Metope

K1 approved! Do I need a new certified translation of my birth certificate when filing for AOS?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline

My K1 visa got approved last month, and I've booked my flight for July, can't wait! I'm trying to make the weeks disappear by reading up on all the procedures that are yet to come and how to deal with them, and I've gotten kind of hung up on this one thing. Reading through the checklist on this site regarding filing for AOS, it says you need to provide a copy of your birth certificate with a translation in English. I'm wondering, does this copy need to be certified, and if so, does the translation need to be as well?

I have my original birth certificate, and I also have a certified translation that I used when applying for the K1 Visa. I got my birth certificate back in the mail together with the Visa and the sealed envelope, but I have no idea what they did to my certified translation. Is the translation inside of the sealed envelope? If so, will I get it back at the port of entry, or do they keep it? Kind of hoping I'll get it back since acquiring a new certified translation is pricey here in Norway, on top of being a hassle.

Thank you in advance for helping me figure this out!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

From what I've been hearing its quite a struggle to get back anything from the sealed envelope....if possible at all. If it were me I would get my own set of originals to come to USA with. Less hassle, better safe than sorry. However, we do not have a language issue. I'm sure others will chime in as to the translation needs.

Best of Luck!

Timeline

Thank you! And yeah, that makes sense, I should probably just get a new certified translation. It's kind of a hassle to get it here too, but definitely less of a hassle than getting it from Norway after I move. Does the copy of the birth certificate need to be certified too, or is a standard photocopy sufficient? Maybe I should just get my hands on a stack of certified copies and translations, hah.

Timeline

Thanks, that's good to know. I have a scanned copy of the certified translation, so I guess I could use that. Might get a new certified translation to keep for my own records just to be on the safe side though...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.