musze007

N426, biometrics, military, no appointment (Varick NY vs. Elizabeth NJ)

1 post in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am in the military.

This is a short post to share my experience at the USCIS Varick Street (New York) location in comparison to my horrible experience at the Elizabeth NJ USCIS location.

I have not filed, but will be fliing N426 and N400 after I ship out to basic training (United States Air Force).

The location of the USCIS office in New York is 201 Varick Street, suite 1023 (West Houston Street Entrance), New York, NY 10014.

My experience was a positive one. I entered the building and security asked me for my appointment and identification. I told security that I did not have an appointment but I am in the military. They asked for my military identification and immediately they processed me through security and sent me to the 10th floor. The documents that I had with me were my state issued identification, my military identification, and my green card.

When i arrived on the tenth floor i was asked for my appointment letter and identification at the door entrance to room 1023. I again stated that i had no appointment but i had a military ID. I was sent to the next person to begin my processing. Then i was asked for my military ID, and regular ID, and then told i need to speak with an officer. Within a minute an officer came out and asked me to follow him into his office. He was extremely courteous, professional and all around nice guy. He gave me a handout with practice questions for the naturalization test. He then gave me a sheet of paper that had a number that I should call just for military personnel who have USCIS questions. Apparently i did not know there was separate number for military personnel. I filled out a one page document and was then brought back out to be fingerprinted. I probably spent about 7 minutes in the office.

The entire process was quick, maybe 30 minutes to 45 minutes only because there was a bit of a wait before i had my fingerprints taken. But i am not complaining at all, just stating my experience.

Elizabeth NJ was not a good experience. I went to Elizabeth NJ to try and get my biometrics done and they are clueless as to what having a military ID means. I had to wait on line, just to ask a question, then i had to wait on another line, just to ask the same question to a manager, meanwhile everyone is clueless as to why i do not have an appointment and wondering why i am mentioning to them that i have a military ID and don't need an appointment. it was a painful experience. After 20 minutes in Elizabeth i just walked out, i couldn't take the stupidity, arrogance, and ignorance. And the place was super crowded, i mean lines out the building crowded.

*As a note: From my observation if you do not have an appointment they will not process you at the Varick Street location. There was a gentleman who came in after me and they told him he needed an appointment. I was an exception because of my military affiliation. I do not know what the rules are at this location but im pretty sure you need an appointment unless you meet certain criteria. I think if you come early for an appointment you should be fine.

Thank you to this website

Edited by musze007

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.