is in response to the citizenship transfer.

• 4 months later...

hi Jdtravails, i'm curious to know what was your next actions as I'm finding myself in the same situation as yours (but different baby due date - May 2016). Thanks!

Dec-2013: Got married

USCIS

18-Sep-2014: Sent I-130 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

23-Sep-2014: Received NOA1 - routed to Nebraska SC

09-Mar-2015: Received RFE (Marriage Cert)

16-Mar-2015: Sent RFE to NSC

17-Mar-2015: NSC Received Docs for RFE

24-Mar-2015: Received NOA2 - Online notification

31-Mar-2015: Received NOA2 - by mail

06-Apr-2015: NVC Received case from USCIS

NVC

15-Apr-2015: Got assigned NVC Case #, IIN #

20-Apr-2015: Submitted DS-261

21-Apr-2015: Received DS-261 / AOS Bill

22-Apr-2015: Paid AOS Bill

24-Apr-2015: AOS Payment processed

29-Apr-2015: NVC updated our account that the petitioner is the agent

06-May-2015: Received IV Fee Invoice

21-May-2015: Sent IV Fee via mail with a cashier's check (Online payment was down)

27-May-2015: Sent Civil & Financial documents to NVC

01-Jun-2015: NVC Cashed the check

08-Jun-2015: NVC Received the documents sent on 5/27

09-Oct-2015: Received RFE for Police Certificate, but n/a for Indonesia. Put on Supervisor's list

17-Nov-2015: Case Complete at NVC

US Embassy

16-Dec-2015: Medical Checkup, ready in 3 days

06-Jan-2016: Interview Date - Approved!

13-Jan-2016: Passport & Visa in hand

xx-xxx-2016: POE (TBD)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The OP hasn't logged on to VJ since mid-May.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

hi Jdtravails, i'm curious to know what was your next actions as I'm finding myself in the same situation as yours (but different baby due date - May 2016). Thanks!

Call/do an online chat with the Embassy department in the country you are located, if possible. But they weren't terribly useful to me. E-mailing directly with that department, or doing a Skype audio call is an option. E-mail tends to work best here as the staff is typically not all that... let's say, patient.

They told me I could postpone the interview for up to a year after the last action, which means I have until around mid/early next year.

I likely will be going through the process sometime between Jan and March.

Best of luck. As with anything from a random stranger on the Internet, YMMV and you should definitely talk directly with someone at the Embassy that handles these issues.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Excellent answer from the OP during a timely return. :thumbs:

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Call/do an online chat with the Embassy department in the country you are located, if possible. But they weren't terribly useful to me. E-mailing directly with that department, or doing a Skype audio call is an option. E-mail tends to work best here as the staff is typically not all that... let's say, patient.

They told me I could postpone the interview for up to a year after the last action, which means I have until around mid/early next year.

I likely will be going through the process sometime between Jan and March.

Best of luck. As with anything from a random stranger on the Internet, YMMV and you should definitely talk directly with someone at the Embassy that handles these issues.

Thanks for the quick response!

Agree YMMV and I'll find out directly with my embassy. As of now, I'm still overdue for a case complete from NVC so no interviews are scheduled (by NVC or embassy).

If you could postpone your interview for up to a year, how would you deal with AOS or proof of income? My USC wife is the petitioner and she's here with me now in Indonesia. We do have a co-sponsor in our AOS, but I'd imagine it would be hard to explain the situation when the actual interview comes along. Would the embassy require updated tax returns?

Of course I could simply ask these to the embassy, but i'm afraid it'll raise their suspicions and put a flag on my case

Dec-2013: Got married

USCIS

18-Sep-2014: Sent I-130 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

23-Sep-2014: Received NOA1 - routed to Nebraska SC

09-Mar-2015: Received RFE (Marriage Cert)

16-Mar-2015: Sent RFE to NSC

17-Mar-2015: NSC Received Docs for RFE

24-Mar-2015: Received NOA2 - Online notification

31-Mar-2015: Received NOA2 - by mail

06-Apr-2015: NVC Received case from USCIS

NVC

15-Apr-2015: Got assigned NVC Case #, IIN #

20-Apr-2015: Submitted DS-261

21-Apr-2015: Received DS-261 / AOS Bill

22-Apr-2015: Paid AOS Bill

24-Apr-2015: AOS Payment processed

29-Apr-2015: NVC updated our account that the petitioner is the agent

06-May-2015: Received IV Fee Invoice

21-May-2015: Sent IV Fee via mail with a cashier's check (Online payment was down)

27-May-2015: Sent Civil & Financial documents to NVC

01-Jun-2015: NVC Cashed the check

08-Jun-2015: NVC Received the documents sent on 5/27

09-Oct-2015: Received RFE for Police Certificate, but n/a for Indonesia. Put on Supervisor's list

17-Nov-2015: Case Complete at NVC

US Embassy

16-Dec-2015: Medical Checkup, ready in 3 days

06-Jan-2016: Interview Date - Approved!

13-Jan-2016: Passport & Visa in hand

xx-xxx-2016: POE (TBD)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.