e&z

KY drivers

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Just spoke to the transport department today and any non US resident is able to drive in KY with a valid license from their home country for a year after your entry to the US.

If your home country licence is in English you are good to go. If not, you will need an accompanying International driver's permit to translate the licence.

This is great news because it means that I wont have to take my US drivers test for a little while yet.

I just wanted to share what I found out as the information online is a little confusing.

They usually have different laws for when you are a resident, though...which is a grey area with the K-1/AOS process! But yes, I'd say you have until your green card arrives (although once you have the EAD/AP you may be considered a resident?).

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Same on Colorado, visitors get a year.

If you are immigrating you are not a visitor.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Hmm that is true although i'm pretty sure EAD and AP cards both have stated on them something along the lines of 'This card does not grant residency/legal status/is not a visa' or something like that right?

It may well end up taking a year to get my green card at this rate!!

It would of been a real hassle for us, as to apply for a drivers licence you need to show your immigration status as 'legal. And while we all know that when filing for your AOS you are here legally, I have yet to receive my EAD or AP and it's very hard to prove this.

Same on Colorado, visitors get a year.

If you are immigrating you are not a visitor.

Thats what I was worried about but I spoke to two very helpful people at KY department of transport and even if you are a non-US resident then you can drive for a year after entry on your home licence.

:)

Timeline

Taken from the KY transport department website:

"" All non U.S. citizens may drive in the U.S. on their valid foreign license and International Permit for up to one year from the date of admission into the U.S. provided their home country is part of the Geneva Compact. Drivers from non pdficon_small.gifGeneva Compact countries must obtain a Kentucky license within 30 days of establishing residency in Kentucky."

They have a COMPLETELY SEPARATE tourist section, relevant to visitors. The tourist section claims that any tourist with an english language licence does not need an Intl permit.

So I called to clarify whether, as a non U.S citizen with an english language licence I would need an Intl permit in addition to my drivers licence as it clearly does not need translating. I clearly explained that I had just married a US citizen, was living in KY and had applied for a green card.

She confirmed that the Intl drivers permit is for TRANSLATION PURPOSES ONLY. She confirmed that I was fine to drive for a year and was extremely helpful.

Edited by e&z

Timeline

Drivers licenses are a state issue and residency is in that State.

As far as I am aware all States recognise that 12 month thing for visitors. New residents are another thing.

Your quote says that the US allows 12 months, not so.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

If you have immigrated and are living in Kentucky then I would guess that makes you a permanent resident. Tough one to explain to the local police when/if you get pulled over. It's certainly a grey area but this was taken from the same site...

• Persons moving into Kentucky have 30 days to obtain a Kentucky driver's license.
  • To obtain a Kentucky Driver License you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of this country.

Timeline

If you have immigrated and are living in Kentucky then I would guess that makes you a permanent resident. Tough one to explain to the local police when/if you get pulled over. It's certainly a grey area but this was taken from the same site...

• Persons moving into Kentucky have 30 days to obtain a Kentucky driver's license.
  • To obtain a Kentucky Driver License you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of this country.

That is very wrong.

Timeline

But, as someone who is applying for AOS I am not a permanent resident. Not legally anyway (I am applying to become a permanent resident- presumably if my AOS would be denied, god forbid, I would have to leave the US) and I would not be able to prove a legal immigration status without an EAD/AP card at the very least.

When I receive my EAD I may well go and apply for a KY drivers licence as I would need to anyway and best to get it out the way but I was very explicit about my situation- married and living here, applying for a green card- and told by two officers that I was able to drive.

I don't believe your above quote was taken from the page relating solely to non-us residents, which is where I got my quote from. You can actually apply for a drivers licence without being a permeant resident and even as a Non- US citizen- which is why they have a specific page for non-US citizens. This covers those here on a student visa etc. and where it states that you can drive for a year on your home license.

Timeline

Make sure you get it in writing on Official notepaper.

That is very wrong.

Why is it wrong? It was taken from the Kentucky DMV site. Or was it what I wrote? Perhaps you can give an explanation to me so I can understand why it's 'wrong'?

But, as someone who is applying for AOS I am not a permanent resident. Not legally anyway (I am applying to become a permanent resident- presumably if my AOS would be denied, god forbid, I would have to leave the US) and I would not be able to prove a legal immigration status without an EAD/AP card at the very least.

When I receive my EAD I may well go and apply for a KY drivers licence as I would need to anyway and best to get it out the way but I was very explicit about my situation- married and living here, applying for a green card- and told by two officers that I was able to drive.

I don't believe your above quote was taken from the page relating solely to non-us residents, which is where I got my quote from. You can actually apply for a drivers licence without being a permeant resident and even as a Non- US citizen- which is why they have a specific page for non-US citizens. This covers those here on a student visa etc. and where it states that you can drive for a year on your home license.

Don't believe me then but here is the link. As I stated I said it's a grey area if you are considered a permanent resident or not.

http://transportation.ky.gov/Driver-Licensing/Pages/Driver-License-ID-Card-General-Information.aspx

You will find the quote under the Out-of-State Drivers Transferring to Kentucky heading 3/4 of the way down the page.

Timeline

Why is it wrong? It was taken from the Kentucky DMV site. Or was it what I wrote? Perhaps you can give an explanation to me so I can understand why it's 'wrong'?

Its wrong because you can actually apply without being a US citizen or permanent resident, the KY DMV links you to information for such cases.

I think the quote you took refers to applying for your licence at the circuit court clerk's office, where you do have to be a US citizen or permanent resident.

Non US citizens and non permanent residents apply at the division of driver licensing regional office.

Our Frankfort central office location processes Non-U.S. Citizen applications (blue forms) Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 3:30 pm.
Goal: Verify legal status in the U.S. and documentation authenticity/information prior to applying for a Kentucky driver's license.

Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services

• KRS 186.412 requires all non U.S. citizens wishing to apply for a Kentucky driver's license or ID card to make application to a Division of Driver Licensing regio​nal office​. This excludes permanent residents. Once the Division of Driver Licensing approves the application, the license/ID card will be issued from the Circuit Court Clerk's office in the county where the applicant resides.
  • "Permanent Residents" or "Resident Aliens" may go directly to the Circuit Court Clerk's office for licensing. They must present their Permanent Resident card or I-551 with photo issued by BCIS.

Timeline

Think of it for a second, you come here for 5 years on a work visa and can not drive. Who can get a license covers pages.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.