SemperAye

One Way Tickets Out of America To the Philippines

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am an American married to a Filipino Citizen. Can my wife and I buy one way tickets to the Philippines, or will they ask us for round trip or throw-away tickets? We will be staying there for 4 years while I attend school, the plan is to enter on a balikbayan visa, and have the school file for a change to student visa before the first year is up.

Thanx in advance

03/12/2010 - I-129F Mailed to Vermont

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

06/02/2010 - Email Received "Approved"! (that was fast)

I am an American married to a Filipino Citizen. Can my wife and I buy one way tickets to the Philippines, or will they ask us for round trip or throw-away tickets? We will be staying there for 4 years while I attend school, the plan is to enter on a balikbayan visa, and have the school file for a change to student visa before the first year is up.

Thanx in advance

No problem with purchasing one way tickets since you avail yourself to the balikbayan visa.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

No problem with purchasing one way tickets since you avail yourself to the balikbayan visa.

Great thanx.

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

Thanx in advance

If your wife holds an US GC, you might want to look into the details of what she must do to keep the GC, otherwise if you decide to return to the US you will need to file for a spousal visa before she can re-enter.

Dave

Timeline

If your wife holds an US GC, you might want to look into the details of what she must do to keep the GC, otherwise if you decide to return to the US you will need to file for a spousal visa before she can re-enter.

Dave

To keep the GC she has to file an intent to return and can only be gone 3 years I believe, but people have done this for much longer and not had issues...but we are not taking the risk. This isn't a problem because she will be a US Citizen VERY soon. Thanx.

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanx in advance

You, as a USC, will need a throw away ticket or a resident visa. The balikbayan stamp is not a visa, but is a privilege (and you do not receive that stamp until you arrive in the Phils so can't show it to the airlines), which you can renew once a year (day short of once a year) ;) . The issue is not when arriving in the Philippines, it is with the airlines, without a round trip ticket, continued travel airfare out of the Philippines (the throw-away ticket) or a resident visa the airline may not even allow you on the airplane.

As for your wife, she is a Filipino citizen, she needs nothing to stay in her home country. BUT if she does not have her U.S. citizenship, she has other issues to address regarding her green card, it is very possible for her to lose her Legal Permanent Resident status. I just read your other post, your wife will soon have her citizenship... looks like you have all the ducks quacking in a row. :thumbs:

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

You, as a USC, will need a throw away ticket or a resident visa. The balikbayan stamp is not a visa, but is a privilege (and you do not receive that stamp until you arrive in the Phils so can't show it to the airlines), which you can renew once a year (day short of once a year) ;) . The issue is not when arriving in the Philippines, it is with the airlines, without a round trip ticket, continued travel airfare out of the Philippines (the throw-away ticket) or a resident visa the airline may not even allow you on the airplane.

As for your wife, she is a Filipino citizen, she needs nothing to stay in her home country. BUT if she does not have her U.S. citizenship, she has other issues to address regarding her green card, it is very possible for her to lose her Legal Permanent Resident status. I just read your other post, your wife will soon have her citizenship... looks like you have all the ducks quacking in a row. :thumbs:

I have been researching this as of late, and I can't find what the round trip ticketing requirement is other than the Filipino can enter without a return but the USC must have a return or onward ticket. Best if OP calls the Consulate in their area to verify the travel restrictions. If he were to buy a ticket "onward" to HK that would satisfy the US airlines who fall under the Phil Law and he would then be able to enter with the Balikbayan Program. So in spirit I tend to agree with your recommendation.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

I have been researching this as of late, and I can't find what the round trip ticketing requirement is other than the Filipino can enter without a return but the USC must have a return or onward ticket. Best if OP calls the Consulate in their area to verify the travel restrictions. If he were to buy a ticket "onward" to HK that would satisfy the US airlines who fall under the Phil Law and he would then be able to enter with the Balikbayan Program. So in spirit I tend to agree with your recommendation.

So if my wife becomes a USC with a US Passport, then she would need a one way ticket to HK as well as I? I mean...how is the airline to tell she is a Filipino by birth other then by her nose hahah. What is to say she isn't 1/2 Filipino and 1/2 American born in the US and flying to the Philippines for vacation....

Edited by SemperAye

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

So if my wife becomes a USC with a US Passport, then she would need a one way ticket to HK as well as I? I mean...how is the airline to tell she is a Filipino by birth other then by her nose hahah. What is to say she isn't 1/2 Filipino and 1/2 American born in the US and flying to the Philippines for vacation....

I think I've replied to you guys in the past regarding this. I went to med school here and had a balikbayan stamp converted in-country into a student visa.

They'll know she's Filipina by birth because in her soon to come US Passport in the Bio page it will say "PLACE OF BIRTH - PHILIPPINES"

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Audentes Fortuna Adiuvat"

==========

Dec 11, 2014 - Filed I-130 via DCF @ US Embassy Manila (...and we're on the clock...) - Read about my experience filing DCF here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527064-filed-dcf-i-130-for-ir-1-at-us-embassy-manila-aar/

Dec 11, 2014 - NOA1: Not sure what to put here, Dec 11, 2014, Dec 24, 2014 or something in between.

Dec 24, 2014 - NOA2: I called USCIS @ USEM on Jan 5, 2015 and was told the I-130 was approved on Christmas Eve. Thank you Santa!

Jan 13, 2015 - MNL Case Number & Packet 3 Received via email (I emailed the IV Unit-Manila requesting these on Jan 5, 2015 and Jan 12, 2015)

Jan 21, 2015 - NOA2: Mailed (via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to our place here in Manila.

Jan 22, 2015 - Packet 3: Mailed (again via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to out place here in Manila.

Feb 24 & 25, 2015 - Day 1 & Day 2 of Medical @ SLEC. Immunizations given on Day 2, thankfully

Mar 5, 2015 - USEM Interview Appointment - IR-1 Visa Approved! (CEAC Status updated to ISSUED afternoon of interview day)

Mar 10, 2015 - 3pm - Received SMS saying IV Package ready for pickup at 2GO MoA. Picked up at 5pm. (Shipped/Picked Up/In Hand on 3rd Business Day post interview)

Mar 13, 2015 - CFO Manila - Done

==========

Now disposing/selling/giving away/shipping to the US stuff from 14 years in the PHL and 4 years together before heading to POE.

Nose :rofl: My wife makes comments about her nose. Doesn't like the Filipino nose wants an American nose. :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Nose :rofl: My wife makes comments about her nose. Doesn't like the Filipino nose wants an American nose. :rolleyes:

So does my wife as well. She got kinda upset when our daughter came out with my wife's nose and not mine.

Don't get me started on the prevalence of skin whitening everything in this country.

After years, I finally got my wife to appreciate her Arianny Celeste-like skin tone.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Audentes Fortuna Adiuvat"

==========

Dec 11, 2014 - Filed I-130 via DCF @ US Embassy Manila (...and we're on the clock...) - Read about my experience filing DCF here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527064-filed-dcf-i-130-for-ir-1-at-us-embassy-manila-aar/

Dec 11, 2014 - NOA1: Not sure what to put here, Dec 11, 2014, Dec 24, 2014 or something in between.

Dec 24, 2014 - NOA2: I called USCIS @ USEM on Jan 5, 2015 and was told the I-130 was approved on Christmas Eve. Thank you Santa!

Jan 13, 2015 - MNL Case Number & Packet 3 Received via email (I emailed the IV Unit-Manila requesting these on Jan 5, 2015 and Jan 12, 2015)

Jan 21, 2015 - NOA2: Mailed (via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to our place here in Manila.

Jan 22, 2015 - Packet 3: Mailed (again via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to out place here in Manila.

Feb 24 & 25, 2015 - Day 1 & Day 2 of Medical @ SLEC. Immunizations given on Day 2, thankfully

Mar 5, 2015 - USEM Interview Appointment - IR-1 Visa Approved! (CEAC Status updated to ISSUED afternoon of interview day)

Mar 10, 2015 - 3pm - Received SMS saying IV Package ready for pickup at 2GO MoA. Picked up at 5pm. (Shipped/Picked Up/In Hand on 3rd Business Day post interview)

Mar 13, 2015 - CFO Manila - Done

==========

Now disposing/selling/giving away/shipping to the US stuff from 14 years in the PHL and 4 years together before heading to POE.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Nope, she does not need a throw-away. She can complete her dual citizenship, then she will have both passports. Most do this. OR

IF... if she has just gotten her new U.S. passport and hasn't completed dual citizenship, all she needs to do is bring her Philippine passport with her anyway. Either way she is golden.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Thanx in advance

US Citizen will not be allowed entry to Philippines with one way ticket. Been there.

You must show return ticket during check in at Hong Kong, if you do not have one - they will not check you in.

They also check your return flight at immigration, once you land in Philippines. Its needed only for entry, noone checks when you actually depart.

There are exceptions that apply to various Visas, if you have one, but I assume you will use non-visa entry.

Your partner can enter on Philippine passport.

So buy round trip ticket from Hong Kong, and throw it away.

Departing US for period of 4 years is likely to create issues with your partners legal status in US, unless he/she is a US Citizen.

If he/she is not US Citizen yet, and is in process of getting his/her legal status - you should consult with immigration attorney.

In most cases leaving US more than a year will cause Immigration to see it as abandonment of permanent resident status in the US and they may revoke Permanent Resident status.

Be very careful.

Edited by MSF

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.