SkullandBoners88

Thanks and giving back with our experience

6 posts in this topic

Fiancee now wife made it to the states in early April.

A little bit of background is we're 4 years apart in age, speak the same language, and never divorced or had kids.

Back in August 2014 started the I-129F with very little evidence (realative to what I've seen) aside from boarding passes, entry/exit stamps from VN, wrote a letter and signed (no notary) saying I intended to marry fiancee within 90 days of her arrival. Just what I felt was the bare necessities for evidence based on my interpretation of the insturctions of the I-129F. In September got an RFE asking for evidence that she intended to marry me within 90 days, so I asked her to hand write word for word a letter I emailed her in English, saying she would comply with the k1 requirements. No notary and no translations needed.

NVC sent the case to Saigon in November. Interview in the middle of March. She followed the instructions from packet 3. No coffee money for police checks, etc. Saigon seemed to be not as corrupt in our case.

I attended interview. The worst part was the wait and the random order of the numbers kinda of like the DMV. I personally got confused with the nonimmigrant/immigrant visa signs because the K1 isn't an immigrant visa, but it is.

Questions were simple, but I don't remember because they were so simple. She was asked questions such as: "What does your fiancee do for a living? What do you do for a living? What was her birthday? How do you guys communicate?"

Consulate officer then asked that I come up and asked me questions in Vietnamese without the translator doing their thing and had to be answered in Vietnamese. The questions and answers didn't matter. It was a test to see if her aswer to how we communicate was congruent. I think it was because I was born and raised in the States. I can't read or write Vietnamese, but conversationally I have no issues. Officer had already had the white slip prepared.

Fiancee said the officer went through the pictures at a ginergly pace. Paid no attention to emails, messages, and call logs.

Officer was generally polite and professional, but my fiancee did not like the translator. She felt the translator was smug is my best description of it.

I only brought this years tax returns and nothing else. No timelines, no notarized anything I hear about. Your mileage may vary.

Just wanted to share my experience because the forums here are really helpful. I hope my experience will help others.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi SkullandBoners88

So for your first package, when you applied in September, What were the documents from beneficiary (financee). then when RFE is sent, you just added in Intent letter?

All your paperwork has no notation?

Thanks.

USCIS:

2016-04-16: Filed I-129F

2016-04-18: USPS tracking shows package as delivered

2016-04-20: NOA1 E-mail received. Routed to CSC for processing.

2016-07-13: NOA2 App Notification. (84 days)

2016-07-19: NOA2 Hard Copy Rec'd

NVC:

2016-07-28: NVC case received

2016-07-29: NVC case #

2016-08-02: NVC left to Embassy (In Transit)

Embassy:

2016-08-04: Case is "READY"

2016-09-07: Medical exam

2016-09-12: Interview (APPROVED)

2016-10-01: JFK POE (Ticket booked)

event.png

I had the i-129f, G325A for both of us, passport stamps to prove I was in VN, passport style photos, and my birth certificate. I only had an intent to marry letter written by me as evidence and that wasn't enough for CIS. Otherwise I followed the instructions of the i-129f.

Reading from the forums I figured we didn't have any red flags so I made the decision to not front load with a ton of evidence.

Be sure to at least have your fiancee sign the G325A ahead of time. That way you don't have to wait for her to sign and mail it to you like I did.

The missing evidence CIS wanted was a commitment from her to get married in 90 days. (RFE)

I asked her to do a standard letter with a title, name, address and in the body to write: I, (fiancee name), am legally and willing to marry, (petioner name) within 90 days of my arrival as required by the K1 visa.

No notary and translation required since it was all in English. CIS didn't seem to mind as long as it had her signature. Took about a week to get from Vietnam via EMS(Express Mail Service), but it was reliable and tracking was excellent.

Again each situation is unique, but if you're like us never married, no kids, common language, and small age difference I would relax.

BTW we went through CSC, which looking at other people's cases we were very fortunate. I really hope the other service centers can get past any issues so loved ones can be reunited.

Edited by SkullandBoners88

Timeline

Thanks a lot for your reply, as we are going to submit our package by end of this year. So better have well prepared for not getting any delay.

Coz my case is a bit different, as we met in Malaysia (i am here for working) but will get back Vietnam next year to help my petitioner for paperwork as I thought it will come up with notation. I will post another thread on this.

USCIS:

NVC:

Embassy:

event.png

Thanks a lot for your reply, as we are going to submit our package by end of this year. So better have well prepared for not getting any delay.

Coz my case is a bit different, as we met in Malaysia (i am here for working) but will get back Vietnam next year to help my petitioner for paperwork as I thought it will come up with notation. I will post another thread on this.

If you met your fiancee in Malasyia they'll forsure need evidence that you guys were in the same place and time within the last two years. Pictures and passport stamps at the bare minimum.

Goodluck to you.

Timeline

thanks bro, noted. Thats not an issue.

USCIS:

NVC:

Embassy:

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.