3 posts in this topic

Hello there,

I have a couple of quick questions regarding the I-864:

1. My wife (USC) is currently also a student. Therefore she doesn't meet the requirements. I understand that she has to fill out the I-864 regardless. My mother-in-law will be the only joint sponsor as her income meets the requirements. Will my father-in-law have to fill out the I-864A (his income is not being used)?

2. Regarding sponsor's household size, I think it should equal three. Is that correct? It would be counting me (the principal immigrant), my mother-in-law and another "1" for spouse. Is this correct? There are no other dependents.

3. What tax information, supporting documentation, etc. will need to be sent in for both my wife, and mother-in-law? (and potentially father-in-law if I'm mistaken)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello there,

I have a couple of quick questions regarding the I-864:

1. My wife (USC) is currently also a student. Therefore she doesn't meet the requirements. I understand that she has to fill out the I-864 regardless. My mother-in-law will be the only joint sponsor as her income meets the requirements. Will my father-in-law have to fill out the I-864A (his income is not being used)?

2. Regarding sponsor's household size, I think it should equal three. Is that correct? It would be counting me (the principal immigrant), my mother-in-law and another "1" for spouse. Is this correct? There are no other dependents.

3. What tax information, supporting documentation, etc. will need to be sent in for both my wife, and mother-in-law? (and potentially father-in-law if I'm mistaken)

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. If your father-in-law's income is not being used, he doesn't need to fill out the I-864A.

2. Yes, that's correct.

3. Yes, both your wife's and your mother-in-law's tax papers are needed. Your father-in-law's tax papers are not needed since his income won't be used.

Edited by Road2Citizenship

You seriously need to read the 13 or so pages of instructions for the form. They cover a lot of detail that gets glossed over in short posts. You don't want to miss the details.

Also know that tax information is not enough for mother-in-law. Her joint tax return with Dad does not separate who makes how much. Her separate income has to be clearly documented in other ways besides her tax return. She must also document that she is a US citizen or permanent resident.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.