We Keep Receipts

Black professor regrets comments critical of white students

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

yeah, it's always interested me that some people can perceive the same comment as 'racist misandrist' while others perceive it as 'an unpopular opinion'. potato potato.

perhaps you may want to put the shoe on the other foot

original statement: "white college males" a "problem population"

fill in the blank: "______college ______" a "problem population"

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

perhaps you may want to put the shoe on the other foot

original statement: "white college males" a "problem population"

fill in the blank: "______college ______" a "problem population"

no, i understand completely why you feel the comments are racist/misandrist. i just don't agree. like i said in the other thread, this is the exact reason malcolm x is not as popular a figure as mlk. have you ever read 'malcom x' or did you see the movie? i haven't seen it in a long time but i believe the quote is there too.

Anyway, I'd never seen anyone I ever spoke to before more affected than this little white college girl. She demanded, right up in my face, "Don't you believe there are any good white people?" I didn't want to hurt her feelings. I told her, "People's deeds I believe in, Miss—not their words." "What can I do?" she exclaimed. I told her, "Nothing." She burst out crying, and ran out and up Lenox Avenue and caught a taxi. (15.129)

This scene comes after Malcolm X explains that he believes the integration of white people into black activist groups often diminishes their effectiveness. So what does he expect them to do? Nothing.

http://www.shmoop.com/the-autobiography-of-malcolm-x/race-quotes-3.html

[quote name=

it's the need for nuance and need to speak about race 'delicately' that keeps race relations strained, imo.

True that

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

yeah, it's always interested me that some people can perceive the same comment as 'racist misandrist' while others perceive it as 'an unpopular opinion'. potato potato.

"white masculinity is THE problem for America's colleges."

How else could it be perceived?

As another poster stated, Double standard.

You can't be a racist if you are black, and lets not forget the "N" word. If a white man uses the "N" word it racist and derogatory, But if a black man uses the "N" word then it's fine.....

"white masculinity is THE problem for America's colleges."

How else could it be perceived?

As another poster stated, Double standard.

You can't be a racist if you are black, and lets not forget the "N" word. If a white man uses the "N" word it racist and derogatory, But if a black man uses the "N" word then it's fine.....

replace 'white masculinity' with 'privilege' - if she would have used a term that is accepted by the masses, no one would pay her tweets or whatever any mind. but for the most part if you hear someone say 'privilege' in american social context - they are saying 'white masculinity'.

imo, it isn't a double standard. because the standard is not equal to begin with.

and white and black people can use the n word and not be racist or have ill intent. i firmly believe that. i also believe that any white person my age or older, knows better and doesn't use the word out of respect. but i can't speak for the kids today, except for to tell them to get off my lawn.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

replace 'white masculinity' with 'privilege' - if she would have used a term that is accepted by the masses, no one would pay her tweets or whatever any mind. but for the most part if you hear someone say 'privilege' in american social context - they are saying 'white masculinity'.

imo, it isn't a double standard. because the standard is not equal to begin with.

and white and black people can use the n word and not be racist or have ill intent. i firmly believe that. i also believe that any white person my age or older, knows better and doesn't use the word out of respect. but i can't speak for the kids today, except for to tell them to get off my lawn.

We gonna play what if? No she made a direct comment against White Males.

I use the "N" word quite a bit, and I also use the "F" word a lot. It can be taken in quite a many context.

But I am a little different than the average white guy.

Edited by VOL

I use the "N" word quite a bit, and I also use the "F" word a lot. It can be taken in quite a many context.

no, i'm not playing any games. please note the additional comments she made in her apology concerning nuance and delicacy..

how so?

i don't really consider it a rant. it's speaking an unpopular opinion, publicly. people keep saying the black community needs to pull themselves up by the ol bootstraps but then feel threatened when they attempt to come together. why take it personally? hopefully her boss is smarter than that.

I think it's easy to take personally when the comment she made was all inclusive and clearly denigrating an entire sex based on race. Don't confuse bitterness and clear dislike based solely on race with 'strength. '

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

I think it's easy to take personally when the comment she made was all inclusive and clearly denigrating an entire sex based on race. Don't confuse bitterness and clear dislike based solely on race with 'strength. '

explain?

Why are you using the N word?

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I might have misunderstood, but seems like you are white and use the N word? Correct?

I might have misunderstood, but seems like you are white and use the N word? Correct?

That would be correct. He gets a pass because he is a Southern man. These passes are handed out in the birthing suite of each hospital below the Mason-Dixon line.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

explain?

The professor clearly made a comment which included all White Males. An entire sex based solely on race.

I think it's more understandable that a Black female could possess and express such a hateful viewpoint which includes all White males but I don't think that it can be wished away as a poorly articulated comment. Nor is it not personally offensive and sad, especially in light of pretending it is an attempt to bring together Black people.

I don't see racism in things like affirmative action. I see it in any one espousing blanket negative opinions about anyone else based solely on race. That is what this professor clearly did.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

The professor clearly made a comment which included all White Males. An entire sex based solely on race.

I think it's more understandable that a Black female could possess and express such a hateful viewpoint which includes all White males but I don't think that it can be wished away as a poorly articulated comment. Nor is it not personally offensive and sad, especially in light of pretending it is an attempt to bring together Black people.

I don't see racism in things like affirmative action. I see it in any one espousing blanket negative opinions about anyone else based solely on race. That is what this professor clearly did.

i feel like most people find her comments so upsetting because they're taking them personally. i certainly don't take offense. maybe it's because i'm female and i understand the premise that it's difficult to empower the minority within the majority construct. minorities are used to being excluded, the majority absolutely cannot stand to be excluded. not to wish this away as poor word choice, just that the topic is too complex to properly process if taken personally.

this is from the bu president's response, do you agree with his comments?

At Boston University, we acknowledge Dr. Grundy’s right to hold and express her opinions. Our community is composed of faculty, staff, and students who represent widely varying points of view on many sensitive issues.At the same time, we fully appreciate why many have reacted so strongly to her statements. Boston University does not condone racism or bigotry in any form, and we are committed to maintaining an educational environment that is free from bias, fully inclusive, and open to wide-ranging discussions. We are disappointed and concerned by statements that reduce individuals to stereotypes on the basis of a broad category such as sex, race, or ethnicity. I believe Dr. Grundy’s remarks fit this characterization.

I do not say this lightly or without a great deal of consultation and soul-searching. I understand there is a broader context to Dr. Grundy’s tweets and that, as a scholar, she has the right to pursue her research, formulate her views, and challenge the rest of us to think differently about race relations. But we also must recognize that words have power and the words in her Twitter feed were powerful in the way they stereotyped and condemned other people. As a university president, I am accustomed to living in a world where faculty do—and should—have great latitude to express their opinions and provoke discussion. But I also have an obligation to speak up when words become hurtful to one group or another in the way they typecast and label its members. That is why I weigh in on this issue today.

Too often conversations about race quickly become inflamed and divisive. We must resolve to find a vocabulary for these conversations that allows us to seek answers without intemperance, rancor, or unnecessary divisiveness. We expect our faculty members to strive to create this environment in their classrooms.

I also understand that some members of our faculty believe that any equivocation by the president is tantamount to not supporting a new colleague. To those who feel that way, I ask that we talk rather than jump to conclusions. I recognize this is a difficult issue and I welcome the chance to talk with all of you and Dr. Grundy about it.

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2015/05/boston-university-president-responds-to-saida-grundy-tweets-and-grundy-apologizes/