ce2010

I-134 Affidavit of Support Questions.

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello Everyone,

i have few questions about Affidavit of Support I-134 and hopefully this information and topic will help people for the future.

I am a SELF EMPLOYED PERSON. i own my own business.

1. how many years of taxes i have to include with I-134 submission? which number-line in taxes will be looked at? is it line 22?

2. what is form I-864 ? for consulate interview we need I-134 or I-864??

3. my last year income was 21,810$ ... it is over the %125 poverty line. so i can be fine with this... what do you think? i have around 17000$(checking 3500$, saving 13.000$) in personal bank account and 30.000$ in my business bank account.

4. how many months of bank statements i have to include in the I-134 package?

in the form it says "I have on deposit in savings banks in the United States" : should i only put my personal bank account balances or since i own my business i can include business account too?

and it says i need to get a letter from bank. does date matter ? my balances does not change too much but date mattters or not for the letter?

5. it asks "I have other personal property, the reasonable value of which is " can i include motorcycle and motorhome titles that i own?? what else i can put for this?

6. for the question 10 on the I-134 ... DATE SUBMITTED part ... is it when they opened my case and gave me the receipt date? or what i should put for this?

7. for question 11. there is a box for INTENT or DO NOT INTENT what to put for this ( this is very confusing what they are asking for ??)

8. Oath or Affirmation of Sponsor

I acknowledge that I have read "Sponsor and Alien Liability" on Page 2 of the instructions for this form, and am aware of my responsibilities as a sponsor under the Social Security Act, as amended, and the Food Stamp Act, as amended.

-------------I certify under penalty of perjury under United States law that I know the contents of this affidavit signed by me and that the statements are true and correct.

BEFORE THE I CERTIFY PART DO I WRITE MY NAME????

Hopefully this topic will help people in future too...

Thank you

Hello Everyone,

i have few questions about Affidavit of Support I-134 and hopefully this information and topic will help people for the future.

1. how many years of taxes i have to include with I-134 submission? which number-line in taxes will be looked at? is it line 22?

The instructions said just a copy of the last income tax return you filed. No idea what line 22 is since I-134 only has about 11 items on it to fill out. When I did my interview though, we overprepared and brought his income tax return for the last 3 years. They only took the latest though.

Here is the instructions to filling out the I-134:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-134instr.pdf

You need I-134 for K1 visa.

I-864 is used during Adjustment of Status/after you get married.

3. my last year income was 21,810$ ... it is over the %125 poverty line. so i can be fine with this... what do you think? i have around 17000$(checking 3500$, saving 13.000$) in personal bank account and 30.000$ in my business bank account.

If your household size is only for 2 (you and your fiancee), then you should be fine without the savings etc.

I don't know how big your household is so you case base it on the guideline:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

in the form it says "I have on deposit in savings banks in the United States" : should i only put my personal bank account balances or since i own my business i can include business account too?

and it says i need to get a letter from bank. does date matter ? my balances does not change too much but date mattters or not for the letter?

You don't really need to include this since you meet the poverty standard but if you want to fill it out, go ahead and use your personal account. Refer to the I-134 instructions on what details the bank letter should have.

5. it asks "I have other personal property, the reasonable value of which is " can i include motorcycle and motorhome titles that i own?? what else i can put for this?

Again, you really don't need this. Based on how much you make and your savings, its overkill. But yeah you can include all those you enumerated (can add your house, any buildings you own etc).

6. for the question 10 on the I-134 ... DATE SUBMITTED part ... is it when they opened my case and gave me the receipt date? or what i should put for this?

See the example here on VJ:

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Form-I-134.pdf

7. for question 11. there is a box for INTENT or DO NOT INTENT what to put for this ( this is very confusing what they are asking for ??)

See the example here on VJ:

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Form-I-134.pdf

I acknowledge that I have read "Sponsor and Alien Liability" on Page 2 of the instructions for this form, and am aware of my responsibilities as a sponsor under the Social Security Act, as amended, and the Food Stamp Act, as amended.

-------------I certify under penalty of perjury under United States law that I know the contents of this affidavit signed by me and that the statements are true and correct.

You don't write anything on it. Just your signature and the date on the lower portion.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

You only need the most recent tax transcript or complete copy of return with all forms, schedules, 1099s, etc. However, if it will help prove stable ongoing income, then provide up to the last 3 years worth of transcripts. Yes, they will look at line 22 of the 1040, which is Total Income, when someone is self-employed.

I-134 is needed for the K-1 visa interview. The I-864 is a legally binding affidavit of support that you will need to submit later, after you are married and the foreign spouse is filing for adjustment of status.

If you have no minor children or dependents claimed on your taxes, then that is enough for a household of 2, you and your fiance(e).

If you want to include proof your bank accounts, then show the personal account statements. No need for assets at all though, if your income meets the requirement.

Yes, put your NOA1 receipt date.

Fill it in exactly like the example form > http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Form-I-134.pdf

Yes, the sponsor filling out the form puts their full name there to indicate they acknowledge reading the liabilities in the instructions. See image here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/518969-i-134-is-a-confusing-form-help/?p=7296537

Hopefully this topic will help people in future too...

Thank you

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I am also self employed. My line 22 of 1040 statement is $20,095: just above the 125% threshold for poverty for 2 people here: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

I recently filed my 1040 taxes however claimed a dependent so now I would need to meet the 125% minimum for 3 people correct? I think it would be easier just to amend my recently filed return and remove that dependent and I can clear when it is time for me to file the affidavit of support form.

does it matter about assets example (house, car, property, bank accts) etc or is all the info pulled from line 22 of my 2014 1040 tax return and my household size?

Edited by palmtreeluke

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am not sure how readily Thailand will accept assets, but I know they can be used later for the I-864 when filing for AOS after you are married.

It would be helpful if you could amend the taxes to have a household size that meets the requirement through total personal income alone.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.