Tamara/Junior

I paid the immigration fee late so how long will it take for the green card to arrive?

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I feel so stupid right now. I never even thought about the Immigrant Fee! I could've paid it a long time ago even before his POE! Someone just happened to mention it in conversation and I was OMG!!! I rushed and just paid it now. I never received a paper from the consulate with information about paying it. I read on the USCIS website that if it is NOT paid before POE that there will be a delay. Does anyone know how long the delay will be? I am also still waiting for the Social Security card to arrive as well. This Friday will be 2 weeks since POE. Should I go to the Social Security office and inquire about the whereabouts of the card? Or does it usually take this amount of time to arrive in the mail? Thank you in advance for your help.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Usually the social security card arrives first within a couple of weeks. Give it a few more days before you inquire. The green card can take 30 days to arrive. Keep checking the website. If after 30 days you don't see any changes call USCIS and see if they will put in a service request to find out why it's not in production. I paid the fee before my husband left Pakistan and when he didn't get his green card I called USCIS. They had a record of the payment but nothing else. After the service request he got his card in 30 days.

Well girl everyone has different issues with the USCIS let me explain to you mine........Normally on the phone they say you will receive the green card in 45 days. I paid for the green card before hubby came. I paid it in October and Hubby came in January still till this day April 30th we have no received anything. Hubby called twice to the USCIS office and they keep giving him the run around that he will receive a letter in the mail still nothing. We went to the immigrations office here in Boston on Tuesday and all they did was that they will email and file a complaint. to wait another 2 months.

So everyones situation is a little different. So hopefully you dont go through what I am going through with them.

Hi Yoly,

I'm sorry that you are having such a hard time. Yeah hopefully we won't have to go through that. I am not really in a super rush for the green card just because my husand cannot work due to his injuries. I still have time to be a little patient. But I am going to the Social Security office tomorrow to check the status of his card. Then we can possibly get him an ID card.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to General Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

You can pay the fee anytime before entry or after up to 1 year. Don't fret.

I suggest he go to the SSA and apply for a card since it didn't arrive within 2 weeks. It happens more often than not.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

You can pay the fee anytime before entry or after up to 1 year. Don't fret.

I suggest he go to the SSA and apply for a card since it didn't arrive within 2 weeks. It happens more often than not.

Someone from the SSI office told me to give it between 3 to 4 weeks since his arrival. And that if you apply for another card before that time that 2 social security numbers could be issued and then it will cause a longer delay. So....I will wait for the most until the 17th of May and after that time I will go to the SSI office again.

Someone from the SSI office told me to give it between 3 to 4 weeks since his arrival. And that if you apply for another card before that time that 2 social security numbers could be issued and then it will cause a longer delay. So....I will wait for the most until the 17th of May and after that time I will go to the SSI office again.

They lied. 2 ssns will not be issued because the computer system tells them if one has been already.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.