Chaseme

question for FILIPINO's about LAst name change

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Not yet but hopefully soon after my interview this June. ;) Wish me luck am a little nervous though ;)

wow, God bless! I know you can do it, we've been thru a lot already from visa processing until we get here, so don't worry I know that you will also be able to make it during interview. :) ajah!

BTW, did you still submit the I-693 form together with your vaccination document from SLEC?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello. I was wondering about this and i would be psyched if i could follow the us way of changing your surname instead of ph where your maiden last name becomes your new middle name. If i do this what issues will i be facing aside from NSO documents?

The problem with not following the traditional format comes to bite you when you go to renew your passport in your married name, the consulate wants the traditional format.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

wow, God bless! I know you can do it, we've been thru a lot already from visa processing until we get here, so don't worry I know that you will also be able to make it during interview. :) ajah!

BTW, did you still submit the I-693 form together with your vaccination document from SLEC?

Thanks Chaseme :) You too for sure just stay as optimistic as possible ;) yes I did submitted my I-693 form together with the vaccination worksheet document from St. Luke's :)

710-23-2014 - K1 interview (Phils): Approved
10-31-2014 - K1 Visa received
01-20-2015 - POE
02-20-2015 - Marriage
03-20-2015 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Submission (day 0) ** date I submitted ***
03-24-2015 - NOA1 received (day 4)
03-27-2015 - NOA1 hard copies received (day 7)
04-06-2015 - Biometrics letter hard copy received (day 17)
04-16-2015 - Biometrics Appointment (day 27)
05-01-2015 - USCIS changed to Interview is scheduled (day 42)
05-06-2015 - Hardcopy of interview notice received ( I-797 C, NOA) (day 46)
06-02-2015- Conditional GC got approved (day 82) 
06-08-2015- Hard copy of Welcome notice received via mail (day 88)
06-10-2015- Actual GC received via mail  (day 90)
ROC
4/06/17 - Sent package (day 0)
4/7/17 -  USCIS received package (day 1) NOA date
4/14/17 - check encashed (day 😎
4/15/17 - NOA 1 received (day 9)
4/22/17 - Biometrics notice date (day 16)
4/29/17 - Biometrics notice letter received (day 23)
5/9/17 - Biometrics done (day 33)
3/19/18 - Case approved
3/23/18 - Approval letter received
4/6/18 - Actual 10-yr GC received 
N400 (under 3-year rule)
4/27/18 - filed N400 online (Friday) (day 0)
4/27/18 - paid/payment received (day 0)
4/27/18 - NOA date
5/21/18 - Biometrics done
7/25/18 - Interview letter date
8/31/18 - Scheduled interview. Got approved!
9/20/18 - Naturalization ceremony in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA

"Seasons of waiting are designed to prepare you, stretch your faith, and get you ready for everything that's coming next" - curiano quotes life

The problem with not following the traditional format comes to bite you when you go to renew your passport in your married name, the consulate wants the traditional format.

Oh wow, never thought of that. :idea::oops: Thanks Hank for reminding us, I will keep that in mind :thumbs:

710-23-2014 - K1 interview (Phils): Approved
10-31-2014 - K1 Visa received
01-20-2015 - POE
02-20-2015 - Marriage
03-20-2015 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Submission (day 0) ** date I submitted ***
03-24-2015 - NOA1 received (day 4)
03-27-2015 - NOA1 hard copies received (day 7)
04-06-2015 - Biometrics letter hard copy received (day 17)
04-16-2015 - Biometrics Appointment (day 27)
05-01-2015 - USCIS changed to Interview is scheduled (day 42)
05-06-2015 - Hardcopy of interview notice received ( I-797 C, NOA) (day 46)
06-02-2015- Conditional GC got approved (day 82) 
06-08-2015- Hard copy of Welcome notice received via mail (day 88)
06-10-2015- Actual GC received via mail  (day 90)
ROC
4/06/17 - Sent package (day 0)
4/7/17 -  USCIS received package (day 1) NOA date
4/14/17 - check encashed (day 😎
4/15/17 - NOA 1 received (day 9)
4/22/17 - Biometrics notice date (day 16)
4/29/17 - Biometrics notice letter received (day 23)
5/9/17 - Biometrics done (day 33)
3/19/18 - Case approved
3/23/18 - Approval letter received
4/6/18 - Actual 10-yr GC received 
N400 (under 3-year rule)
4/27/18 - filed N400 online (Friday) (day 0)
4/27/18 - paid/payment received (day 0)
4/27/18 - NOA date
5/21/18 - Biometrics done
7/25/18 - Interview letter date
8/31/18 - Scheduled interview. Got approved!
9/20/18 - Naturalization ceremony in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA

"Seasons of waiting are designed to prepare you, stretch your faith, and get you ready for everything that's coming next" - curiano quotes life

Timeline

Hi! This is such a good question. I just want to share my experience. just a bit of a backstory here, my fiance actually went to an immigration lawyer in CA and asked about this particular issue because he was actually the one who is going to change his last name. He went to ask when would the best time to change his last name, before or after filing the petition, before or after POE, or before or after getting married. And the same goes for me as well. Well as per lawyer's advice, best time for HIM to change his last name would be after getting married. So as not to cause any confusion with the USEM , you know how they are. :sleepy: As for my last name, I could actually retain my maiden name permanently (just attach the court order from my then husband's name change among other documents) but where's the fun in that right? hehehe or up until I personally choose to change it to my then husbands now new last name, which is actually his previous middle name, so to answer your question, I would most likely change my last name a few months after getting married, after my husband changes all his legal documents to his new last name.

Goodluck with your interview :):luv:

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

You don't wait a few months to start using your married name, if you are changing your name after marriage you start using your married name immediately.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

You don't wait a few months to start using your married name, if you are changing your name after marriage you start using your married name immediately.

Thank you! I will keep this in mind!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.