Helena91

Grasping at straws, where do i start?

26 posts in this topic

We started the process at the end of May 2015 from Australia.husband received his visa in his passport at the end of April 2015. He had his interview April 21 and was approved and he received the passport less than 5 days later. He can travel here now, we are waiting on a house to sell in Australia.

As for Domicile, I had quotes of moving stuff to the USA (including a pet which the deposit was paid for), a letter from family that we could stay with them, and conversation with real estate regarding how to rent a place in USA and about selling our house in Australia. I also have a bank account with Bank of America. I had no problems with Domicile.

As for supporting and sponsoring my husband, we had nearly $180,000 in assets, but they said that a joint sponsor would hold more ground as they would be settled in the USA with a job. We showed our assets and also had a joint sponsor making about $5,000 over what was required. Again, no issues at all.

Now that hubby has his visa, he has 6 months from issue date to get to the USA. That's fine.

As for how long, definitely start now. We started in May 2015. I delayed at NVC stage for 2 months (didn't send in paperwork after our I-130 was accepted), and then we received a Checklist for filling out a form wrong and I again delayed for 2 months. We could have been finished in January at the latest. I know two other couples who have also taken around 8-10 months to finish in the past year from Australia. Go ahead and get the ball rolling and good luck. Remember, one step at a time.

Edited by lirpa11

IR1 - Spouse VisaPetition I-130

Posted from Australia 05/24/2014

Email receipt received 06/09/2014

Paid from Bank 06/09/2014

Approved online update on case status 06/20/2014

Received NOA1 in the post 06/22/2014

NOA2 received in post 07/10/2014

NVC

Email from NVC 8/7/2014

AoS ready for paymentDS-261 submitted 8/8/2014

AoS Fee Paid 8/12/2014

AoS and IV scan date 10/25/2014

Checklist: 12/18/2014

Posted updated packet for checklist on 2/25/2015

Received by NVC 3/2/2015

Case Complete: 3/2/2015

Interview: 4/21/2015

Approved: 4/21/2014

POE: 6/2/2015<p>

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

We started the process at the end of May 2015 from Australia.husband received his visa in his passport at the end of April 2015. He had his interview April 21 and was approved and he received the passport less than 5 days later. He can travel here now, we are waiting on a house to sell in Australia.

As for Domicile, I had quotes of moving stuff to the USA (including a pet which the deposit was paid for), a letter from family that we could stay with them, and conversation with real estate regarding how to rent a place in USA and about selling our house in Australia. I also have a bank account with Bank of America. I had no problems with Domicile.

As for supporting and sponsoring my husband, we had nearly $180,000 in assets, but they said that a joint sponsor would hold more ground as they would be settled in the USA with a job. We showed our assets and also had a joint sponsor making about $5,000 over what was required. Again, no issues at all.

Now that hubby has his visa, he has 6 months from issue date to get to the USA. That's fine.

As for how long, definitely start now. We started in May 2015. I delayed at NVC stage for 2 months (didn't send in paperwork after our I-130 was accepted), and then we received a Checklist for filling out a form wrong and I again delayed for 2 months. We could have been finished in January at the latest. I know two other couples who have also taken around 8-10 months to finish in the past year from Australia. Go ahead and get the ball rolling and good luck. Remember, one step at a time.

Thank you, your reply has been extremely informative. We're basically waiting for my husband to get a procedure done on his back through medicare, since health insurance is so expensive in the US. As soon as we can get a date for that, we'll have a much better idea of our time frame. How long is it possible to stall with the NVC, do you know? It will be a minimum of a year until we are ready to move back, more likely a year and a half. I would hate for the process to go faster than we anticipate and for something to expire if we can't get to the country fast enough and have to start all over again.

Thank you, your reply has been extremely informative. We're basically waiting for my husband to get a procedure done on his back through medicare, since health insurance is so expensive in the US. As soon as we can get a date for that, we'll have a much better idea of our time frame. How long is it possible to stall with the NVC, do you know? It will be a minimum of a year until we are ready to move back, more likely a year and a half. I would hate for the process to go faster than we anticipate and for something to expire if we can't get to the country fast enough and have to start all over again.

Someone correct me if wrong, but I think you can delay but you have to contact them at least once every 12 months. If you go ahead and get finished with the USCIS stage, just take your time starting the next process until you are ready. You could get through the petition now, and then start with NVC after you get the medical procedure date.

Hubby and I went through IVF in Australia as the government provides a rebate. We are now expecting a baby so know all about the medical procedures! It would have cost much more here in the USA.

It's terrible living apart from hubby, but we just have the house to sell in Australia and his tickets will be purchased so any day now!

IR1 - Spouse VisaPetition I-130

Posted from Australia 05/24/2014

Email receipt received 06/09/2014

Paid from Bank 06/09/2014

Approved online update on case status 06/20/2014

Received NOA1 in the post 06/22/2014

NOA2 received in post 07/10/2014

NVC

Email from NVC 8/7/2014

AoS ready for paymentDS-261 submitted 8/8/2014

AoS Fee Paid 8/12/2014

AoS and IV scan date 10/25/2014

Checklist: 12/18/2014

Posted updated packet for checklist on 2/25/2015

Received by NVC 3/2/2015

Case Complete: 3/2/2015

Interview: 4/21/2015

Approved: 4/21/2014

POE: 6/2/2015<p>

A year between each contact yes. You can probably successfully stall for 3 - 4 years.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

A year between each contact yes. You can probably successfully stall for 3 - 4 years.

Wow, that's a massively long amount of time. Alright, as soon as we get a date for his surgery, We'll get straight to filing the I-130.

Timeline

Don't wait, do it now.

Sorry to keep asking questions, we are visiting WI June 23-July 14. Would it be in our best interests to wait until we get back from that? I would hate for it to accidentally look like we're trying commit visa fraud by bringing him in on a travel visa while we're waiting for the I-130 to get back. Or a better question, are there travel restrictions to the US while the I-130 is being decided?

There are no travel restrictions. He is from a VWP country and visiting the USA during the process is perfectly okay. Bring some proof of his ties to Australia every time you visit 'just in case' (things like a copy of lease or mortgage, proof of returning to a job, pack appropriately for the length of trip, return ticket etc...) but most people have no issues whatsoever.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

BTW at customs you'll want to be truthful and concise. Some people have a tendency to get nervous and ramble, but you don't need to inform them that you're going through the visa process unless asked.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.