8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am about to file my AOS but I have just seen that we need to do a medical. Do I have to get this medical before I send off my package or can this be done closer to the interview?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I think you're better off getting the medical done before you send in the package. Makes the processing faster, I think. That's how I did mine.

But *maybe* they don't RFE you for that and just ask to see the results at the interview. I have no idea - someone who knows should answer this.

Errr, also - the I-864 is the financial sponsorship form, not the medical form. The medical is I-693.

Edited by GurkenSalat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I believe you meant the I-693, which is the medical form.

Timing of the Submission of​ the Medical Examination Report​

The medical examination report may be submitted to USCIS:​​

• Concurrently with the immigration benefit application; or​​

• At any time after filing the immigration benefit application but prior to the adjudication of that application; if not filed concurrently with the immigration benefit application, USCIS encourages applicants to wait until USCIS requests the medical examination report before submitting it.​

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume8-PartB-Chapter4.html#S-C-4

If you are applying for adjustment of status, you may submit Form I-693 in one of the following ways:

Submit Form I-693 by mail, together with your Form I-485, Application to Register for Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to the location specified for your Form I-485 (see “Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-485”).

Submit Form I-693 by mail, after filing your Form I-485, to the location specified in your most recent communication with USCIS (for example, a Request for Evidence letter from USCIS).

Submit Form I-693 in person, at an interview in a USCIS field office (if an interview is required).

Note: To ensure the results of the medical examination are still valid at the time USCIS adjudicates the associated benefit application, applicants should schedule the medical examination as close as possible to the time they file for adjustment of status, respond to a Request for Evidence, or attend an interview (if applicable). Applicants should, however, also provide sufficient time for the performance of laboratory testing or additional testing required under CDC's Technical Instructions.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-693

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

What if you find out you got TB when doing medical test?

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Someone in the March AOS filing thread forgot to do their medical before sending in their AOS package. He received an RFE and it said that he could bring it to the interview. However, I would suggest that you get it done before you send in your AOS package. Not only for your peace of mind, but as stated above, it would probably hinder the process a little if you didn't

AOS package sent : 03/27/2015

AOS package received: 03/30/2015 - (Day 1)

NOA1 E-mail/Text: 04/06/2015 - (Day 8)

NOA1 hard copies: 04/11/2015 - (Day 13)

Biometrics Notice: 04/17/2015 - (Day 19)

Biometrics Appointment: 04/28/2015 - (Day 30)

Timeline

What if you find out you got TB when doing medical test?

Then you will be sent to health dept. for an eval. If you are found to have active TB, then the civil surgeon will not sign off on your I-693 until you are treated. Treatment takes about 6 months.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Then you will be sent to health dept. for an eval. If you are found to have active TB, then the civil surgeon will not sign off on your I-693 until you are treated. Treatment takes about 6 months.

That what I meant, if he is with TB, whole process will be delayed.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Yes, but a medical will expire after one year, even if submitted before it expires. You would have to get a new exam if it expires before approval, so best to get the exam as close as possible to sending off your paperwork, or close to the interview. IF you have TB, then you would be delayed. That is typically not the case for most people though.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.