immi378

Urgent - didn't tell my son about moving to the U.S. yet, how should I handle this at the interview?

29 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am getting nervous since my interview is in a couple of days in Frankfurt for my son's immigration visa (I am a U.S. citizen and German, my other son also). We are currently living in Germany and are planning on moving back this August as soon as I have the visa for my son.

I have not told my son yet that we will be moving back and since he has to be present at the interview, I wonder how I should be handling this situation. My plan is to show the officer who will interview us a note stating that I didn't tell my son yet that we are moving, to please consider this when asking the questions. Does that sound o.k. or will it appear strange?

Please advise.

Thank You.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

How old is the child?

I would strongly recommend you tell him before the interview- since he is there, and you think he will be asked questions, I assume he is verbal and old enoughto answer questions, in which case, he will put two and two together...

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I agree, suspicous as hell.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Even if they don't ask him any question, he will still be next to you listening - my guess is that unless he is under two years old, or deaf, he will understand. Typical questions are where do you plan to live/when do you plan to move?

I'm much more curious about why you wouldn't tell...

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

No one can tell the consul what to do or not to do. Are you crazy?

This might raise all kinds of questions and I'm sure it can get your visa denied. Is this worth the risk?

You HAVE to tell your son BEFORE the interview. I think the sooner the better...

Edited by Dani&Juli_VE

06/10/2003 - Met in Nueva Esparta, Venezuela
04/20/2013 - Married in Caracas, Venezuela

USCIS STAGE
04/08/2015 - I-130 Package Sent to Chicago Lockbox trough USPS
04/09/2015 - USPS Tracking: "Delivered"
04/13/2015 - Received NOA1 via e-mail and text msg (CSC)
05/22/2015 - Received NOA2 via email and text msg (only 40 days!)

NVC STAGE
06/18/2015 - NVC Received our case (we had to call to figure this one out)
08/03/2015 - Called NVC and retrieved both Case Number and IIN
08/03/2015 - Paid Affidavit of Support Fee ONLINE (IV Fee still not available for payment)
09/09/2015 - Filed DS-261 (Choice of agent) ONLINE
09/15/2015 - Paid IV FEE and filled DS-260 ONLINE
10/20/2015 - Sent both AOS and IV packages trough USPS
10/28/2015 - Got email: Packages received by NVC (Scan date)
12/04/2015 - Called NVC: our case went for "Supervisor Review" (+45 days???)
12/24/2015 - Case Complete...!!! Thank you Lord!!!
12/24/2015 - Interview date scheduled: feb 23rd 2016!!!

23/02/2016 - Interview: Visa Approved

12/03/2016 - Point of Entry: Miami, FL - Perfect!

25/03/2016 - SSN received at mailbox

12/04/2016 - Green Card received at mailbox!!!! Whoohooo!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Your plan is telling embassy interviewer that some questions should be avoided? ... Because you didn't inform your son about the move to US?

Why you didn't tell your son? How old is he?

How to handle the situation? Honesty works for me, you need to sit him down and tell him what is going on.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

How to handle the situation? Honesty works for me, you need to sit him down and tell him what is going on.

This!!!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It does seem a bit strange your son doesn't yet know about the planned move. But I have a question, you mentioned you and your (I presume older) child are both US citizens, why does this child not qualify for citizenship?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Your child definitely needs to know BEFORE the interview, depending on the child's age, it could all blow up in your face at the time of the interview if the child is of age to react badly to finding out you are moving countries....if he reacts badly this could cause all kinds of problems for you and all your plans will be out the window.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My older two kids were asked if they even wanted to move to the US, I would of hated to see if the said no.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why would you not tell to your son about moving to US? Definitely that sounds suspicious for not telling. It's up to you to take the risk but that would raise parental issue my opinion. They are not dumb when it comes to this.

Thank You for all Your fast replies. Both sons were born in Germany, the youngest (1) was born when I had the U.S. citizenship, the oldest (7) was born when I only had a green card. That's why I am now petitioning for him. I have sole custody for both and their father lives in Florida (green card, Brazilian).

I haven't told my oldest yet since he just got settled in here (1.5 years now) and I am planing to get together with their Dad again and since it stated on the online site not to make any travel arrangements until You truly get the visa, I don't want to disappoint him in case we won't get his visa. So the plan was to tell him after it got approved. But if You all advice to tell him before, I just have to do that. Oh well, my mother's caution to preserve him might make it more complicated.

Thank You again for all Your advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.