Kaptan

Vaccines and breastfeeding

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi,

Our move to the U.S. is now only around 2.5 months away. Got my vaccinations and my daughter's complete (well, she will need one more round until then I think), but my wife was not able to do some of hers because she is breastfeeding our daughter and the clinic said it would not be recommended. I was wondering if this might be a problem while entering the U.S.?

The clinic did write "Breastfeeding" on my wife's form, presumably for the border officials to read when we enter - I suppose this must be fairly common? I would also imagine that since thousands of tourists enter the U.S. every day without showing vaccination evidence it must not be a huge deal, but maybe that's a different scenario because tourists would typically not be staying for more than six months. Just wanted to find out if anyone had more detailed info on this topic.

Thanks.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Vaccinations may be waived if the doctor has a medical reason to do so, as in your wife's case. It's possible that she may be required to get the missed vaccinations done once in the US and finished breastfeeding. Is there any annotation on your wife's visa?

Timeline

Hi,

Not sure which vaccines but the nurses at the clinic clearly said one (or maybe two?) of them were not recommended for breastfeeding moms. I will find out more from my wife tomorrow.

According to the link from the first respondent above, it looks like Form I-693 is the place where there would be an annotation by the physician. Which form is this? Is it the one in the sealed envelope? If that's the case, we would not know whether there is an annotation or not - unless we asked the clinic I suppose.

Hi,

Not sure which vaccines but the nurses at the clinic clearly said one (or maybe two?) of them were not recommended for breastfeeding moms. I will find out more from my wife tomorrow.

According to the link from the first respondent above, it looks like Form I-693 is the place where there would be an annotation by the physician. Which form is this? Is it the one in the sealed envelope? If that's the case, we would not know whether there is an annotation or not - unless we asked the clinic I suppose.

I meant on the visa. There is some standard notation if a medical follow up is needed after entry - is there any difference other than the obvious between your wife's visa and yours?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Im a nurse. And most vaccines are actually recommended to pregnant women because the benefits outweigh the risks... However MMR is contraindicated. The reasoning is that the MMR (Measles,Mumps,Rubella) contains a live-attenuated virus. And while it is a theoretical risk, it is still advised against.

If your doctor advises against immunizations, there might be a reason for that. Just follow what your doctor recommends. As far as your medical appointment, I cannot comment but it sounds like other people received a similar response and there was no problems if a doctor advises against it.

Source: Center for Disease Control

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/preg-guide.htm

Edited by Karmalious

PETITION I-130

1/2/2015 - Petition sent to Phoenix Lockbox

1/6/2015 - NOA #1 Receipt

7/1/2015 - NOA #2 Approved

7/10/2015 - Email from Nebraska stating sent the case to NVC

NVC

7/16/15 - Case Received by NVC

7/30/15 - Case number assigned

8/3/15 - DS-261 Agent available

8/4/15 - DS-261 Agent completed

8/4/15 - AOS fee available & paid

8/6/15 - Check cleared the bank & bar-code cover sheet now available

8/13/15 - AOS Packet & IV Packet sent to NVC by priority mail

8/15/15 - IV fee available & paid same day

8/17/15 - NVC received package

8/19/15 - Check cleared the bank & DS-260 available & DS-260 completed!!! ALSO, we received email notification from NVC that they received package on 8/17

- Case completed at NVC

- Case sent to Embassy on this date

EMBASSY

- Embassy received packet

- Wife received Packet 3/4 Instructions

- Medical appointment

- Interview

Point of Entry

- Enter Austin, Texas

Timeline

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, the one we were told to avoid was MMR, and my wife says chickenpox was also advised against by the clinic so she has not take that either.

I checked our visas, all three of us have annotation 212(g)(2)(B). Based on a quick online search, this seems to indicate the applicants do not have all the necessary vaccinations as of the date of the visa. Not sure if my wife's missed vaccinations due to the breastfeeding is the cause for this code on all our visas, but the more likely reason must be the fact that all three of us were missing some vaccinations as of that date (I have completed mine since, and my daughter is currently on track).

There are additional sheets the clinic gave us where they mark new doses of the vaccinations my daughter and I have taken, and on my wife's sheet it says "breastfeeding." I suppose the sealed envelopes (snapshot in time indicating the medical situation and the vaccines we had taken as of that date) plus the unsealed sheets with the most current vaccines records should together show the border officials that we have all the vaccinations we need with the exception of my wife's that are related to breastfeeding counterindications (assuming she would still be breastfeeding at that time), as recommended by the clinic.

Jakartadream, thanks, I do feel more confident about our upcoming trip now, after reading your comment.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.