good_good

DV lottery - how to correct Spelling mistake in Last Name

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Experts,

My wife's DV application got selected in DV Lottery 2016 as a principal applicant, where me and my 13 year old son are as accompany members. We're only three members. We have done a mistake while submitting detail about our son's info in DV form. We mistakenly filled wrong City and Country as his birth place. Though we have our son’s passport which has USA's L2 visa (expired); which reflects his correct City and Country of his birth.

Another mistake done in writing her last name in the DV application form: in place of "AMANDA", she mistakenly typed "AMNADA".

Please suggest :
1) how can we get his birth and Country name corrected in his DV form so that we should not lose this golden opportunity ?
2) how to correct the spelling mistake in my wife's last name ?

Please shed some light.

rgd,
good_good

As your son is a derivative, the incorrect birthplace shouldn't be a problem.

The incorrect spelling of your wife's name as principal applicant may be a big problem. Some embassies may give leeway for this but others have been known to disqualify applicants for incorrect spelling of names (because it cannot be 100% sure it is the person on the entry form, and because this lends suspicion that the person has tried to beat the system with multiple entries - one of the 'tricks' is transposing letters in the name or changing date of birth - and multiple entry disqualifies you). It seems that the disqualification is more of a problem in certain embassies dealing with high fraud rates, so while no-one can be certain on the outcome, we may be able to better make suggestions if we know where you will be interviewing?

Hi SusieQQQ,

Thank you for your response !

As of now I am in India(dv origin county is Nepal). But I have option to Travel USA in next month as I have L1 visa with me. Do you think being in the USA is more favorable than being interviewed in India ?

Please suggest.

Also, should I submit our DS-260 form immediately now ; or should we make a call to KCC to explain the problem we have in our form. So that we might get an opportunity to rectify DV entry as I can read here : http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/if-you-are-selected/submit-your-ds-260-online-application.html

Please suggest I need your valuable inputs to decide my next step.

rgd,

good_good

Hi SusieQQQ,

Thank you for your response !

As of now I am in India(dv origin county is Nepal). But I have option to Travel USA in next month as I have L1 visa with me. Do you think being in the USA is more favorable than being interviewed in India ?

Please suggest.

Also, should I submit our DS-260 form immediately now ; or should we make a call to KCC to explain the problem we have in our form. So that we might get an opportunity to rectify DV entry as I can read here : http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/if-you-are-selected/submit-your-ds-260-online-application.html

Please suggest I need your valuable inputs to decide my next step.

rgd,

good_good

You can't change what is already in the original entry, so there is no point calling KCC. They can't and won't change it. You can only make corrections in the DS260 form and hope for the best.

I really can't say whether or not you have more chance of being approved in the US. If L1 is dual intent (as I believe it is) then yes going to the US to adjust status is an option for you. But I can't say if it will be safer or not as it depends on the front office you deal with, some of them don't see many DV cases, etc.

What is your case number?

case n# is 2016ASxxxxxxxx

Does a case number reflects any information, by the way ?

As a DV interview will start from Oct 2015 through Sep2016; is there any specific date range when consulate will entertain the Status Change cases(L1 to DV Lottery based) ?

I am trying to know if we are in the USA then, whether I could get interview date for Status Change before October 2015.

Edited by good_good

All you've told us there is that your case is Asia region, which we figured out anyway ;)

Just x the last 3 digits, ignore the zeros. So if you are AS00005343 write AS5xxx.

Selectees are interviewed in case number order, with the applicable numbers published in the monthly visa bulletin. You need to have your number "current" to be interviewed.

But no you most certainly could not get an interview before October 2015 as DV2016 only begins that month. You can only get an interview when your number is current. If you do AOS rather than consular processing, it often actually happens that you interview later - but never earlier.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Hi SusieQQQ,

Thank you for your response.

I was trying to understand the "current" concept of visa. I am looking at this website: http://www.travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin/2015/visa-bulletin-for-may-2015.html

It says for May 2015:

ASIA 5,275

and for June 2015:

ASIA 5,950

Does it means that candidates having case number AS...xxxx to Case number AS5275 are eligible to get interviewed in May; and similarly,

Case number betweem AS5275 to AS5950 will be interviewed in June ? Please correct me if I am getting wrong anything.

Also, how to make sure of "Current" case number in any specific country in ASIA ??

Please shed some light on this.

rgd,

good_good

Edited by good_good

Very few countries are "specific" in DV, only the ones that have very many entrants and usually in Africa.

Any case number below the one current for the month may be interviewed. It will end up mostly being the ones between the two months as you deduced, but if someone who "should" have interviewed in a previous month missed it, for example due to late DS form submission, they will get an interview slot in the current month if their forms are processed.

May I suggest you read britsimonsays.com blog as it explains many of these things very clearly. It will be very illuminating.

Edited by SusieQQQ

One quick question:

if I have to travel out of my country for few months, say to Canada, by the end of August because of my official work; then will I have any way to switch my consular processing country to Canada in my already submitted Visa Application form ?

any input pls ?

You will contact KCC and request a change. Bear in mind this often leads to delays, and some people have reported that the changes don't always get activated correctly, so be prepared for gremlins if that situation arises.

Also you may have a problem if you are only there for a few months. Remember if you do CP there is around a 2-month lead to interviews being scheduled. I think I missed your case number below but let's say for example it is low and you would be current in October 2015. You need to let KCC know by early August at the latest. Let's say they miss that. You are now in Canada in September and they only now process you for CP. That gets put into the round they do scheduling for in early October, so you get a December interview, or there is some delay at KCC (because of the change or in processing the DS260 or whatever) and you only end up with a Jan or Feb interview. But whoops, you are back in your own country or in the US by then. Now you need to get it changed back to the other consulate or AOS with another couple of months' delay... Obviously I don't know your dates etc but this is just an example ...bottom line it's really better not to be moving countries too much when you are trying to get an immigrant visa interview sorted out, especially when you have little say in the date of the interview.

Hi SusieQQQ,

This is completely an eye opener suggestion to me because, there has been a discussion going on in my office since last couple of days, where I am given preferences to choose a project running in Canada or US.

But for now, this lottery is more significant to me. Hence I agree with you that there might be more potential delay and relocation, which may weaken my winning possibility.

Thank you for your valuable suggestion!

Good bless you !

Edited by good_good

• 5 months later...

Hi to everyone!

I have a question...

My name has some letters that english alphabet cannot recognise, such as "ŠĐČĆŽ", so when I was applying DV lottery 2017, I wrote my name without these letters, I mean, I didn't leave any letter from my name, I just left these "signs" above letters and wrote regular english alphabet letters.

These small "signs" above or under letter are very common in Slavic nations, from middle or east Europe.

instead of "Č", I put "C"

Now I am slightly apprehensive about what I have done... Would that be a problem for me? Am I going to be disqualified?

thanks!

Hi to everyone!

I have a question...

My name has some letters that english alphabet cannot recognise, such as "ĐČĆŽ", so when I was applying DV lottery 2017, I wrote my name without these letters, I mean, I didn't leave any letter from my name, I just left these "signs" above letters and wrote regular english alphabet letters.

These small "signs" above or under letter are very common in Slavic nations, from middle or east Europe.

instead of "Č", I put "C"

Now I am slightly apprehensive about what I have done... Would that be a problem for me? Am I going to be disqualified?

thanks!

It's fine, relax!

• 1 year later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.