LornaJane

Vaccinations right before Medical Exam?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello!

I'm sure this question has been answered somewhere on the site in the past but i can't seem to find the appropriate answer.

I have my medical exam at the end of the month with Dr. Mascarenhas in Toronto. I'm currently out of the country in the U.S. and have asked my mother to locate my vaccination records..which she cannot find, of course. Our doctor doesn't have the records because we've switched so many times. Anyway, long story short, I don't have my records.

I have to show that I had MMR, Td/TdAP, and chickenpox done. I've had the chickenpox before so I'm not worried about that but will have to get MMR and Td vaccines, or the blood titer test to show immunity. Either way, I will have to get the vaccinations or the blood test done in the U.S. since I won't be in Canada again until close to my medical exam (i know - $$).

My question is... has anyone ever had to get the vaccination shots a few weeks before your medical exam? Or the blood titer test? Will the doctor be weary of the shots being given so close to the medical exam?

thanks!

It shouldn't matter at all. If you don't have them before the medical, you'll simply be given them at the medical (and have to pay). All they care about is if the vaccines are current, not when you got them. :)

Edited by TwoChickies

~12-25-2006: met online (a blog site)
05-01-2013: FINALLY MET IN PERSON! in Canada
05-04-2013: finally became a couple
06-14-2014: got engaged
08-08-2014: got married in Canada
09-18-2014: sent I-130 via UPS, 142 pages in total
09-19-2014: I-130 arrived and signed for
09-24-2014: NOA1 text & hard copy received same day, Vermont Service Center
11-20-2014: NOA2 (I-130 approval!) hard copy received, 57 days from NOA1

12-08-2014: NVC received case
01-14-2015: case number and IIN number received via email
01-14-2015: DS-261 submitted
01-14-2015: AOS fee paid
01-22-2015: IV fee paid
01-24-2015: DS-260 submitted
01-25-2015: AOS and IV documents submitted electronically
02-18-2015: petitioner's proof of US domicile submitted electronically
02-25-2015: email confirmation received (31 days after sending!), scan date of 01-26-2015 <--60 day wait starts
03-24-2015: email confirmation received (34 days after sending!), scan date of 02-18-2015 <--60 day wait starts (a 2nd time)
03-31-2015: case completed at NVC! 2/18 documents got reviewed with the 1/26 ones, 64 days from original scan date

04-07-2015: case complete email received
04-22-2015: interview date email received
05-13-2015: medical in Montreal

05-19-2015: picked up medical results
05-20-2015: interview in Montreal --- APPROVED!, 238 days from NOA1

05-25-2015: passport/visa received!

05-30-2015: POE, Calais/St Stephen land crossing, 248 days from NOA1

06-03-2015: paid ELIS fee

06-10-2015: SSN received

07-02-2015: green card received!

03-13-2017: sent I-751 via USPS to Vermont Service Center, 156 pages in total 
03-14-2017: I-751 arrived and signed for

03-23-2017: NOA1 received, dated 03-16-2017

04-07-2017: biometrics appointment letter received 
04-18-2017: biometrics appointment 

02-05-2018: I-751 approval received!, dated 02-01-2018

Timeline

It shouldn't matter at all. If you don't have them before the medical, you'll simply be given them at the medical (and have to pay). All they care about is if the vaccines are current, not when you got them. :)

thanks! I assumed that :) I know that the mmr and tdap are a 2 series shot - i have less than the recommended 4 weeks to get the second shot in so I hope that one shot is proof enough! now i just need to figure out how much it's going to cost to have them done while i'm down here in America. scary! :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I went for a titer test and all the results weren't in before my medical. I did have the Tdap shot at my regular GP's office about a week before my medical. I didn't have the Measels IGG and the Rubella results, and the doctors office offered to give me the shot there for $45.00 or I could wait and see if the rest of the results came in the following week, and then have my results couriered to me (at my cost of course). I opted to wait and follow up with the labs (what a mistake). After 3 days of calls back and forth with my GP's office, the lab that drew the blood and the Provincial labs and the immigration doctor's office, I was so furious I could scream. Seems each blamed the other for the tests not being done or crossed of the requisition. I said screw it and just went and got the MMR shot. That cost me 72 dollars! But it was worth it to know my immunizations were current. I emailed the proof of vaccination to the immigration doctor's office and they couriered my medical exam results to me. I only needed the one MMR shot, no notification that I need a second one

Timeline

I went for a titer test and all the results weren't in before my medical. I did have the Tdap shot at my regular GP's office about a week before my medical. I didn't have the Measels IGG and the Rubella results, and the doctors office offered to give me the shot there for $45.00 or I could wait and see if the rest of the results came in the following week, and then have my results couriered to me (at my cost of course). I opted to wait and follow up with the labs (what a mistake). After 3 days of calls back and forth with my GP's office, the lab that drew the blood and the Provincial labs and the immigration doctor's office, I was so furious I could scream. Seems each blamed the other for the tests not being done or crossed of the requisition. I said screw it and just went and got the MMR shot. That cost me 72 dollars! But it was worth it to know my immunizations were current. I emailed the proof of vaccination to the immigration doctor's office and they couriered my medical exam results to me. I only needed the one MMR shot, no notification that I need a second one

I was thinking about getting the titer test but have heard too many horror stories about the wait time for results! The $72 for MMR shot is worth the peace of mind. Thanks for sharing your situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You could always try the Health Unit, or your last school for your records.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Health units are more likely to have your records unless you're over 30. I've never had a physician give me a vaccination.

My mmr and tdap were free at my health unit in Canada because I a) needed them and b) many people my age only received one MMR and aren't fully covered.

Chicken pox can be a verbal declaration if you've had it.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Someone said that you can just get vaccines at the medical exam. I just want to point out that Dr. Mascarenhas does not do this. It's indicated right on their website. www.visadoctor.ca. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case that was your plan.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hey guys my medical exam is on Jun 29th. This week am planning to walk into my family doctor and get MMR vaccine done. I already have for Tetanus.

Question is: Is it possible to do it same day as I walk in and get all my vaccine and medical records from my doc?

I called and asked them but waiting for a call back.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.