micahdw

So lost on this process!

19 posts in this topic

So my fiance and I are expecting a baby at the begining of December and we both really want him here for the birth. We met a little over a year ago when I studied abroad in his country and then I went back earlier this year to visit. What documents other than photos with dates should I use to verify the relationship? Also, am I required to have enough money in the bank to support him until he gets a greencard and employment? And do any of you have suggestions that will make the process go as smooth as possible? And are there parts of the process that I haven't mentioned that I should know about? I know we are pushing it by trying to get him here in 7 months and that it's highly likely he won't be at the birth, but I want to do everything I can to prevent any delays and I want to send the information off by next week.

Edited by micahdw

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Suggest taking a deep breath and reading the guides.

He can always visit for the birth.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It's crucial for us to know his country. Some of the U.S. consulates grant visas readily, and others don't at all. You might need to "front-load" your petition package with additional evidence of your bona fide relationship -- a little, or a lot.

He might not be able to visit for the birth, again depending on his country.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

As TboneTX correctly states again. Some foreign countries qualify for a visa-waiver program ( They dont need a visa).

Some countries, like Colombia do not! It wiill required some type of VISA

A) Tourist Visa - Read up on this, VERY VERY IMPORTANT to prove that you have strong home ties to the foreign country. Soo many posts are of people being denied because they did not provide enough proof that they were going back home ( instead of trying to stay in the US and immigrate this way, which by the way is illegal )

B) Spousal/Fiancee - Read up on this

EITHER WAY: applying for a visa is unlikely to be complete prior to 7 months. HOWEVER, some people do get lucky and receive super fast approvals. You wont know until you actually start the process.

I definitely recommend reading the USCIS guidelines and also reading the brief guide here on VisaJourney. I studied both documents extensively and suggest anyone interested in immigrating to become an expert on this process so you dont miss anything.

PETITION I-130

1/2/2015 - Petition sent to Phoenix Lockbox

1/6/2015 - NOA #1 Receipt

7/1/2015 - NOA #2 Approved

7/10/2015 - Email from Nebraska stating sent the case to NVC

NVC

7/16/15 - Case Received by NVC

7/30/15 - Case number assigned

8/3/15 - DS-261 Agent available

8/4/15 - DS-261 Agent completed

8/4/15 - AOS fee available & paid

8/6/15 - Check cleared the bank & bar-code cover sheet now available

8/13/15 - AOS Packet & IV Packet sent to NVC by priority mail

8/15/15 - IV fee available & paid same day

8/17/15 - NVC received package

8/19/15 - Check cleared the bank & DS-260 available & DS-260 completed!!! ALSO, we received email notification from NVC that they received package on 8/17

- Case completed at NVC

- Case sent to Embassy on this date

EMBASSY

- Embassy received packet

- Wife received Packet 3/4 Instructions

- Medical appointment

- Interview

Point of Entry

- Enter Austin, Texas

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

[Moderator hat on]

An off-topic post has been removed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

As time-consuming as the process is and so on, you're not the first with such issues. This is the only real forum around that has already answered your questions. Use the existing forums, guides, and so on to answer your questions about the process. It's already there, so follow it closely. You're looking at a year or so before you have a visa. I seriously doubt that you have the necessary documents available now that will allow you to send it all of "next week." I did the same thing. I told my wife I wanted to have things ready to go by the end of next week and it took 9 weeks before I had everything in hand and ready to mail off to the USCIS. You've provided no information about where he is from. I assume you are a native-born American citizen now living in the U.S. without the father of your child? What country is he from? As much as you want or don't want it, it's not gonna happen in a week I'm sure and the whole process will take a year at best. Your entire post has been answered.

How would you know if they do or don't have their docs and evidence? And why are you being so rude? If she understood everything she wouldn't be asking in the first place..SMH

OP if you could provide more details about where he is from and what you do and don't have for documentation so far we would be able to answer you with accuracy. Read and study the guides at the top of the page. They are very detailed and accurate. If you have more question feel free to ask. Don't let people like the one above scare you from asking what you want, when you want. The process is daunting and at times confusing, but there are many well informed members of VJ who really know what they're talking about who are more willing to help. Congrats on the baby and good luck. As Boiler said, take a deep breath. :)

He is in Ghana. So visiting isn't that simple. I spoke briefly with an immigration attorney and she said that if he applies for a visitor's visa and the reason is to see his child born, it will most likely be seen as immigrant intent and will be denied. And I really do not want him to lie about his reason for coming on a visitors visa because I'm sure that could have negative repercussions in the future when we do the fiancé visa. But thank you guys so much for your help. Can I ask why it took so long to get the documents prepared to send?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If I was in this sitiuation I would have her get a tourist Visa and come to the US around the fourth month and have her stay six months. Have the baby here while waiting for the K-1 visa to come through. We call it an "anchor baby". Then with papers in hand as a USC for the baby you will only have to wait for the K-1 to come through. Many women have done that in the past.....Just a suggestion.

I also have phone logs of calls between us, Facebook messages, and Skype logs. I understand the Facebook and Skype stuff is considered secondary. I'm goin to look at what you guys are all saying and I'll come back to the thread if I have anymore questions.

I also have phone logs of calls between us, Facebook messages, and Skype logs. I understand the Facebook and Skype stuff is considered secondary. I'm goin to look at what you guys are all saying and I'll come back to the thread if I have anymore questions.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He is in Ghana. So visiting isn't that simple. I spoke briefly with an immigration attorney and she said that if he applies for a visitor's visa and the reason is to see his child born, it will most likely be seen as immigrant intent and will be denied. And I really do not want him to lie about his reason for coming on a visitors visa because I'm sure that could have negative repercussions in the future when we do the fiancé visa. But thank you guys so much for your help. Can I ask why it took so long to get the documents prepared to send?

Well unless his situation is very unusual then a visitor visa is not going to happen.

Ghana seemingly is just behind Nigeria, many prefer to go the CR1 route having married.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

You haven't listed any primary evidence for having met. Boarding pass and passport stamps? Also, there are documents you need from him before filing, a letter of intent (one from each of you) with original signatures, etc. As others have suggested, read the guides.

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

You haven't listed any primary evidence for having met. Boarding pass and passport stamps? Also, there are documents you need from him before filing, a letter of intent (one from each of you) with original signatures, etc. As others have suggested, read the guides.

Did you miss the part where I said we have photos? from a different thread I read, the users said that a passport with the visa stamps from my previous trips, along with copies of the plane tickets and or receipts are primary evidence that I was in the country. And the photos with dates confirm we did see each other during these time frames. Please give examples of what primary evidence is if you're going to talk down on what I thought was it.

Did you miss the part where I said we have photos? from a different thread I read, the users said that a passport with the visa stamps from my previous trips, along with copies of the plane tickets and or receipts are primary evidence that I was in the country. And the photos with dates confirm we did see each other during these time frames. Please give examples of what primary evidence is if you're going to talk down on what I thought was it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I did miss that you said passport stamps, I only kept reading photos and plane tickets. You need not plane tickets but the actual boarding pass as primary evidence. If you only have an itinerary or ticket it does not mean you ever flew. The photos are useless without primary evidence that you were there within the 2 year timeframe, but passport stamps will work (hopefully they are clear). We also did not need to front load as much as you probably would want to. Spain is much easier than Ghana.

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.