Estelle1978

Use an attorney if possible

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello

I am new to the forum but just wanted to give some advice to people applying for their K 1 visa,I am at the medical stage of my application but getting to this point has been a long battle due to my fiance and I doing the application ourselves to cut down on costs but that was a mistake,they make the process look kinda straight forward but it is not lots of red tape form filling and evidence to deal with and if you mess up even slightly they will deny the petition,this is what happened to us so we had to refile after waiting 6 months just to be told the petition wasn't accepted because of a missing signed document,when we refiled we decided that the risk of getting denied again wasn't worth it so we have paid for a very experienced immigration attorney who has handled everything from the start,we re filed in Jan this year and our petition got accepted within a month,big difference to the initial 6 month wait doing it ourselves and i already have my medical on Friday,the whole process up until this point has be so much easier and faster just by spending the money on an attorney so I would suggest anyone wanting to do it DIY don't,spend out the money if you are in the position to do so less stress

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Sorry you could not handle it yourself.

Most here do it without much trouble.

If you are not good at reading instructions and filling in paperwork then best to get some help.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

Hello

I am new to the forum but just wanted to give some advice to people applying for their K 1 visa,I am at the medical stage of my application but getting to this point has been a long battle due to my fiance and I doing the application ourselves to cut down on costs but that was a mistake,they make the process look kinda straight forward but it is not lots of red tape form filling and evidence to deal with and if you mess up even slightly they will deny the petition,this is what happened to us so we had to refile after waiting 6 months just to be told the petition wasn't accepted because of a missing signed document,when we refiled we decided that the risk of getting denied again wasn't worth it so we have paid for a very experienced immigration attorney who has handled everything from the start,we re filed in Jan this year and our petition got accepted within a month,big difference to the initial 6 month wait doing it ourselves and i already have my medical on Friday,the whole process up until this point has be so much easier and faster just by spending the money on an attorney so I would suggest anyone wanting to do it DIY don't,spend out the money if you are in the position to do so less stress

May I know what was the document you didn't sign.

event.png

Petition received------------------- 12.22.2014

Electronic NOA1 rec. (SRC)-------- 12.24.2014

Electronic NOA2 ----------------------7/20/2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

The affidavit of intent to marry

If you do not include a letter of intent to marry you always get a RFE(Request for Evidence). I am surprised with that. Maybe you did not respond to their RFE and that why you got denied. I am glad that you got approved now. Wish you luck with the med. exams.

event.png

Petition received------------------- 12.22.2014

Electronic NOA1 rec. (SRC)-------- 12.24.2014

Electronic NOA2 ----------------------7/20/2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My fiancé and I did all by ourselves with big helps from visa journey. I am in USA now 5 months after filing I -129F. Patience was our base weapon. And we learned a lot ( still learning ) !

You're lucky OP for having a very competent lawyer. Good luck on your journey!

Filling out all the paper work, collecting the documents, and assembling the package is challenging. This does require a higher level of organization and competency than some people have.

Everyone makes the right choice for their situation. I am glad you found what worked best for you.

Failing to include a signed letter of intent to marry for both parties results in a RFE. Submitting evidence of intent to marry at that stage, for both petitioner and beneficary, typically results in an approval.

I have never seen a petition denial on here for that - but that doesn't mean they don't happen in rare cases.

But something is fishy with your case - maybe USCIS just screwed up your paperwork.

K1 time line

I-129F sent: 12/23/2014
NOA-1: 12/29/2014
NOA-2: 06/05/2015 (158 days)
NOA-2 hardcopy: 06/11/2015 (6 days post NOA-2, 164 days total)
Sent to NVC: 06/16/2015 (11 days post NOA-2, 169 days total)
NVC receive: 06/25/2015 (20 days post NOA-2, 178 days total)
NVC case no: 06/30/2015 (25 days post NOA-2, 183 days total)
NVC left: 07/02/2015 (27 days post NOA-2, 185 days total)
Case Ready: 07/07/2015 (32 days post NOA-2, 190 days total)
submitted DS-160, paid visa fee.: 07/21/2015 (46 days post NOA-2, 204 days total)
Packet 3 sent: 07/25/2015 (50 days post NOA-2, 209 days total)
Pack 4 received: 07/30/2015 (55 days post NOA-2, 214 days total)
Medical: 09/17/2015 Interview: 09/23/2015 (108 days post NOA-2, 268 days total)
Interview Result: Approved Administrative Processing: 09/23/2015
CEAC Status Issued: 09/24/2015
Visa in hand: 09/28/2015
POE: 12/29/2015 Wedding: 01/11/2016

AOS Time Line

AOS package mailed: 01/13/2016
AOS package received: 01/20/2016 (day 1)
AOS NOA-1 text/email: 01/23/2016 (day 3), actual NOA-1 date 01/22/2016 (day 2)
AOS Fingerprint fee received: 01/22/2016 (day 2)
AOS check cashed: 01-25-2016 (day 5) Got 6 month NJ driver's license: 01-25-2016
3x NOA-1 hardcopies: 02/03/2016 (day 14)

Biometrics letter: 02/05/2016 (day 16) Biometrics appt (Elizabeth, NJ): 02/17/2016 (day 28)

EAD and AP approved email/txt: 03/29/2016 (day 67)

GC approval email/text: 04/04/2016 (day 74)

I-797 for I-765/I-131 in mail: 04/04/2016 (day 74)

EAD/AP delivered: 04/05/216 (day 75)

GC card being mailed status update: 04/07/16 (day 77)

GC received: 04/11/16 (day 84 post AOS NOA-1)

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 21 MONTHS!

ROC Window opens: 01/04/2018

ROC Time Line
ROC package mailed to Vermont 01/04/2018
ROC package received at Vermont 01/08/2018 (day 0)
Check cashed: 01/16/2018 (day 8 )
NOA-1 date: 01/09/2018 (day 1)
NOA-1 received: 01/16/2018 (day 8 )
Biometrics notice received: 02/09/2018 (day 32)
Biometrics appointment: 02/23/2018 (day 46)
Received 18-month extension letter: 08/13/2018 (day 209)
ROC Approved: 03/09/2019 (day 425)
Card Received: 03/16/2019  (day 432)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello

Thank you for advice to others Estelle.....although most people don't find much of a problem with filing some people do. My husband and I used a Lawyer only because we were both extremely nervous about the whole process and he was like our security blanket. It did pay off for us to use him, our process went very quickly to both our surprise and that of our friends that filed at the same time as us. When we went for our interview the Officer started looking through our paperwork and noticed our Lawyers name and made the remark "well there is no need for me to check all this he is always spot on with his paperwork" so sometimes yes it is a great advantage to have a well known and respected Lawyer handling things for you. I have to admit though, after actually seeing all the paperwork and now looking at this site, I think I could have handled it all myself but at the time it was nice having someone hold our hand too. Good luck with your Journey :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If all you wanted was for someone to fill out your forms and double check your work, you could have saved yourself a boatload of money with a visa service like www.easyfiancevisa.com . They are like 1/3 the cost of a lawyer and did exactly what your lawyer probably charged you $3000 or more for.

For us, we went with a visa service because we both had very busy lives and little time to commit to doing the process correct and with peace of mind. So the money was well spent in that regard. However, now that we have more time, (now that she is here), we are doing the ROC and Naturalization ourselves with the help of VJ. :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.