10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi Guys i'm new and i hope ya'll can help me out a little bit

i'm putting my AOS package together and i'm confuse as to what to send in as proof of our marriage,Any one can let me know what they sent i'll appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance

Hi Guys i'm new and i hope ya'll can help me out a little bit

i'm putting my AOS package together and i'm confuse as to what to send in as proof of our marriage,Any one can let me know what they sent i'll appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance

A certified copy of your marriage certificate is the official proof of your marriage. Send this along with the AOS package.

What are you adjusting from?

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Bank statements showing joint accounts. Insurance stuff showing both your names (one as beneficiary). Joint lease, joint loans, bills with both your names on them, all of these are proofs you should send if you have them. Like, if you took out a loan together (say, for a car, or mortgage for a house), show them copies of the documents. Or if you have a phone family plan. Literally, everything you can collect with both your names on it!

Pictures of you together, affidavits from family/friends are good too, but secondary.

Basically, what they want is a proof of a bonafide (good-faith) marriage. The marriage certificate is the official document, sure, but not nearly enough for USCIS. You have to prove to them that you didn't just get married for the green-card.

Bank statements showing joint accounts. Insurance stuff showing both your names (one as beneficiary). Joint lease, joint loans, bills with both your names on them, all of these are proofs you should send if you have them. Like, if you took out a loan together (say, for a car, or mortgage for a house), show them copies of the documents. Or if you have a phone family plan. Literally, everything you can collect with both your names on it!

Pictures of you together, affidavits from family/friends are good too, but secondary.

Basically, what they want is a proof of a bonafide (good-faith) marriage. The marriage certificate is the official document, sure, but not nearly enough for USCIS. You have to prove to them that you didn't just get married for the green-card.

What if we don't have a joint bank account, nor joint health insurance?

we have both our names only on the lease, all the bills are split between us but, of course, they come to the same address. Would that be a big deal for USCIS?

We've been living together for 3 years and married for 1, so there are tons of photos.

thank you

07.2012: First met my future husband
01.08.2012: Started dating
04.22.2014: Marriage

02.12.2016: Sent AOS/EAD package

02.16.2016: Priority date on NOA1

02.22.2016: NOA1 Texts/emails received

02.26.2016: hard copies of NOA1 in the mail

03.07.2016 walk-in Biometrics (scheduled for 3/15/2016)

03.21.2016 RFE for I-485

05.19.2016 Second RFE for I-485

07.15.2016 EAD approval notice

MYE7m6.png

305fm6.png

we have both our names only on the lease, all the bills are split between us but, of course, they come to the same address. Would that be a big deal for USCIS?

We've been living together for 3 years and married for 1, so there are tons of photos.

thank you

Bonafide marriage needs alot in normal life, which is common with married couple. You need banking activities, insurances, auto insurances... USCIS is reasonable if you are newly wedded, but you have been together for a while. No joint activities will raise doubts. Photos are not considered primary evidence.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Beneficiary on life insurance policy? Proof of traveling together (airline tickets/bus tickets/passport stamps)? Proof from each bank account of $ consistently going to joint expenses? Both names on auto insurance?

I agree with NancyNguyen that they will expect to see some joint mingling since you've been together for awhile. Ultimately, you have to send anything and everything you can think about. You can show that your relationship is genuine during your AOS interview.

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

thank you

It makes sense not to have joint health insurance if you're both working decent jobs. It's usually cheaper to get each individually through your workplace. The other stuff though? I get life insurance from work too, I have my husband as a beneficiary. And the joint account just makes things easy, whenever one of us wants something or we have to pay bills.

Each case is different and it will be up to USCIS to determine if what you have is sufficient.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.