SuzieQTpi

Working in USA for Canadian employer

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just looking for some information, input, comments....

I will be moving to the US once our IR-1 application is approved.

My current Canadian employer does not want to lose me as an employee and has offered to let me work remotely from the USA. We are on direct deposit so my pay would continue to be automatically deposited into my Canadian bank. I have a US account with a branch of this bank, and transfer money regularly from my Canadian to US bank.

Will I have to pay Canadian AND US taxes on my income? Is there a way around it?

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just saw an accountant about that yesterday! Basically, your Canadian employer will have to subtract some taxes from your pay, just as they do now, but a lesser amount if you are considered a non resident for fiscal purpose. Of they don't withheld enough, they'll be the one held responsible.

Then you will have to declare all international revenues to the US IRS and you'll be taxed by the state you live in and the federal government, both taking into account the amount you already contributed at the Canadian revenue source.

My accountant also advised me to fill out the NR73 form that declares to CRA that you are no longer a Canadian resident. Of course until the point you are no longer a Canadian resident, you'll have to pay Canadian taxes as you normally would!

“Absence diminishes mediocre passions and increases great ones, as the wind extinguishes candles and fans fires.”

Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Meeting Online / Fall 2010

Met in Person / January 2011

Engaged / November 2012

WEDDING DAY! / March 8th 2014

I-130 sent / May 5th 2014

NOA1 Received / May 15th 2014

NOA2 Received / October 6th 2014

DS-260 + I-864 sent / January 19th 2015

Case Completed / March 30th 2015!!!

Montreal Embassy Interview / May 19th 2015 APPROVED!

Visa in hand / May 25th 2015

POE / June 27th 2015

Home in SD / July 2nd 2015

SSN Received / July 8th 2015

Green Card in hand / July 26th 2015

AOS / ... 2017

Most Canadians in your situation pay taxes in the US and will not pay into Canada taxes, EI or CPP. It depends on different factors and it might be worth a consult with an accountant.

(In my situation, my income is not taxable in the US, so I file married filing jointly, declare it as non taxable income to the IRS; then file as non-resident in Canada)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

(In my situation, my income is not taxable in the US, so I file married filing jointly, declare it as non taxable income to the IRS; then file as non-resident in Canada)

Excuse my (insatiable) curiosity: what type of income do you have that is not taxable in the US?

“Absence diminishes mediocre passions and increases great ones, as the wind extinguishes candles and fans fires.”

Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Meeting Online / Fall 2010

Met in Person / January 2011

Engaged / November 2012

WEDDING DAY! / March 8th 2014

I-130 sent / May 5th 2014

NOA1 Received / May 15th 2014

NOA2 Received / October 6th 2014

DS-260 + I-864 sent / January 19th 2015

Case Completed / March 30th 2015!!!

Montreal Embassy Interview / May 19th 2015 APPROVED!

Visa in hand / May 25th 2015

POE / June 27th 2015

Home in SD / July 2nd 2015

SSN Received / July 8th 2015

Green Card in hand / July 26th 2015

AOS / ... 2017

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Canada regional forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.