SmallTownPA

Clarification on Translated docs/affidavit

10 posts in this topic

City: Nittany Lion Country Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I've read many places that there needs to be a blurb that states the translator is fluent in english and that it needs to be signed and dated etc.

But My wife has had a Notary in China translate the documents and while there is a 'complete translation etc' paragraph inluded (in Chinese and English) it does not match the wording that the USCIS has.

How big a deal is it to match the 'affidavit' 100%??? Since its a signed and stamped PRC Notorial document is that good enough?

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I had the same issues with my Swedish birth cert. Translators in Sweden get authorised by a government organisation and have a set statement they must put on all translations, which differs from USCIS's wording. I think it will be ok as long as there is a similar statement and a proper seal.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Timeline

No offense TramaDoc but you haven't even gotten your NOA2 yet so you don't know whether your translations will be accepted or not, at this point, you're just guessing. USCIS and the State department says that the translations should be certified translations, which means from a professional translator. Now it might be that they accept just anyone doing the translation or they might deny it, send an RFE and delay the whole process.

Personally, I say better safe than sorry and we had all our documents translated by a certified translator, even though it says that you don't even need to translate documents that are in the same language as of that of the embassy in the country you will have your interview. We received our NOA2 without RFEs and are currently at NVC.

Honestly OP, I would play it safe rather than risk it and get RFE but that's up to you. I've heard of people who got approved even though they did the translation themselves and I've heard about other people who got denied for the same. It all depends who reviews your case and that's why I personally think it's best to just pay that little extra and have a certified translator do it.

Edited by mallafri76

Met online October 2010

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Embassy Stage

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

Timeline

Also OP, you should fill out your timeline so we know what visa you're going for and where you are in the process. That way, you get more accurate answers that relate to your specific visa category.

Met online October 2010

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Embassy Stage

In the US

Timeline

Thanks for all the tips.. I think that the offical Chinese govt issued translation should be OK, but who knows.

As for the timeline... I either have to give out real info (no thanks) or make something up. Make it anonymous and I'll reconsider.

This board is way to hostlie to people who marry on anything other than a K or IC/IR visa... so I'll just stay below the radar.

Edited by SmallTownPA

Timeline

As for the timeline... I either have to give out real info (no thanks) or make something up. Make it anonymous and I'll reconsider.

This board is way to hostlie to people who marry on anything other than a K or IC/IR visa... so I'll just stay below the radar.

In the timeline, all you put is the dates you sent in the varies parts. No one can find out who you are based on that.

If you are saying people are hostile against people who enter the country illegally and then adjust status turn yes of course people are. Those who obtain a green card the illegal way puts a lot of pressure and create a lot of problems for all of us entering the US the legal way.

Met online October 2010

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Embassy Stage

In the US

Timeline

If I leave the name blank it will not let me continue.. so no, no personal information will be given, sorry, nothing against the site. Make it anonymous and I'm there.

And you automatically assumed that my wife did something illegal. There is aboslutely NOTHING ILLEGAL about marrying on a non-immigrant VISA and adjusting status. In fact there is an actual legal process to do it. So, by following the law people who are doing what I am are 'lessor' people??? That my wife is a criminal? That's a pretty bigoted attitude.

So yeah... hostile is the word I will stick with.

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by SmallTownPA

Timeline

If I leave the name blank it will not let me continue.. so no, no personal information will be given, sorry, nothing against the site. Make it anonymous and I'm there.

And you automatically assumed that my wife did something illegal. There is aboslutely NOTHING ILLEGAL about marrying on a non-immigrant VISA and adjusting status.

First of all, you don't have to put your name, you just put whatever you want. I don't think I've ever come across anyone here who put their real full name.

Read my post again, I was not saying that you and your wife was doing anything illegal. I said that people here get hostile when people don't follow the law and the rules. But judging from your attitude, I say you did break immigration rules and know it. FYI, it is ILLEGAL to enter to US on a tourist visa or VWP with the intent to marry and adjust status. At the border, foreigners are asked the reason for their visit. If someone on a non-immigrant visa, such as a tourist visa or the VWP, tells the officer that they are coming to marry and stay for good, they will not be allowed to enter the country. They will be returned to their home country.

Met online October 2010

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Embassy Stage

In the US

Filed: Timeline

Mmm I just browsed the content of this thread to be honest cause my eyes are starting to hurt...

RE translations- this topic has been discussed on here many times.

Anything that needs to be translated just needs to be "certified". Its a loose term. Doesnt have to be by a pro. Can be done by yourself or your spouse if you speak both languages. A simple I certify that I am fluent in both languages is totally acceptable. Never ever have I seen, nor have I heard, and any of the mods or veteran posters can jump in here- of ANYONE being RFE'd or denied or harrassed because they sent in a self verified translation or because their verification statement of the translation did not match the 'preferred wording' statement.

Its simply a preferred wording statement. Preferred. Not required.

SmalltownPA- You are free to fill out your timeline OR NOT. You dont have to. Yes, there are those that take immigration issues quite seriously around here, but the "report button" works quite well. The mods do not tolerate harrassment or bullying at all.

So with that said, mallafri I do appreciate your efforts to get everyone to fill out their timeline. Some have found it more effective and less in your face to add a I dont know what its called but that thing under each post- gosh Im blanking out--- a signature? saying please fill in your timeline?? Its less agressive then asking each new poster. Just a maybe you want to consider that route okay?

I've read many places that there needs to be a blurb that states the translator is fluent in english and that it needs to be signed and dated etc.

But My wife has had a Notary in China translate the documents and while there is a 'complete translation etc' paragraph inluded (in Chinese and English) it does not match the wording that the USCIS has.

How big a deal is it to match the 'affidavit' 100%??? Since its a signed and stamped PRC Notorial document is that good enough?

Thanks!

My BC was translated by notary in Vietnam, wording was completely different and now I am waiting for my Oath so I guess it is okay. Don't sweat over small things. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.