KokiLulu

Did not send letter of intent to marry from fiance

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Miao and zhou, did you wait for an RFE or did you send it before receiving an rfe? Was your petition apprived by uscis? They received my dice 2.5 months ago so i don't know if i am too far into the process to add additional docs

of course i submitted it after i receive the the RFE letter, it wasn't approved, they need to have the evidence which they require on mail to approve it.

which service center handling your application? Texas or California

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Texas service center is handling my case. The reason i asked about if you waited for the RFE is because in my original post i was asking if there is a way to go ahead and send in the missing document now instead of waiting until CIS discovers it's missing

hmmmm, These posts are specifically talking about the "Letter of Intent to Marry"

Under VisaJourney's Guide:

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-I129f.html

4. Declaration of how you met in person in the last two years. This should be a single typed page regarding question 18 of the I-129F. Make sure to sign and date it. 5. Original statements (from both the US Citizen and foreign fiance) certifying an intent to marry within 90 days of entering the US on a valid K-1. (see example)

#4, I didnt see question 18 on the i-129f where this applies. But this should still be self explanatory right?

#5, You can find an example link on the original VisaJourney website that I provided. I dont know for certain if this should be notarized, but me and my wife took the liberty of notarizing all of our hand typed documents that had a signature. ( I did the CR1 Spouse visa, and I provided sworn statements from friends and family )

Unfortunately i saw the checklist on visajourney after using the lawyer to submit my file

Edited by KokiLulu

Timeline

i went through what you are facing now.

and i ask around, some ppl said yes but other said no, so i don't know what to do, since someone on your post said they had successfully done it.

why not give it a try. don't need to go express, just regular certified mail.

remember include your "receipt number"

it's a pain to me when i have to wait more time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My experience contradicts the other responses to this question.

I mistakenly sent a document with a copy of the original signature. When I discovered this, I waited until I had my NOA-1 receipt number, then sent in the document with the original signature. In the cover letter, I referenced the Date of the NOA-1 and the receipt number, provided a brief explanation of what the document was, asked the officer to interfile the document with the previous petition, and overnighted the package to the Dallas Lockbox facility.

You might direct your attorney to do this for you at no charge since it was their error. After they do that, then have a discussion with them about their future employment with you.

I wish i had joined visa journey a long time ago. Maybe then I would not be in the position I am in now. I hired an attorney to do my fiance's K-1 visa petition. The lawyer provided me with a checklist of docs he needed from me to send to USCIS. The list did not mention a letter of intent to marry from the fiance, only the US citizen petitioner. Also when the assistant checked over the docs I gave her, she never mentioned needed that letter either. The attorney also supposedly checked over my docs and applications before sending them out and never requested such a letter from me. Now, 2 months later, i am learning I needed to include a letter of intent from my fiance. I contacted my attorney and he agreed I should've included the letter and he thought I had sent one. I am beyond livid. This attorney and his assistant had ample opportunity to notice something was missing but did not. Will this definitely result in an RFE? Or does CIS sometimes let some files slide by with a letter from the citizen only? Is there a way to send the letter in now or do I have to wait for the RFE first? My case is in TCS so we are already looking at another 4 months at least, without and RFE.

RobRod and KokiLulu,

If I may, I'd suggest that you consider that your two situations are entirely and completely different. In the case of KokiLulu, there was NO letter of intent from the beneficiary whatsoever. In the case of RobRod, there WAS a letter of intent, but he sent a COPY OF THE ORIGINAL letter, not the original itself. Those are two VERY DIFFERENT animals.

Sorry RobRod, but your experience actually does NOT contradict what others have said; it is highly unlikely that your submission was linked with your original packet. Not impossible, granted, it could have happened, but not likely. And the reason that you didn't get an RFE was likely NOT because the original was put with your file but rather because of the fact that an original letter of intent is NOT REQUIRED with the initial I-129F packet. The instructions clearly state that copies of originals of all documents are acceptable, but that you may be requested to submit originals at some point in the future. I - and many others - know this to be true because I also received an approval and did not include the original letters of intent at any point.

Sorry for the nit, but with all of the misinformation going around, it seemed worthy to make the distinction here.

Sorry KokiLulu, but yeah, you'll need to wait for the RFE.

ps-As others have said, dump the lawyer and just do it yourself. The process really isn't that difficult.

Edited by av8or1

9/8/14 - I129F petition sent to the USCIS lockbox via USPS
9/11/14 - Petition received @ USCIS lockbox
9/11/14 - NOA1 Email and text message received
9/15/14 - NOA1 Official notice date
9/18/14 - NOA1 hard copy received
12/9/14 - "Updated" likely because of website repairs, like many of us received
4/20/15 - NOA2 text and email (221 days)

4/29/15 - Sent to the NVC (9 days)

5/8/15 - Arrived at the NVC (9 days)

5/13/15 - Left the NVC (5 days)

5/15/15 - Electronic version arrived at the embassy (2 days)

5/20/15 - Paper copy arrived at the embassy (7 days)

6/4/15 - Status changed to AP (which meant that we could schedule the interview)

6/16/15 - Medical

6/17/15 - K1 APPROVED!!!!

6/30/15 - Passport and sealed envelope delivered via courier

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

With all due respect, your answer, av8or1, is just as speculative as mine. It can't hurt to try it in the manner I suggested. If you are right, an RFE is assured. If I am right, a month has been saved. Seems like a good bet to me.

By the way, the document I sent with copied signatures is one that requires originals according to the USCIS adjudicator field manual. It was not the letter of intent.

My hunch is that the document was interfiled with the petition. I know it was received.

Edited by RobRod

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Same thing happened to me when i was in k1 stage, but uscis request for it at d last minute bcos i was approved after the 3rd day my letter of intend to marry got to uscis in texas, so i dont think is something that can delay u much

Timeline

Same thing happened to me when i was in k1 stage, but uscis request for it at d last minute bcos i was approved after the 3rd day my letter of intend to marry got to uscis in texas, so i dont think is something that can delay u much

is that mean you got approved after you submitted in the evidence to USCIS?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Lawyers are useless for a K-1 visa. They make more mistakes than someone who works from the information on this site.

IF you had gone to the ""Guides"" section on top of the home page, and clicked on K-1.,.,.then print it out, and study, for a few days before you start.

Then, you double and triple check every document, and keep two copies of everything. You need to be careful, and prudent, but it is not hard.

Just the double and triple checking of all documents, would have showed you what was missing.

I hate to see you lose all this time, over incompetence, is a shame.,.,.and you paid for this.

It is a shame, feel bad for you and yours.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

OP- don't wait for the RFE. Just mail in the letters of intent and be sure to provide your case # and any other info. What's the worst that could happen? You get the RFE. What's the best case? You don't get a RFE.

I made a minor error on the I-129f form, my fiancee noticed it about a month later after our submission, I sent in a corrected form (per the advice of a USCIS tier 1 person). No delays and the corrected form is the one that ended up at the embassy month laters.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I also did not submit letters from fiance's friends and family in egypt. Are those necessary?

They aren't necessary, but because Egypt cases tend to be more scrutinized than other countries, the more "evidence" you have the better.

I would wait for the RFE only because you KNOW it will get to your file the way it's supposed to. All your ducks will be in a row.

Good luck and fingers crossed that you get some info very soon!

P.S. I'm sorry this happened with the lawyer. We used a visa service and they SUCKED too. Terrible and really didn't do anything but fill out the paperwork for us (that we actually had to fill out on their website and I'm sure they're program just transfers the information onto the I-129f form. Wasted hundreds of dollars.

Our lovely journey!!

10/08/2015: AOS packet sent to USCIS (Chicago lockbox) via USPS Priority mail (They received it 10/10/15).

10/16/2015: Text/eEmails received from USCIS with receipt number. We received 3.

10/22/2015: Received hard copies of NOA's for I-131, I-765, & I-485.

11/01/2015: Got NOA for biometrics appt (for 11/12/15).

11/03/2015: Did WALK IN biometrics appt - took 15 mins. Person taking said work permit should be in mail in less than 4 wks.

12/09/2015: Got email/text notification for INTERVIEW date.

12/28/2015: Got email/text notification EAD card has been mailed.

12/31/2015: Received EAD/AP card.

01/11/2016: INTERVIEW (in Los Angeles office).

01/11/2016: Case in in "CONTINUANCE". Awaiting approval. (Feels like AP).

06/27/2016: I-485 APPROVED - (FINALLY!!!) / 264 DAYS (8 MONTHS 20 DAYS)

07/01/2016: GREEN CARD RECEIVED

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

So if I have my fiancee's friends and family make letters should I try to send those in now while the file is at USCIS or hold onto them until the interview? Does the CO usually look at additional evidence at the time of the interview or only what was previously submitted?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Wait for your RFE. Respond to the RFE requirement. At that time, include anything additional that you wish to, possibly with a cover-note that says "please pass the attached to the consulate upon petition approval" or similar.

The above is an often-overlooked boon of receiving an RFE -- being able to add evidence to your petition package.

As tempting as it is to send everything "early," I'd wait for the RFE so that you know that the material will be matched up with your file.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.