PickleChips

Which POE is best for BC?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am doing the big move on Friday (long weekend, I know, hopefully traffic won't be too bad south of the border) with a K1 visa. Coming through with a medium Uhaul filled with all my worldly possessions, including firearms. As I am in the Vancouver area, I have several choices of borders. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best (i.e. least stressful) crossing?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Use the Blaine Washington crossing, try to get there early, earlier the better but before 5pm, latest. You can always use the border crossings east of Blaine but you will be wasting time driving to them and driving back to the main interstate. For your firearms, make sure that you know the rules to bring weapons, also make sure you declare them and that you have the necessary documents to bring them in, if you don't you may face being fined, refused entry and even arrested.

Edited by blest.but.strest

Timeline

Thanks Blest! Yup, I have all my permits for the firearms already, I made sure of that!

I usually use Blaine as it's the closest like you say, I will probably stick with that one. I was mostly wondering if anyone has had a bad experience such as their Uhaul didn't fit through the lane or the officers didn't know how to process a K1 visa. You know, worst case scenario stuff...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

GL...Ensure u check over all the fluid levels and tire PSI on that U-haul...UHaul is sort of known for Maintenance issues....My Uhaul was fine..just extremely dirty inside....GL

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We crossed at Peace Arch/Blaine with a K1 a few months ago. They were very knowledgable and it was very easy. Super friendly and chatty. Great experience.

Good luck!

K1 Vancouver

AOS

4/4/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent

4/6/15- Package received

4/9/15- NOA1- text/email

4/13/15- NOA1 hard copy EAD/AP (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/14/15- NOA1 hard copy AOS (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/17/15- Biometrics Letter received

4/29/15- Biometrics completed

6/23/15 (Day 77)- Service request

7/2/15 (Day 86)- Service request complete, email of approval of EAD (approved on June 30)

12/29/15- Interview

Timeline

Thanks guys! I have come across another point in my research about POEs: can I use the my Nexus card in the Nexus lane with my K1? Just in case traffic is bad.

Thanks guys! I have come across another point in my research about POEs: can I use the my Nexus card in the Nexus lane with my K1? Just in case traffic is bad.

no. You have to go into secondary handing in your K1 package.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

We crossed at Peace Arch/Blaine with a K1 a few months ago. They were very knowledgable and it was very easy. Super friendly and chatty. Great experience.

Good luck!

Do you mean the Peace Arch Crossing or the Blaine crossing (aka the truck crossing)?

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do you mean the Peace Arch Crossing or the Blaine crossing (aka the truck crossing)?

Peace Arch.

Both Peace Arch and truck crossing put you in Blaine. Sorry for any confusion, I have always referred to them as either Peace Arch or Truck Crossing, not Peace Arch or Blaine (truck crossing).

K1 Vancouver

AOS

4/4/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent

4/6/15- Package received

4/9/15- NOA1- text/email

4/13/15- NOA1 hard copy EAD/AP (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/14/15- NOA1 hard copy AOS (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/17/15- Biometrics Letter received

4/29/15- Biometrics completed

6/23/15 (Day 77)- Service request

7/2/15 (Day 86)- Service request complete, email of approval of EAD (approved on June 30)

12/29/15- Interview

Timeline

My experience was going through the Blaine truck crossing. The officer handling my case was difficult - he told me he didn't think K1 visas still existed and asked me where I got it from and then didn't know how to process it. Thankfully another officer was there and talked him through it and we went through fine. I didn't really enjoy the experience because he then started ranting about how K1 shouldn't exist, only CR1 (I think he had a personal beef with the wait he had for his wife who was from somewhere in South America and didn't like 'just engaged' couples being processed as fast). Normally while crossing my experience has been positive though and it does tend to be a few minutes faster than Peace Arch because most people from Vancouver just head to that one by default. I don't know as much about the Peace Arch crossing.

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

VeeNDee, I was reading your review and that was what got me thinking in the first place about which crossing to take! I'm crossing my fingers that it will go better than yours did, what a nightmare.

NLR, I had read that I could take the Nexus lane (can't find the thread now of course) and go into secondary from there. But I don't think I will risk it as I don't want a CBP having a bad day yell at me lol

Edited by Katmedic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.