T-Mo

Wedding in fiancée's country for her family before coming to the U.S. on K-1

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My Fianceé wil be having her K-1 visa interview the first week of June in Bogotá, Colombia. Assuming it goes well for her, I was going to fly out to see her in late July or early August. We wanted to have a wedding ceremony for her family in Colombia before we return together to the United States. Once here in the states, we would do a courthouse type wedding U.S. legal formalities/ AOS purposes (nothing fancy since we did that with her family in Colombia).

If the wedding in Colombia is a legitimate wedding by Colombian standards, is there any issues with that? I am definitely in favor of this as it would give my fiancée's family the opportunity to be a part of the process and we would still be doing the required wedding for K-1 purposes in the states.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by T-Mo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If it is a legal wedding in Colombia, then you can't use the K-1 to enter the US, and you will have to start over with a CR-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Really pretty simple -- if you are married ANYWHERE in the world, it is recognized in the US and you MUST use a Cr-1 / IR-1 visa to enter the US. The K-1 is valid ONLY If you are not married anywhere in the world. So if you get married legally in Colombia, the K-1 is no longer valid and you MUST start over with a CR-1 -- more time, more money down the drain.

K-1 is specifically to get married in the US -- not in addition to somewhere else, but solely in the US.

Edited by AlmostDoneWhew

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If you get married in Colombia, you are not eligible for a K1 Fiancee visa. You will have to start over and file for a CR1/IR1 Spouse visa. Read the I-129F instructions, in particular page 1: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

My Fianceé wil be having her K-1 visa interview the first week of June in Bogotá, Colombia. Assuming it goes well for her, I was going to fly out to see her in late July or early August. We wanted to have a wedding ceremony for her family in Colombia before we return together to the United States. Once here in the states, we would do a courthouse type wedding U.S. legal formalities/ AOS purposes (nothing fancy since we did that with her family in Colombia).

If the wedding in Colombia is a legitimate wedding by Colombian standards, is there any issues with that? I am definitely in favor of this as it would give my fiancée's family the opportunity to be a part of the process and we would still be doing the required wedding for K-1 purposes in the states.

Thanks in advance.

Yes there is an issue, you both have to be NOT married when she enters the US - it is a FIANCÉE visa. You can also get married and file for a CR1 while your fiancée waits in Colombia for another year... :/

Why don't you have a departure party? But, nothing that could be seen as a wedding...

Timeline

thanks to everyone for the quick responses... went with K-1 to avoid the hassle of waiting longer for her to come to the states with K-3 method. I have read a lot of posts and information with people stating that they did a second ceremony for the fiancé(e)'s family in their home country, but never knew the specifics of the "second" ceremonies. So sounds like it is always a non official ceremony without paperwork.

So thus before or after makes no difference (with no papers)?

thanks to everyone for the quick responses... went with K-1 to avoid the hassle of waiting longer for her to come to the states with K-3 method. I have read a lot of posts and information with people stating that they did a second ceremony for the fiancé(e)'s family in their home country, but never knew the specifics of the "second" ceremonies. So sounds like it is always a non official ceremony without paperwork.

So thus before or after makes no difference (with no papers)?

1. if it is viewed as a legal wedding in that country then uscis will see it as you are married.

2. uscis will assume you are married.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

:wow:

No problem with a party.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~The responses that you have received have been in compliance with the site's Terms of Service (TOS). It is against the TOS to give information that could be construed as condoning or aiding in immigration fraud.~

From the TOS:

Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.

PItaya

VJ Moderator

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Really pretty simple -- if you are married ANYWHERE in the world, it is recognized in the US and you MUST use a Cr-1 / IR-1 visa to enter the US. The K-1 is valid ONLY If you are not married anywhere in the world. So if you get married legally in Colombia, the K-1 is no longer valid and you MUST start over with a CR-1 -- more time, more money down the drain.

K-1 is specifically to get married in the US -- not in addition to somewhere else, but solely in the US.

this...

It may even be misconstrued as fraud. Because you try to enter the US under a VISA which does not apply.

PETITION I-130

1/2/2015 - Petition sent to Phoenix Lockbox

1/6/2015 - NOA #1 Receipt

7/1/2015 - NOA #2 Approved

7/10/2015 - Email from Nebraska stating sent the case to NVC

NVC

7/16/15 - Case Received by NVC

7/30/15 - Case number assigned

8/3/15 - DS-261 Agent available

8/4/15 - DS-261 Agent completed

8/4/15 - AOS fee available & paid

8/6/15 - Check cleared the bank & bar-code cover sheet now available

8/13/15 - AOS Packet & IV Packet sent to NVC by priority mail

8/15/15 - IV fee available & paid same day

8/17/15 - NVC received package

8/19/15 - Check cleared the bank & DS-260 available & DS-260 completed!!! ALSO, we received email notification from NVC that they received package on 8/17

- Case completed at NVC

- Case sent to Embassy on this date

EMBASSY

- Embassy received packet

- Wife received Packet 3/4 Instructions

- Medical appointment

- Interview

Point of Entry

- Enter Austin, Texas

Timeline

~The responses that you have received have been in compliance with the site's Terms of Service (TOS). It is against the TOS to give information that could be construed as condoning or aiding in immigration fraud.~

From the TOS:

PItaya

VJ Moderator

Sorry if I am asking too many questions... I am doing so, in order to not screw anything up. The longer I am involved with this process the more I learn that at times, clarification is a fine line. Trying to call UCIS is nearly helpless when using their call center, hence me turning to visa journey. Sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way with my follow up questions.

Edited by T-Mo

Timeline

this...

It may even be misconstrued as fraud. Because you try to enter the US under a VISA which does not apply.

Definitely not trying to go down that road... just trying to do something for her family as well. Hopefully a party before we come to the states is sufficient. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

What is acceptable is a farewell party in home country then you marry in the USA ( court wedding will do ) then you can return to home country after AOS or with AP and have as big of a wedding as you wish. You may find that officials won't do an unofficial wedding.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.